Subject: 9th circuit ruling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: But_Obama_Did_it! [+] "Toxic"_Drink! [+] [View All]
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming in about a 15 min to an hour from the time of this post. This should be interesting. The Donald is already sounding like he thinks it will go against him. We will see

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Anderson
msg tools
It did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Microsoft News and Drudge got it simultaneously. Ahh, the Drudge alarm bell...

APPEALS COURT KEEPS DOORS OPEN
RULES AGAINST TRUMP

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-02-09/appea...
http://nypost.com/2017/02/09/federal-appeals-court-rules-aga...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised that they argued from intent: that Trump has said enough on the campaign trail to reveal this truly is against Muslims. Wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idiotic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Idiotic.

Based on what legal grounds is it idiotic? Give your legal argumentation. Or is it just not what you want, so people who have spent decades of their lives studying the law are a bunch of morons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Anderson
msg tools
einsteinidahosu wrote:
I'm surprised that they argued from intent: that Trump has said enough on the campaign trail to reveal this truly is against Muslims. Wow.

His Twitter alone makes the intent argument a slam dunk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Idiotic.

I assume you are talking about the Donald who has now endangered the lives of all Americans. I can't imagine anything more dumb than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1182

He can suspend entry of aliens of any class as deemed necessary.
The end.
He has the power to do this.
YES, YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT, and I get that. That does not make it ILLEGAL.
It is CLEARLY not a Muslim ban as about 85% of the worlds Muslims can STILL come here.

So this is just idiotic.

Remind me how outraged you were when Obama did something similar 19 times.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/02/democrat-presidents-...

Quote:

Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate. Whenever the Attorney General finds that a commercial airline has failed to comply with regulations of the Attorney General relating to requirements of airlines for the detection of fraudulent documents used by passengers traveling to the United States (including the training of personnel in such detection), the Attorney General may suspend the entry of some or all aliens transported to the United States by such airline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Logically, they're also three separate issues. Why not* separate the refugee issue, from the the immigration issue, from the homegrown radicalization issue? There's a strong case for more vetting, especially from Saudi Arabia (9/11), or at least better information sharing between agencies. European Islamist terrorist attacks have been perpetrated by immigrants and refugees. However, most of these attacks were committed by self-radicalized citizens. And in the US, after 9/11, 100% of Islamist terrorist attacks were committed by self-radicalized citizens.

*Obviously I mean by smart and dedicated career employees who know what they're doing, not Trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Dashi, you have no idea what the law even says. For your education, I'll give you a nice link to read it: https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0...

Show me which powers the president has that are not limited by "has reasonable grounds to believe"? If the president tries to ban people from a certain country without having a good reason to do it, then he is overstepping his authority. That is the difference between Trump and Obama. Every time Obama banned people from entering, it was due to a specific terrorist threat, not just because they were muslim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Idiotic.

I know, right? One of the most idiotic executive orders ever hastily scribbled on toilet paper. What a waste of time and taxpayer dollars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Dashi, you have no idea what the law even says. For your education, I'll give you a nice linke to read it: https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0...

Show me which powers the president has that are not limited by "has reasonable grounds to believe"? If the president tries to ban people from a certain country without having a good reason to do it, then he is overstepping his authority. That is the difference between Trump and Obama. Every time Obama banned people from entering, it was due to a specific terrorist threat, not just because they were muslim.

What does good reason translate too in your world?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

The end.
It is CLEARLY not a Muslim ban as about 85% of the worlds Muslims can STILL come here.

So this is just idiotic.

Quote:

Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate. Whenever the Attorney General finds that a commercial airline has failed to comply with regulations of the Attorney General relating to requirements of airlines for the detection of fraudulent documents used by passengers traveling to the United States (including the training of personnel in such detection), the Attorney General may suspend the entry of some or all aliens transported to the United States by such airline.

I read all 19 listed for Obama, which one did you think compared to Trump's again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xuzuthor wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

The end.

So this is just idiotic.

Quote:

I read all 19 listed for Obama, which one did you think compared to Trump's again?

Calling out cognitive dissonance will lead to a toxic environment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

The outrage is because Trump does not know what he is doing, he has no experience in ANYTHING in life other than cheating people in real estate. Therefore he demands an immediate order without spending the months necessary to check with legal counsels and defense staff. Even the Bush Administration spent a lot of time working out their controversial orders. He also ordered CBP agents to ignore the first court orders and stays for 24 hours, causing outrage because federal agents were in contempt of court. Allow me to cite:

wrote:
The 1789 Judiciary Act:

"SEC . 27. And be it further enacted, That a marshal shall be appointed in and for each district for the term of four years, but shall be removable from office at pleasure, whose duty it shall be to attend the district and circuit courts when sitting therein, and also the Supreme Court in the District in which that court shall sit. And to execute throughout the district, all lawful precepts directed to him, and issued under the authority of the United States, and he shall have power to command all necessary assistance in the execution of his duty, and to appoint as there shall be occasion, one or more deputies..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Anderson
msg tools
TheDashi wrote:

If they wanted it to sell it that way maybe Trump and his people shouldn't have run their mouths about it being about banning Muslims.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/316726-giuliani-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, I have a question I never asked and it's not applicable at the moment but I'll ask it anyway?

Extreme vetting... what is that? Is it like they have to fill out their paperwork to come here while people are shooting at them? That seems like it'd be some extreme vetting.

It's also happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
xuzuthor wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

The end.

So this is just idiotic.

Quote:

Calling out cognitive dissonance will lead to a toxic environment.

I am sorry that you feel upset and will try to word it in a way that does not upset you in the future if at all possible. (was just saying quickly, was not meaning to snark - I honestly wanted to know if I missed something)

I have read all of the 19 listed for Obama, but did not find any that I thought were as broad as Trump's. Which one(s) stood out to you as being similar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump tweeting from his safe space, in all caps like a twelve-year old denied another hour of video game time:

Quote:
SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Anderson
msg tools
Who'd a thunk it that being the non- PC candidate who tells it like it is would come back and bite Trump in the ass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here is a part of the ruling that almost made me drive off the road. And I wonder how I missed it before

Quote:
The court rejected the administration's claim that it did not have the authority to review the president's executive order.

"There is no precedent to support this claimed unreviewability, which runs contrary to the fundamental structure of our constitutional democracy," the court said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-t...

This is a rather terrifying look into the mindset of this administration
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading through the court's decision I'm a stuck by the depth and breadth of this administration's ineptitude in both crafting and defending this EO.

I suppose I should be glad of small mercies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

The end.

So this is just idiotic.

Quote:

Like all other laws they are subject to the constitution.

Quote:
A federal appeals court Thursday refused to let President Trump reinstitute a temporary ban on travelers from seven majority-Muslim nations, ruling that it violates the due process rights of people affected without a sufficient national security justification.

The unanimous verdict quoted a 75-year-old Supreme Court precedent that said courts have a duty “in time of war as well as in time of peace, to preserve unimpaired the constitutional safeguards of civil liberty.”

In the ruling they are stating the government did not make its case to overrule the lower court. Issues this big have to have the greatest scrutiny. Ramming laws (or in this case Executive Orders) through while screaming "national security" is how we lose our rights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.