Subject: Users with hundreds of game plays on the same day rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcos
Spain
Gijón
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so curious to know why some users who have one day with hundreds (or thousands) of game plays.

For example, something like this:

Magic: The Gathering x50
Magic: The Gathering
Agricola x30
Agricola
King of Tokyo x20
[...]

Some might think that this is a "notebook log", and later moved to BGG, but it doesn't look like "real" game plays, and it has no sense in the meaning of logging your game plays (keep track on what you play).

Do not misunderstand me, it's just pure curiosity, I'm not the "Cop of the Good Logger" laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if I wanted to approximate how many games of Magic I have played in my life, I would probably have to add at least 1000 plays.

Pete (suspects it's much more than that)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen numbers in the thousands that they posted in a single day, and never again on any other day. But then again, I guess if you've played 9666, 3500, or even 1000 games of Ticket to Ride all in one day, you might never want to play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I only started logging 5 years ago but have been playing designer games since the early eighties. I thought long and hard about logging plays of those older games on a single particular date - like 01/01/1980 - and estimating the number of plays of each, but that was just too much work.

But I guess there are gamers who did just that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gimo Barrera
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
We should take Bikini Bottom
badge
and push it somewhere else
mbmbmbmbmb
marsupilami80 wrote:
and it has no sense in the meaning of logging your game plays (keep track on what you play).

**To You**.

(My response hopefully doesn't sound too rude but just want to clarify something)
The way people use the BGG tools are to each their own. Some rather data dump all plays they have done in 1 day, because they don't care when they played, against who, and what the score was, just how may times they played it. A lot of people here (not you specifically) have issues with how people rate their games on their weight or just Geek Rating, but at the end of the day some users use BGG as a tool for their own organization purposes. I've seen users rate games they want to play "1" until they played it. Others that rate the game depending on its current average. That's fine because this site is meant to be use as a tool for your board gaming hobby. (although there are always trolls) Whew! Tried to keep it short.

TL/DR: My guess is they only care about the play count and just data dump once in a while. But to each their own on how they decide to utilize BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marsupilami80 wrote:
I'm so curious to know why some users who have one day with hundreds (or thousands) of game plays.
Probably because they're trying to track how many plays they have a game, and because they weren't logging plays all along, they're adding a bogus playcount to cover all the games they missed.

I don't really think that's a great idea. I started logging plays mid-2011. I know that there's some number of plays that happened before I started logging game plays, but it's not important to me to have my play count filled up with an estimated number of plays. I'd much rather have an exact count of my plays since I started logging them. I can always factor in the fact that there's an ambiguous number of plays that happened before 2011. I don't need to fudge my numbers to try and capture that.

The exception that I make is for games that I've played, but not since I've started logging plays. I'd like to be able to see that I've at least played it once before. To that end, I logged a single play of those games on the day before my first "real" logged play. That way it shows that I've played the game at least once. And then, if I later on play that game again, I delete that fake play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos
Spain
Gijón
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gimodude wrote:
marsupilami80 wrote:
and it has no sense in the meaning of logging your game plays (keep track on what you play).

**To You**.

(My response hopefully doesn't sound too rude but just want to clarify something)
The way people use the BGG tools are to each their own. Some rather data dump all plays they have done in 1 day, because they don't care when they played, against who, and what the score was, just how may times they played it. A lot of people here (not you specifically) have issues with how people rate their games on their weight or just Geek Rating, but at the end of the day some users use BGG as a tool for their own organization purposes. I've seen users rate games they want to play "1" until they played it. Others that rate the game depending on its current average. That's fine because this site is meant to be use as a tool for your board gaming hobby. (although there are always trolls) Whew! Tried to keep it short.

TL/DR: My guess is they only care about the play count and just data dump once in a while. But to each their own on how they decide to utilize BGG.

Maybe I didn't explained myself properly:

I know that logging plays is for self purpose, and you can do what you want with your bgg account. As I said, it's just curiosity. And I know that there is a lot of people that logs their game plays, no matter with who, or the date. Some of them write it down on a notebook, or keep in mind, and transfer later to BGG (for example: "7 to Scythe, 3 to The Village, date: whatever").

But I refer to other kind of loging. Most of the bulk logings I refer are in the first logged month, or in the year 0000. They seem to be "non exact" logs of past play games (that explains the rounded numbers like x50 or x300 plays). It seems something like: "I played a lot of Heroquest when I was younger, so I'll log 150x to Heroquest".

I can't understand why this is useful. And that's why I opened this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people might want to log every game they remember to play to not have many games own and unplayed (as I might have as I only log since Essen 2014 or so).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.