Popular Tags: [View All]
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys!

I'm sure I could find this info somewhere if I tried hard enough, but I thought I'd come right to the source!

What are GeekBuddies? How do they work? What do they do? How do I collect them? Does anyone want to be my friend?

Mostly: what do they do?
I'm a bit of a solo flyer, but I think I'd like to see what all you cool kids are adding to your collections and what you're interested in.

Basically I'm trying to get out of my own board game filter bubble!

(Please ignore the ratings of games in my collection, unless it's a 10. 10 means I love it. Otherwise, the numbers don't really mean much. If it's in my collection, it means I like it.)

Um, yeah... Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
acklevoy wrote:
Hi guys!
What are GeekBuddies? How do they work? What do they do? How do I collect them? Does anyone want to be my friend?

#1 In Short, just like Friends on FaceBook.

#2 If you look at someone's Avatar/User name, just above it you will see a downward pointing arrow. Click it, and a menu drops down. The 4th item down is a green dot with a + in it. Hit that, you add a GeekBuddy

#3. I primarily use them as a game guide. On each game's individual page, there's a large colored hexagon with the game's rating. Just to the right, there's a link: "GeekBuddy Analysis" Click that, and it brings up a list of all your GeekBuddies who have rated and/or commented on the game. it's quicker than scrolling through all the ratings.

#4 Added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
This symbol opens the pulldown menu.

You can analyze a game using GeekBuddies, so that's one criterion for adding them: they seem to share your taste in games.

Also, they're just a way to keep track of users you like or who are local to you. (You can also subscribe to users using the same , but some users generate a lot of traffic. mbwhistle)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks guys laugh

I'm gonna go get following some cool cats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean how do we know how geeky they are? And just look at it, 'GeekBuddy'. Is it two words? One word with two capital letters, how weird is that? I heard that you used to be able to GeekBuddy yourself! How does that even work? What's the deal with GeekBuddies indeed!

Ahem, sorry about that. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
jdw734 wrote:
I mean how do we know how geeky they are? And just look at it, 'GeekBuddy'. Is it two words? One word with two capital letters, how weird is that?

Not very weird among those, like programmers, who have to label things absolutely distinctly. Videlicit:

CamelCase: Like the humps on a camel, CapitalLettersSeparate semantic elements.

Under_Score: Some conventions use actual separators, like an underscore (_) to separate_semantic_elements. Underscore isn't the only character used. Instead of under_score, one might see under.score, under|score, and so forth. There's no right or wrong, just convenient and inconvenient (in a particular language, among particular collegues,....)

Others: Other conventions are used. In English we commonly use "open" "not with standing", hyphenated, "not-with-standing", or "closed", "notwithstanding"--several English prose conventions violated for clarity...well, intended clarity.

No absolute rules exist that apply to all situations, except:

"It's just semantics," betrays a complete misunderstanding of the word Semantics. Semantics is meaning. Nothing is more fundamental. When people say, Ït's just semantics," they mean, "It's just what label you apply to something." But that's a very different thing.

jdw734 wrote:
I heard that you used to be able to GeekBuddy yourself! How does that even work? What's the deal with GeekBuddies indeed!

Basically, it's just a way to keep track of users you might otherwise lose track of. Unfortunately, the Contributions tab in our profiles divides messages up, and they are not easily correllated. So, those of use who are chronically confused, write without thinking, ad nauseum are left with some difficulty when we wake up the next day asking ourselves, did I really write that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha thanks for the feedback. I tried to GeekBuddy myself about a year or so ago precisely for the reason you mentioned, and the site rejected it. Too bad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.