Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Project: ELITE» Forums » General

Subject: Storage Solutions/Foamcore. Anyone tried? *Now with my attempt included! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played the game a bunch, I'm finally mixing in the Alien pack and expansion extras, and it looks like it'll be a total mess to organise. I'm pretty happy building things out of foamcore, but I was wondering if anyone has done so and has any tips on how to order it all. I'm guessing a 2 box solution, maybe the maps and some other stuff in the Alien Pack box, then all the minis in the main box.

Would love to hear if anyone has any pointers on this.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Storage Solutions/Foamcore. Anyone tried?
I'm putting one together right now. It's my first attempt at doing foam core but so far going well. Plan is maps and minis in the big box, and everything else in an expansion box, with mega bosses kept separately. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Just finished the insert for the main box.

Fits all aliens, as well as both boards and the rulebooks. Not too bad for my first try at an insert, I'd say.

Tomorrow I'll start work on the insert for the expansion box. Hoping to make some removable trays for the tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that all the Minis except the miniboss and characters? I'm fine building them, but I'm awful at judging in advance how big to make a storage area, and on something which feels like it's going to be a tight fit, I don't think I can afford to be too wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's all the minis except megabosses and characters. I'll keep the characters in the expansion box and likely just keep the mega bosses on a shelf.

Figuring out the size for the compartments for the standard aliens was the hardest part. I didn't plan everything out ahead of time but figured it out as I went. I cut out a wall and just threw all the biters in the box and pushed things around until I found a spot where I thought would work, and then that's where I glued the wall in.

At first I was hoping the blue, green, and red aliens would all fit in the back row and I would have the characters in one of the smaller compartments but it just doesn't all fit, so I took the characters out and put the blue aliens there instead. The blue aliens barely fit, but I also have several extra since I kept both the "wrong" and "right" versions of the advanced alien cards and kept enough of the old glossy minis to use all the cards. With just the replacement advanced aliens they would fit with plenty of room.

I can measure things out and give you the dimensions if you'd like. My 6 smaller compartments were all supposed to be the same size but some ended up bigger than others and it ended up working out well since some aliens (like the guardians) take up more room than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was planning on only having 5 base alien compartments, and just putting the blues in the same place as their basic variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:
I was planning on only having 5 base alien compartments, and just putting the blues in the same place as their basic variants.

Hmm, an interesting idea! Would possibly make them a bit easier to find. I'll check and see if I have enough room to do that with my compartments as is. If so, I could keep the characters in that box as well, and would free up some room for the other box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
Ogrecrusher wrote:

Hmm, an interesting idea! Would possibly make them a bit easier to find. I'll check and see if I have enough room to do that with my compartments as is. If so, I could keep the characters in that box as well, and would free up some room for the other box.

Finished my Madeira one last week, so this is next on the list. Will attempt a go at it this week I think. Will keep you posted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:
Felkor wrote:
Ogrecrusher wrote:

Finished my Madeira one last week, so this is next on the list. Will attempt a go at it this week I think. Will keep you posted!

Nice! As I mentioned, this is my first time ever trying to make my own insert. It's been a learning experience! I sure am glad we live in the age of Internet though - some Youtube tutorials sure helped out a lot.

I should mention that for my insert, I used poster / Bristol board for the bottom, rather than foam core, to give myself as much space in the box as possible for the minis. It definitely would have been harder fitting everything in with foam core on the bottom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished my insert!

Posted about it here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25280761
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Made a start on mine tonight, going for a slightly different setup, hope I can still get it all together like you did. If anything has to go I think I'll just leave the grey objective holders in the 3rd box, often don't use them anyway.

Mine is white though, prefer using black, but white means I have 3mm board rather than just the 5mm that I have black in. I feel it could be precious extra space!

So far I've fitted all the grey/blue soldiers + the mega boss into the alien pack box. Will try and find time this week to finish the rest later this week. http://imgur.com/a/evXmE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:
Made a start on mine tonight, going for a slightly different setup, hope I can still get it all together like you did. If anything has to go I think I'll just leave the grey objective holders in the 3rd box, often don't use them anyway.

Mine is white though, prefer using black, but white means I have 3mm board rather than just the 5mm that I have black in. I feel it could be precious extra space!

So far I've done fitted all the grey/blue soldiers + the mega boss into the alien pack box. Will try and find time this week to finish the rest later this week. http://imgur.com/a/evXmE

Looks good! Yeah, any extra space you can get is probably worth it. I measured what I found and it's 4mm.

Are you going for a 3 box solution then? Or do you think you can fit everything else in the main box?

I've ordered one of the other megabosses (won it for $5 in a BGG auction), and now I'll probably buy the final 3rd one as well, perhaps straight from Drawlab. Once I have all 3 I might try to figure out some soft of Mega Boss box, but until then, I'm happy having them on the shelf.

I wasn't planning on putting all the grey objective tokens in to begin with, but found that they just fit so well to have all of them across, that I couldn't resist.

Anyways, I love what you're doing with yours so far - really has some style to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping to get everything else in the main box, but willing to sacrifice the objective tokens if something has to give! It's been a pain trying to take the game to board game meetups in pubs and carrying 3 whole boxes. Getting down to 2 would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:
Hoping to get everything else in the main box, but willing to sacrifice the objective tokens if something has to give! It's been a pain trying to take the game to board game meetups in pubs and carrying 3 whole boxes. Getting down to 2 would be great.

Yeah, I hear ya! For me reducing the table space was important too. Before I had bags of minis scattered all over the place and I ended up using 2 tables to play it most of the time. Now all the minis are in 1 box that sits on the table, the other box can be tucked away somewhere, and there's lots of available table space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally finished mine today. I've gone for a bit of a different setup, most of the minis in the smaller box, as shown earlier.

Then for the main box.

Remove the maps and rules...

First set of removable trays...

Then removable card trays to sit beside the board... (bosses under player aids)

All Trays removed from box, though the main one would typically stay in the box as the parts from it are only used during setup.

Tools of the trade.

Pretty happy with this, was only able to include one set of the objective holders, but frankly that's all I'm expecting to use.

Hope this helps someone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was 5 months ago but I came up with this:

One box solution

Not the nicest but it is all in one "box."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.