Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark polelle
United States
findlay
Ohio
flag msg tools
Fascinating game so far! Thanks for your work on this one. Some questions:

1)are terrain effects cumulative for move/combat?

2) what's the rationale for "lowest cv among...HQ 1/2/3"? not sure I understand the modifier purpose here.

3) Can the Moltke unit activate units in its hex and adj hexes for 0 IP cost?

4) do combat units under their own HQ automatically enter battle to support their adj lead unit on attack/defense?

5) can you clarify the forced march rule? wondering in particular if a forced march unit can attack again and how much it costs to activate if an HQ is with a forced march unit (among other things)

6) I'm confused with the IP activation chart and the rules behind it...perhaps you could offer a play through example of a sample turn showing the inter-relationship among the rules?

7) is it allowed for a player to win to initiative rolls twice in a row and pass each time thereby preventing the other player from moving again during the turn?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Werbaneth
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
1) Yes, but see 7.2.3.

2) Please tell me the exact rules case where you see this, so I can answer the question better.

3) Yes, per 6.5.1.

4) Not automatically; see the fourth bullet under 7.3.1.

5) Yes, it can attack again.

6) This will have to come later, as I'm about to leave the house. It's a job that will take more than a few minutes!

7) No. The non-initiative player always gets a chance to activate something. Per the last paragraph of 4.3, BOTH players have to pass for the operations phase to end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Nunez
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For point 2.) above, a low CV score indicates a crack functioning HQ (and staff). It only costs 1 IP to activate it for example, instead of 3 IPs for a more lumbering force. Similarly, an CV of 1 gives the best die roll modifiers in combat, compared to HQs with a CV of 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark polelle
United States
findlay
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thanks Andy. I was confused because on the last page of the rules (charts) it says that defender gets -2 if "lowest cv among all defending HQ is a 3" while right above a 2 HQ gets only a -1 for defender. Shouldn't that be reversed?
Also, p. 8 pass operations: "if there are 2 pass operations in a row, even by the same player, then ops end for that turn"...this seems contradicted by the designer above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Valenzuela
United States
Santa Paula
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the Operations phase, the rules state that "a player completes all movement first [...] then conducts attacks and resolves combat." Does this mean you must spend all your initiative points activating units and moving them first, and only after that do you resolve combat?

And as for the Recovery phase, do you need to roll for each individual counter or just once per stack?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Nunez
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was confused because on the last page of the rules (charts) it says that defender gets -2 if "lowest cv among all defending HQ is a 3" while right above a 2 HQ gets only a -1 for defender. Shouldn't that be reversed?

I see your point. I'm guessing the last entry should be something like: "-2 if the lowest CV among all defending Headquarters is a 1" as competent HQs should be tougher foes. We'll see what the designer says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Nunez
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK, spoke with the developer about the remaining open questions here and he says:

Q. Regarding the Operations phase, the rules state that "a player completes all movement first [...] then conducts attacks and resolves combat." Does this mean you must spend all your initiative points activating units and moving them first, and only after that do you resolve combat?

A. Correct. Per 4.3 all movement by activated units is completed, then all combats initiated by them are resolved. After that you then determine players determine Initiative again and conduct another Operations Phase until the conditions for ending the game turn are reached.

Q. And as for the Recovery phase, do you need to roll for each individual counter or just once per stack?

A. Per the 2nd and 3rd lines of 11.0 you roll for each unit.

Q. Also, p. 8 pass operations: "if there are 2 pass operations in a row, even by the same player, then ops end for that turn".

A. 7.5 is incorrect. Per 4.3 both players have to consecutively pass not just one player. I’ll add get this into an addenda file.

Q. I was confused because on the last page of the rules (charts) it says that defender gets -2 if "lowest cv among all defending HQ is a 3" while right above a 2 HQ gets only a -1 for defender. Shouldn't that be reversed?

A. The charts are correct as is and my speculation was off base. The developer says that an aspect of this period's history being portrayed in this game is how commanders are finding increasingly difficult it is for them to impose their will during a campaign and on the battlefield. So, higher ranked HQs tend to have lower CVs which will find it easy/less expensive in terms of IPs to mobilize forces and direct actions at a "strategic" level. Lower level HQs have less scope/ability with IPs to do that, and why it is more expensive for them to mobilize. Alternatively higher ranked HQs will be able to get more folks into battle, but the cost can be an adverse DR modifier as they do not have the resources and technology yet to fully command them in the chaos of battle. Their subordinates, that are more practiced and focused, however, will usually have a better opportunity to positively shape/influence a battle than their "betters".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Nunez
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All: Examples of Activation and Combat in Sadowa were posted in the game's main file on BGG here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/204103/sadowa-campai...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ma Chao
msg tools
Hi Andy~ I have bought the game and want to get it on table soon. But when I read through the rule,I came across some question . Could you clairfy them for me , thank you very much laugh

1、Does the ezoc affect the movement ? No mention in rule ,but I compared with the Vicksburg(frome tps too) Rules , ezoc does interfere the movement.Considering the system succeeds from Vicksburg, maybe just forget to write it on?

2、Does the river blocks the siege , can a fort besiege by a combat unit across a river?

3、The cost to Activate units:

In Sadowa: 3 IPs to Activate one Committed unit independently by itself without activating its parent Headquarters.

In Vicksburg:1 to 3 IPs (equal to the printed CV of its Leader) to Activate one Committed unit independently by itself without Activating its commanding Leader.

Does the IPs needed change from Vicksburg to Sadowa, or just a clerical error in Sadowa rule(that is, activate a committed unit does cost 1-3 IPs according to the CV of its leader)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.