13 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about Rune of Regeneration rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael NA
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. If I put a Rune of Regeneration in an Accentuator Belt do I Heal 1 wound even when wearing my Dark Stone Buckle? (I standardly wear DSB because of Orb of Ro'kal)

2. What is the timing of discarding the Rune of Regeneration for removing a Mutation/Injury?
Can I roll the die and see which Mutation/Injury I am gaining and then discard the Rune of Regeneration to avoid getting killed from a double Mutation or to avoid the injury getting downgraded because I already have that Injury?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmb
1. No. You only get the benefits from items you have equipped. When the rune goes into the belt, it becomes part of the belt for the purposes of equipping.
2. Yes. You may roll the dice before choosing to cancel the injury/madness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Garen LiLorian wrote:
1. No. You only get the benefits from items you have equipped. When the rune goes into the belt, it becomes part of the belt for the purposes of equipping.

I would disagree on the timing of gaining the mutation and healing it. Typically, once the dice are rolled, that's the result, like healing. Once you know the result, then you get the result. Your chances to mitigate it have passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael NA
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Garen LiLorian wrote:

So you are saying if I had a Mark of (+1 damage vs beasts) I wouldn't have that bonus if it was in a piece of clothing that was not equipped?
Because I think it says otherwise in the semi-official FAQ citing one of the devs as having said that.

I am merely trying to clarifiy since you don't explain your reasoning.

Garen LiLorian wrote:

rpvt wrote:
I would disagree on the timing of gaining the mutation and healing it. Typically, once the dice are rolled, that's the result, like healing. Once you know the result, then you get the result. Your chances to mitigate it have passed.

And this is excatly the reasons I am asking because I don't know which of these two things is the correct one...
After all I'm using an item, but this isn't an sidebag item, so it might not be limited by the same restrictions as those are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nmnighteyes wrote:
Garen LiLorian wrote:

So you are saying if I had a Mark of (+1 damage vs beasts) I wouldn't have that bonus if it was in a piece of clothing that was not equipped?
Because I think it says otherwise in the semi-official FAQ citing one of the devs as having said that.

I am merely trying to clarifiy since you don't explain your reasoning.

I would agree that you must have the piece of gear equipped to get the bonus. So if you have a rune on a coat, you'll get that bonus as long as you're wearing that coat. If it's on a hat, you'll get that bonus as long as you're wearing that hat. But if the upgraded item is stowed away in your pack, you don't get the bonus.

I don't recall ever seeing anything that says you get the bonus from items that are not currently equipped/worn. The runes tend to be the weird upgrades in that many of them affect damage but don't have to be on a weapon to provide their bonus. They do, however, have to be equipped to provide their bonus.

nmnighteyes wrote:
Garen LiLorian wrote:

rpvt wrote:

And this is excatly the reasons I am asking because I don't know which of these two things is the correct one...
After all I'm using an item, but this isn't an sidebag item, so it might not be limited by the same restrictions as those are.

I'm actually not sure where I'd go on this.

For items that allow you to block damage from a single source, you are allowed to see the final result before you use them.

But I believe all forms of healing are restricted to needing to be used before you know the final damage roll.

So I think it would come down to the wording on the rune (I don't have it handy). If it's discarded to heal/cure an injury or mutation, then I would say you could not use it after the determining roll. If it's discarded to cancel an injury or mutation, then I would say you could use it after seeing the result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
nmnighteyes wrote:
Garen LiLorian wrote:

The part you are thinking of says that you don't have to put the mark on your weapon for it to be effective. In all cases, you must have something equipped for it to be effective unless it is something that explicitly cannot be. For marks, they need to be added to a slot to work. That slot needs to be one something you equip (you won't find slots on something like the magnifying glass item that gives you a benefit for just owning it). You can put the mark on a hat and have it add to your weapons.

As a counter point, if you didn't need to equipment things to get their bonuses, you could carry five axes which give +combat and/or +damage each. That is pretty clear to me a bad thing for game balance.

nmnighteyes wrote:
Garen LiLorian wrote:

rpvt wrote:

In the end, this one will be up to you. But the general restriction isn't for sidebag items, it's for healing and similar effects. There are items that provide healing that aren't sidebag items, and you have abilities like the Preacher's that all need to follow the rule. Certain things "break" that, such as abilities that prevent all damage from a single source. In that case, you don't know the damage you are taking until it is resolved. Sure, you could use it early, but it's the damage you are taking (which is after all the rolls to determine what you are taking), so it fits there. Very few other exceptions come to mind.

So, for my group, once the effect is rolled, that's what you get. And you have to have items equipped before the roll needs to happen to get their effect. So yes, belt slot choices can be critical.

For what it's worth though, death by mutation isn't a huge issue. Just get the mutation clean up and resurrect the hero. Or play it safe(r) and keep the buckle equipped, putting the rune some place else.

Edit: ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested to know the wording of Rune of Regeneration. Quickly looked through gear/artifact decks and didn't see it. Is it a bought item?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's an upgrade at the Blacksmith.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Joe. Once the dice are rolled/re-rolled/messed-with, the results are immediate. It's the same as trying to avoid being KO'ed by healing - you must do it before you know you for sure that you're going to be KO'ed (usually before Defense has been rolled, but not always).

If the Rune of Regeneration instead said "Prevent One Injury/Mutation" then you could wait till the very last moment. As written however, you must take a chance either way.

The Darkstone Buckle is for prevention. The Rune is for curing.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah, I see the problem. I said 'cancel,' in my original post, but the wording on the Rune is 'heal.' Joe, Jee, et al. are entirely correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Miller
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I have an unusual question regarding what happens when the rune gets discarded. According to my friend, if you discard it to get rid of an injury or mutation, it consumes the item it was 'permanently' attached to or, at the very least, consumes the slots it used on said item. He believes it works this way because otherwise you could just keep attaching it, and using it, to get rid of things you didn't want.

I, on the other hand, believe it'd just discarded with no permanent effect to the item. It's expensive enough on it's own as it stands so I don't see it being overly abused. I mean it's so much cheaper to get rid of them from the Doctor's Office or, if using the Frontier Town expansion, many of the other locations that work the same way (and can bypass the Doctor's Office botched result).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dada Pawa
msg tools
DrayGon777 wrote:
I have an unusual question regarding what happens when the rune gets discarded. According to my friend, if you discard it to get rid of an injury or mutation, it consumes the item it was 'permanently' attached to or, at the very least, consumes the slots it used on said item. He believes it works this way because otherwise you could just keep attaching it, and using it, to get rid of things you didn't want.

I, on the other hand, believe it'd just discarded with no permanent effect to the item. It's expensive enough on it's own as it stands so I don't see it being overly abused. I mean it's so much cheaper to get rid of them from the Doctor's Office or, if using the Frontier Town expansion, many of the other locations that work the same way (and can bypass the Doctor's Office botched result).

Pretty sure there are no rules regarding what happens to the item once an upgrade is discarded. Therefore, the item it was attached to remain as is (with an empty upgrade slot).

You could indeed keep re-attaching new runes... if you bought plenty of them (meaning you will need to have the extra gold buy many of them). Or you could be stuck with 6 runes doing nothing in your inventory doing nothing if you dont get injured. The runes are nice at the begining, but not really OP in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmb
DrayGon777 wrote:

I think you're right. The Rune of Death at the Indian Trading Post offers some answers: it has a chance to destroy the item its attached to when it triggers. This indicates that items without that text do not have that chance. The rune is destroyed when when you discard it, so you can't 'keep attaching it:' you'd have to buy another copy and, as Dada said, that's a pretty expensive way to heal injuries and mutations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.