Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cristian Lazarescu
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all.

My name is Cristian and Junta was the first serious boardgame I've played. I read about it in a French magazine (quite lucky, I might add, since this was happening during the late years of the communist regime), but I got my hands on it only after 1990. After just one play, I was instantly hooked and even now, after going through scores of other european and american boardgames, Junta is still perhaps the most accomplished in terms of fun, universe and player interaction.

All the people that I've played with (we're doing this usually once per week) are fascinated by Junta, no matter if they hated it or loved it. However, over the course of a lot of games, a number of questions pertaining to the rules and their interpretation have arised, hence these questions:
1. "The President may send any one player..."
This has to do with the fact that I'm not an English speaker: does the above rule means that the President (or the First Rebel) can send to the firing squad only one player?
2. Assassin Card: Burglars - "You may attempt to burgle one player's Home..."
If you find the player at Home, does this means that he's assasinated? Or in other words, this assassin card can kill a player only if you find him/her at Home?
3. Event Card: Farm Strike - "All... are armed units for the rest of this turn."
Does the term "turn" refers to one Coup phase or to the entire Coup (i.e. the phases left to play) until its end or even to a Junta game turn?
4. If the President is no more (either assasinated, resigned, gone into exile, removed for incompetence or whatever), a new President must be immediately elected. What happens with the former cabinet? That is, the new President can/must also immediately (even it it's way past the Cabinet Assignment phase) reassign positions?
5. In connection to the above, if the ex-President was controlling another player's position via his Brother-In-Law, what happens to that position? Does it reverts to the new President or is frozen until the end of the turn?
6. Event Card: Presidential Competence Questioned
Should the vote for this motion be also conducted in two rounds? And can the President also vote in this motion?

As a side note, after much experimeting we've concluded that Junta greatly benefits (at least in our case) with the following house rules:
- Players start the game not with five but with only two political, the ones drawn at the start of the turn. This keeps the original deck longer in play (lesser pesky reshuffles) and lessens the severe card disavantage of a killed player.
- Banking is only conducted after each player has had a chance to start a coup. This prevents huge stolen money gains dissapearing in Swiss accounts (which could make for an often impossible to catch lead due to 3 successful assassinations), stimulates coups and makes visits to the bank much more frequent (so as to deposit small and inconspicous amount of money, thereby attracting less unwelcome attention).
- During the coup: no First Fire; no transfer of counters between players; tanks fire with two dice.
Still under debate is the freely trading of money and cards between the players. After a large number of games played, this is the period when gameplay gets ugly and loses momentum, due to incessant "talks". I'd sure like to know your opinion on this and also on common strategy talks during coups (same observations as the above).

Sorry for all these questions but I haven't found much in the way of online support for Junta (at least not in English). Plus I own the first edition and I've yet to found the new rules booklet, assuming it answers the above questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, since no-one chimed in, I'll do what I can. I don't have the rules handy, however, so it's all from memory:

1) After a coup, ONE player is shot. If the president wins, he can shoot any of the declared rebels. If the rebels win, the rebels first vote for a new president, and then the new president can shoot ANYONE (even a former rebel)
2) If you are burgled, but selected "at home", you can stop the burglar. In this case, the burglar has no effect.
3) Rest of the turn = for the whole coup
4) Hmmm....just found the german rules on BGG. Seems that only a new president is elected, the cabinet remains the same
5) The logical sequence is: Complete all assassination attempts (including handing over money to the assassinating player), and THEN vote for a new president, if necessary. That way, it is already clear who will be the new president, and which cabinet positions are vacant for the brother-in-law. The old president cannot have used the brother-in-law rule, as it only applies AFTER all assassinations are complete.
6) The rules state: EVERY vote is performed in two rounds. And of course, the president can also vote any way he likes (if he wants to step down, he can do so anyway).

To your side note regarding banking:
I don't know with how many players you play Junta. But when you play with 7+ (which is clearly best for the game), AND with 5 political cards at the start, it will be nearly impossible for one or two players to win the budget vote on their own. So, the president has to
a) spread the money more evenly (and look at the political influence of players), or
b) let the minister of the interior enforce the budget, but in this case banking does not happen before a possible coup, anyway

And IF a president, or one of his cronies, happens to get away with big cash, they have played risky and well, and deserve the money. As a side note, once players realize that someone is ahead, this player is in for hard times, anyway. The worst that can happen to you is when the other players only THINK you're ahead.

Also take a look at the 8-10 player rules in the link section - they improve the game for less players as well!

Happy backstabbing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian Lazarescu
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asperamanca wrote:
Ok, since no-one chimed in, I'll do what I can. I don't have the rules handy, however, so it's all from memory:

Also take a look at the 8-10 player rules in the link section - they improve the game for less players as well!

Happy backstabbing!

Just read your answers now (I remember checking an option for notification about replies, but it seems it doesn't work) - thank you very much!

