Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Haught
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi all,

I just posted a new article going on the Dice Mechanics of the game.

Here the link to the article

Rolling and Modifying Your Dice.
http://doctorwho.gf9games.com/HowToPlay/tabid/117/entryid/14...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds very promising! Thanks for the info.

It looks a bit though as if a four player game may have a bit of downtime with all that rolling, manipulating and rerolling. Can you comment on that?

Mind you, this is not meant as a criticism but as a real question - while I love dice manipulation, games with a lot of it tend to have too much downtime for my taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Haught
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
It can be for the first turn or so but once players get used to how the game works (as with any game) the game speeds up. They know what dice they need to create their dice pool at a glance, and what modifications their cards and resources allow.

On top of that, there are things other players can do to help the current player out. There are some Timey-Wimey cards that can be played to aid another player and the current player can request another Doctor to help theirs during advantures. Helping Doctors become active players in the turn and can create a limited dice pool of their own to roll, but that's another article =).

Like in most Co-op focused games, even when it's not your turn you are engaged in the game, either by giving advice or in the case of helping taking an active role in another player's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Andrew thanks for all the info. Speaking of time, about how long do you think a game will take once everyone gets the game rules down. Obviously the more players the longer it would take. How long do you think a 2 player game would take, and a 4 player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Haught
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
sgpigeon wrote:
Andrew thanks for all the info. Speaking of time, about how long do you think a game will take once everyone gets the game rules down. Obviously the more players the longer it would take. How long do you think a 2 player game would take, and a 4 player game?

It really depends on the play group. I have one that loves to joke around and banter constantly during games, their games can take twice as long as another group that I have that still joke around, but not as much, and are a bit more focused in the game.

I find that 4 player games can take anywhere from one hour to three hours depending on the group. I found that Playtesters once they got into the swing of things, averaged about 2-hour games. 5-6 player games take a lot longer.

2 player games can be quicker but I don't have any numbers for that on hand, I believe they averaged about an hour and twenty min.

These numbers don't factor in setup time, but there is not much to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Haught
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Just posted more on the game mechanics, http://doctorwho.gf9games.com/Home/tabid/56/entryid/152/Defa...

This week we look at how Doctors can help each other during an Adventure, and how Regeneration works in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yitzhak Gabay
Israel
flag msg tools
Hello Andrew,

I find the help-from-another-doctor rules confusing.

The goal of the game is to race the Dalek ship to the Matrix finish line.
Why would I invite another doctor's help for any given adventure dilemma knowing that the cost is to automatically advance the Dalek ship two spaces which is as bad or worse an outcome than simply failing the adventure challenge solo?

The call for help also costs 2 resources and does not increase your combined dice pool. You may still fail the challenge (especially if daleks reduce your dice pool) and thus suffer additional costs/penalties from the fail condition.

Why not go it alone every time ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew - This probably deserves it's own thread, but I'm here already, so: given the somewhat(?) coop nature of the gameplay, will solitaire play be possible, either as multiple doctors or a single doctor? I really, really hope so, as a solo fan and a DW fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Haught
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
YitzGabay wrote:
Hello Andrew,

I find the help-from-another-doctor rules confusing.

The goal of the game is to race the Dalek ship to the Matrix finish line.
Why would I invite another doctor's help for any given adventure dilemma knowing that the cost is to automatically advance the Dalek ship two spaces which is as bad or worse an outcome than simply failing the adventure challenge solo?

The call for help also costs 2 resources and does not increase your combined dice pool. You may still fail the challenge (especially if daleks reduce your dice pool) and thus suffer additional costs/penalties from the fail condition.

Why not go it alone every time ?

It depends on the situation. Helping at a Doctor's location is rare, this sort of help is used for dire situation or when the reward exceeds the downside.

Also remember there are two ways a Doctor can help another Doctor. Helping from afar only costs one resource and will not move the Dalek ship. In games, Helping from afar is common, getting players out of jams and preventing nasty Fail Costs from going off.

This game is a Co-Op game, Doctors win together or lose together so helping can be the best way to prevent a loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Haught
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
Andrew - This probably deserves it's own thread, but I'm here already, so: given the somewhat(?) coop nature of the gameplay, will solitaire play be possible, either as multiple doctors or a single doctor? I really, really hope so, as a solo fan and a DW fan.

I played a few solo games myself, so yes it is possible with a bit of tweaking. Basically you go through the Timey-Wimey Deck and take out the cards that target other Doctors, or mutable Doctors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.