Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Ideas for adding more theme to town visits rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Koor

Missouri
msg tools
mb
We're loving this game, but one thing that seems like it needs a bit more attention is your time in town. Sure, you get a city encounter, and get to read a short encounter which adds some story, but other than that you have the option of sifting through a market deck and then heading back out of town. Other than the town card text, your time in town is pretty much bathroom break time and getting a drink refill.

I recently saw the idea of sorting the market cards into a three ring binder and started thinking of how I could expand on that. I've now ordered the euro mini card 3 ring binder inserts and plan on arranging the unlocked items into different pages representing stores (i.e. potions at the alchemy shop, weapons/armor at the smith, etc) and making a graphic for each shop representing the shop and the shopkeeper. As the town prosperity grows, so will the selection and the stores binder. This is all just for theme, and includes no changes to rules. It would save me having to sort the deck out into individual piles every time someone wants to shop.

Another thought of mine was to use one of my Pathfinder maps to represent the town visit. There's a good one I picked up a few years back that shows a town square with market tents set out https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81IrpAmJRnL.... This would serve no real purpose other than to add even more stuff to the table, but I think it would help add to the enjoyment of the game.

I really hope we get some future content that fleshes out the city aspect of Gloomhaven. I love how the town levels up and we get more sales options, but it feels more like we are just always at a scenario followed by a merchant run, then back in the field.

Perhaps I should work on building a variant that adds more city stuff.

What do you think of your city visits? What would you like to see come to the town of Gloomhaven?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hatch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I have no interest in dragging out the shopping experience. I prefer the utilitarian set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Koor

Missouri
msg tools
mb
Understandable. It doesn't really have to drag out the experience though. Instead of taking the time to sort and stack piles onto the table you just pull out a few binders that already have the items sorted in them. A person wanting potions grabs the alchemist binder. Weapons would choose the smith, etc.

Another thing that would be great would be a random locked inventory item. Each time you went to town a single one of the still locked items would be randomly placed in the towns inventory for that visit only. That item would be 2x or 3x the listed price so that it hopefully wouldn't unbalance the game. I'm just tossing around ideas. I like the balance of the game, but love little features like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do u have a link for the binder and pages ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Baker
Canada
Taber
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
noahshu wrote:
Do u have a link for the binder and pages ?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Da...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.S. Barker
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When the town levels up, side quests could be opened that involve finding better merchants. The whole idea of a town just getting better items immediately when prosperity levels up could be expanded. Search for a better merchant, whom is skilled in specific items. So a Random mechanic could be used to discover what happens on a side quest.

RM = Random Mechanic: shuffle (1) player's hand and randomly draw 1 card - the initiative # presented provides what happens:

Example:
You are asked to travel to the southern tip of Dagger Forest to deliver a curative to a forest hermit. On the return trip, you encounter (use RM):

01-14: Elnord Nuehazel, a traveling smith able to add enchantments to armor. He will travel to the city with you. All armor items move to level 2.

15-28: A wagon with broken wheel. Do you attempt to help, or continue on? (RM)
- 01-20 Wagon beyond repair
- 21-35 Wagon repaired. Suffer 1 wound.
- 36-54 Wagon repaired.
The merchant, Sidarus Landau specializes in weapons, and will gladly travel with you to the city. All weapons move to level 2.

29-65: You discover a hidden shrine. Ocleus Hearthrow is gifted with potions and baubles. etc.

Just an idea...

Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Koor

Missouri
msg tools
mb
See, I like ideas like that, but I don't want to ruin the current progression by overpowering low level characters or unlocking stuff early that is meant be a progression reward for later.

I'll have to think on ways to enhance the experience without empowering the group or ruining the flow of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
madspy1337
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Yes I was thinking that an expanded town mechanic would be great for this game! It's like an RPG - a good chunk of time is spent in dungeons, but also in town.

My idea is somewhat complicated and involves a mini choose your own adventure to explore the town and build relationships with NPCs. There would have to be something like another scenario book for all the NPCs and depending on who you come across in that town visit (could use the city event deck for this) you would have the option of doing some kind of side/fetch quest for them. I envision this to be similar to Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, but instead of solving a crime you are just making decisions and going to different parts of the town to play out your choices. There would have to be a lot of text and branching decision points for this to be interesting. Anyway, these quests would allow you to build relationships with NPCs, unlock new ones, and explore more areas of the town. Perhaps they can even unlock new items, events, or entire scenarios.

Such an idea is probably more suited to an expansion (like Gloomhaven needs one!) but maybe someone can flesh it out as a variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.