I'll look at the 8-10 player rules, thanks for the suggestion. We usually play Junta with 4-6 players; having a seventh player is rather rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lyons Beck
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey man-- smell my finger!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree: Junta is one of the greatest games ever invented. It's easy, it's fun, no one is ever eliminated, and every game is different.

Just to clarify Q's 4 & 5:
The only time you can rearrange Positions is during the Cabinet Assignment Phase. Vacant Positions will be "frozen" until the next turn. The only other issue is the Brother-in-Law, which only comes into play if a player is killed or in exile.
So, your question #5 is difficult. There is nothing in the rules which mentions this particular situation. It would have to take place after Assassinations (when there would be a need to use the Brother-in-Law) and before a Coup is announced (when the President is prohibited from resigning.) You'd have to create a House Rule over this. My ruling would be that the new President would not get to use his Brother-in-Law for any position, but an argument could be made for the reverse, in that the new President could take over any vacant Position with his own Brother-in-Law. It's up to you.

I like your house rules. #2 strengthens the restriction on the bank already in place, where if the budget was either passed at gunpoint, it's "Closed for Lunch," or failed altogether, where it's "Closed for a Holiday." It means that you have to spend at least one turn running around with a large load of cash & an even larger target on your back!

I have my own House Rules:
Influence cards cannot be traded.
The Psychotic Assassin cannot be bribed.
To be the First Rebel, you have to be the first to shout "Che Guevara!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian Lazarescu
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brave Sir Robin wrote:
I agree: Junta is one of the greatest games ever invented. It's easy, it's fun, no one is ever eliminated, and every game is different.

And the interaction between the players is absolutely mind-blowing, esp. when it comes to couples playing it for the first time devil .

Brave Sir Robin wrote:
So, your question #5 is difficult. My ruling would be that the new President would not get to use his Brother-in-Law for any position, but an argument could be made for the reverse, in that the new President could take over any vacant Position with his own Brother-in-Law. It's up to you.

So it all comes down to a house rule. Thank you very much for your answer.

Brave Sir Robin wrote:
I like your house rules. #2 strengthens the restriction on the bank already in place, where if the budget was either passed at gunpoint, it's "Closed for Lunch," or failed altogether, where it's "Closed for a Holiday." It means that you have to spend at least one turn running around with a large load of cash & an even larger target on your back!

Actually we came across this one by mistake, having wrongly read and interpreted the official rules blush .

Brave Sir Robin wrote:
I have my own House Rules:
Influence cards cannot be traded.
The Psychotic Assassin cannot be bribed.
To be the First Rebel, you have to be the first to shout "Che Guevara!"

First one is a very good one, last one is absolutely hilarious and a definite must cool !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
All your base are belong to us
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
4. If the President is no more (either assasinated, resigned, gone into exile, removed for incompetence or whatever), a new President must be immediately elected. What happens with the former cabinet? That is, the new President can/must also immediately (even it it's way past the Cabinet Assignment phase) reassign positions?

I don't know if this thread is still active at all, but here's my answer to question 4:

Once the president is assassinated, resigns or goes into exile, the positions he designated for the other non-president players for that turn remain the same until you've gone through the entire turn order (Phases 1 to...). Only when a new turn begins does the cabinet assignment takes place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
All your base are belong to us
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
5. In connection to the above, if the ex-President was controlling another player's position via his Brother-In-Law, what happens to that position? Does it reverts to the new President or is frozen until the end of the turn?

Frozen until re-assignment in a later turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian Lazarescu
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your answers. And yea, I'd wish this thread would stay active for as long as possible . Problem is, notifications are only useful if you're logged in, which I do only weekly, hence there's some time between replies blush .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Young Kim
South Korea
flag msg tools
2. In the 3rd edition, the Burglar card clearly indicates that if you attempt a burglary and the victim is at home, then he is assassinated.

It says, "If you correctly guess the target's Location as Home, the assassination succeeds. If the player was not located at Home, he must give you 2 million pesos."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian Lazarescu
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bkrstmuse wrote:
2. In the 3rd edition, the Burglar card clearly indicates that if you attempt a burglary and the victim is at home, then he is assassinated.

It says, "If you correctly guess the target's Location as Home, the assassination succeeds. If the player was not located at Home, he must give you 2 million pesos."

Thank you for the answer, it sure clears things up.
Are there any other changes in the rules or the text of the cards? Or is this info (meaning the cards and the rules) available for download?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Young Kim
South Korea
flag msg tools
Well, I haven't read the 2nd edition rules so I don't know what the changes are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Kissling
Switzerland
Olten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Killdozer wrote:

- During the coup: no First Fire; no transfer of counters between players; tanks fire with two dice.

You have tanks? surprise Awesome! Is this an official unit or is it selfmade? I didn't find it in my game cry

EDIT: did find it in the files-section... mistery solved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.