Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I would love for BGG to have spoiler forums for each game that do NOT show up in the "Game Forums+" widget on the front page, maybe not even in the game's main threads list.

The reason I'm suggesting this is the rise of Legacy style games (and other games that have hidden components). I like browsing through new threads, but -- for example -- Gloomhaven's shipped to some people but not others (including me), and I've inadvertently been spoiled on two things just by looking at thread titles.

Inevitably, someone will advise to delete the post or thread later, which then equally inadvertently makes someone else come in and post the same thread again, thinking that question hasn't been asked yet (I've seen at least five threads for a popular game excitedly asking about a thing people found under the insert).

If there were a spoiler forum, and maybe a note on the "new thread" page advising people of it, I think this problem would be mitigated. The vast majority of posters are VERY good about being vague in thread titles, but sometimes that just isn't possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
If there were a spoiler forum, and maybe a note on the "new thread" page advising people of it, I think this problem would be mitigated. The vast majority of posters are VERY good about being vague in thread titles, but sometimes that just isn't possible.

Without a note, most users would be oblivious to a spoiler forum anyway. (Arguably, the people who unthinkingly reveal spoilers in thread titles are most likely to ignore a spoiler forum!)

And with a reminder note on the Post page, most people would STILL not notice or pay attention to the reminder note.

https://blog.codinghorror.com/treating-user-myopia/

But for those few who do pay attention, the reminder could just as effectively say "Please remember not to reveal spoilers in thread titles, and warn in the title if there are spoilers in your post", couldn't it? I.e. what would a separate Spoilers forum really gain?

(Also, for the vast majority of games, a Spoilers forum would be goofy and unnecessary, just sitting there with no threads and confusingly taking up screen space.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah, I'm aware of the problems (especially user myopia), but there's just no way around saying "What's this thing I found under the inlay?" or "Hidden messages on cards?" if that's what you want to know about -- just putting "[SPOILER] question" is too broad and could be anything.

I'd suggest a filter for the Forums display that lets you remove any post with specific words in it (like "spoiler") but I assume the database hit for that would be immense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how this would work would work with games like Pandemic Legacy where new things appear as the game goes on.

Currently questions appear in the Rules forum, hopefully with Spoiler in the heading together with an indication of the game month (of course some people don't follow that and someone will probably post to say "Can you change the title?"), so someone who's partway through the game can look down the list and ignore threads that cover things later than they've reached.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I gather you're suggesting that thread titles in this spoiler forum would be completely open and specific. In that case if I was looking for an answer about something happening in May (say), I would be able to visit this forum without being exposed to thread titles covering the whole game. I'd only be able to safely visit this forum after finishing the game, by which time it would be too late. The forum would be useless to people wanting answers as they played through the game.

In that case thread titles would still need to have the actual question obscured and be flagged with a month, which would seem to defeat the object and you might as well just post in the rules forum as now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
DaveD wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I gather you're suggesting that thread titles in this spoiler forum would be completely open and specific. In that case if I was looking for an answer about something happening in May (say), I would be able to visit this forum without being exposed to thread titles covering the whole game. I'd only be able to safely visit this forum after finishing the game, by which time it would be too late. The forum would be useless to people wanting answers as they played through the game.

You're completely right - having spoiler tags in the spoiler forum would be silly. I guess I didn't think far enough, too bad I already paid for the harassment campaign thanks for the input (also to Russ, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is spoiler text...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
Regrettably spoilers don't work when an article is going through geekmod. Possibly so people won't put spam in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
Regrettably spoilers don't work when an article is going through geekmod. Possibly so people won't put spam in them.

Didn't know that! Thanks for the new information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.