War of the Ring: Warriors of Middle-earth» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Crowning Aragorn Dilemma rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noah B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the last game I played, Strider got to Erech early, so I mustered the Dead Men into play.

I wanted to crown Strider, but I needed to keep the Dead Men in play as a deterrent to the Southrons and Isengard (I had picked up The Dark Door). I didn't yet have a Dead Men movement card in my hand.

Unfortunately, I spent most of the game trying to get one of the two cards that allow the Dead Men to move (so I could get Strider to Dol Amroth), but by the end of the game, I checked the Faction deck, and they were on the bottom of the pile (after numerous reshuffles).

Lacking Aragorn's action die almost lost me the game. However, having the Dead Men also bought me a lot more time to move the FSP.

When faced with this situation, would you bring the Dead Men into play and hope to pick up the movement card (which did not ever happen in my case) or simply crown Strider?

I suppose you could just crown Strider FIRST in Dol Amroth, then move him back to Erech to bring in the Dead Men. But sometimes the Shadow can take Dol Amroth too fast for that to be possible.

Has anyone faced a similar situation? Other thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Subs
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably not bring the Dead Men into play, I'd rather get him crowned first and instead bring out the Eagles to get the Faction die, but no way you did anything wrong there, and it's a "take your pick and you see what happens!" situation. If I crowned Aragorn in Dol Amroth first, then I get the extra Action Die, and can then simply use a Muster die to bring the Dead Men in (as Aragorn is adjacent to Erech in Dol Amroth).

It's also like getting Strider to Rohan and hoping to get the Dead Men of Dunharrow card in the base game but the card does not come, or getting Strider into Gondor and hoping to get a Will of the West die result that never comes so he can never be crowned. These are the tough situations that happen in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nelson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I faced almost the exact same situation as you. It did not end as well as it did for you. This was my first WOME game. I had managed to get Strider to Dol Amroth through the Dark Door. However, I was not able to roll a WoW in the next round.

Therefore, I was faced with a similar situation to you where the Shadow was closing in on Dol Amroth and I did have Wraiths of Fear card, so I thought it would be better to get them into play to delay the Shadow at both Dol Armoth and Helm's Deep (given the Dark Door).

I played this game a while ago so the details are fuzzy, but all I can remember is that I wasted a lot of action dice to make this all happen and I should have waited and crowned Strider because I never got a chance to do it again. I used the Dead Men to kick the Shadow out of Dol Amroth and Helm's Deep. While this did delay the SP, they were able to move back into both of these places on subsequent turns because I could not get an army back into these strongholds.

This was my first game with WOME so I'm sure I was playing all of it sub optimally, but I remember the game ending with Strider sitting with a couple Dead Men in Erech and Frodo no where near Mt. Doom.

If faced with this situation again, I believe there are two different options to look at:

1) Wait it out in Dol Amroth with Strider and hope to get a WoW ASAP, then play the Dead Men. Or,

2) Bring the Dead Men into play with Strider and commit most of the Dead Men to pushing back either the Shadow army in Dol Amroth or Helm's Deep. I believe my mistake was trying to repel both DA and HD. I should have committed to one or the other to significantly push back one of those Shadow armies. That would have bought me time to move a FP army into one of these places and make the SP waste more dice trying to retake this place then I had to spend to repel him.

Since it was my first time with WOME, I think I was reluctant to use up all the Dead Men with one card. But, in hindsight, this could significantly weaken the Shadow in that region of the board and buy a significant amount of time for Frodo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, crowning Strider does not instantly dissolve the Army of the Dead. Being crowned is not considered leaving the army of the dead. So if he and the Dead Men are parked at Dol Amroth, you can get him crowned. It's also accepted to let him get bottled up inside, then sneak him out to Erech by bringing the Army of the Dead in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My last game I was able to use Dark Door to get Aragorn to Dol Amroth and crown him while he led the Army of the Dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hammer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Its really nice to have six die as FP player, but the game is easily winnable if you drop the ring in Mordor with only five. This often leads to me leaving strider in the fellowship or summoning the deadmen before he can be crowned. If the WotW and timing work out I will always try to crown him before summoning the deadmen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.