Subject: Retreats, Rivers & EZOCs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Spetz

Tampa Bay Area -Pinellas County
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the image below, 10Pz (and the mech unit under it. Both full strength) have to retreat 2 hexes in the direction of the GD division.

Question is, can they?

What would be the end result be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a tricky one.

My reading of the rules is that you cannot, since both starting and destination hexes either side of the river are in enemy ZOC, and friendly units do not negate enemy ZOC.

The hesitation here is that GER motorized units ignore step loses when retreating through enemy ZOC but I believe the first rule is still true.

This would lead into elimination of the unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think.....

There is only one option which is to move/retreat east. Hex 2520 then 2521. And since 2520 is still a EZOC, a step loss(with each unit) must be taken with this retreat movement. Note(rule 9.5.4): Even thou unit is motorized, it still must take loss since the hex entered does not have a friendly unit in it.

I think rule 9.5.6 second bullet cancels the move across the major river because both start and entered hex are both in EZOC. Also, rule 6.0 ZOC example states ZOC includes across major river.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Spetz

Tampa Bay Area -Pinellas County
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the game designer, "Hi Martin...you have to retreat to 2521 and then to 2520. Each unit would lose a step.

Per the rules, you can't retreat over a major river in an enemy ZOC."

So Steve, you pegged it! We didn't even think of that at the time. We killed them per the river ZOC retreat rule(s) and having to retreat towards a friendly supply source (though re-reading that now, it's not mandatory to retreat towards supply).

Now I wonder if I can come up with a way to bring back the reduced units thats agreeable to the other 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.