17 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: New player questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ross Gardner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Is Gollum classified as a companion (can he be separated from the ring bearers)?

I'm getting confused with the hunt allocation, as well:

I think I have it right, but I'm just checking.

Basically I think it's one die for the total number of fellowship action dice in the hunt box (number irrelevant), plus one more die as read on page 19:

"However, the shadow player may always place at least one die in the hunt box, even if all companions have left the fellowship."

For some reason "May always," doesn't read right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gollum can never be separated from the Fellowship. As soon as he is the Guide, he will be the Guide until the end of the game.

The maximum number of dice the Shadow player can allocate to the Hunt Box is the number of Companions still in the Fellowship. But, Gollum doesn't count as a Companion, so, if he's the Guide, there are no Companions in the Fellowship and the maximum would be 0. The sentence means that the Shadow player may still allocate one die in that case.

Also, if the Fellowship has moved the previous turn (indicated by there being one or more FP action dice in the Hunt Box) then the Shadow player must allocate at least one die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Gardner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So let me get this straight (this is hard to word right):

1 die only for 0 companions (no more die can be included),

As well as 1 die minimum for action dice in hunt pool (no matter if there are six action dice or one)...

Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The hunt box has two concepts. A minimum number to allocate and a maximum.

For the minimum this is either 0 or 1 and depends only on whether a free dice was retrieved on the previous turn, i.e. if the fellowship moved last turn. If this happened then 1 dice must be allocated, otherwise 0 is allowed.

The maximum is the number of companions left in the fellowship and is always at least one, even if they have all left and Gollum is leading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any restrictions only apply to the dice you chose/were forced toallocate, any more eyes which you roll are also added to the hunt box.

If there are 7 companions and Fellowship didn't move last turn:
SP assigns 0 to 7 dice to the hunt box. Then rolls remaining dice, and adds any eyes to the hunt box as well.

If there are 7 companions and Fellowship did move last turn:
SP assigns 1 to 7 dice to the hunt box. Then rolls remaining dice, and adds any eyes to the hunt box as well.

If there is 1 companion and Fellowship didn't move last turn:
SP assigns 0 to 1 die to the hunt box. Then rolls remaining dice, and adds any eyes to the hunt box as well.

If there is 1 companion and Fellowship did move last turn:
SP assigns 1 die to the hunt box. Then rolls remaining dice, and adds any eyes to the hunt box as well.

If there are X companions and Fellowship didn't move last turn:
SP assigns 0 to X dice to the hunt box. Then rolls remaining dice, and adds any eyes to the hunt box as well.

If there are X companions and Fellowship did move last turn:
SP assigns 1 to X dice to the hunt box. Then rolls remaining dice, and adds any eyes to the hunt box as well.

If there are no companions (led by Gollum) and Fellowship didn't move last turn:
SP assigns 0 to 1 die to the hunt box. Then rolls remaining dice, and adds any eyes to the hunt box as well.

If there are no companions (led by Gollum) and Fellowship did move last turn:
SP assigns 1 die to the hunt box. Then rolls remaining dice, and adds any eyes to the hunt box as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Gardner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have another question...

Does the hunt for the ring (dice roll for hunt tile) ONLY happen once during the game turn (excluding special card hunt tiles and stronghold hunt tiles)?

The rules read a little to me that the first movement of the fellowship triggers the hunt roll... that can't be right. The hunt maybe starts at the end of the turn (after the last action die has been played)?

I am getting confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ross Gardner wrote:
I have another question...

Does the hunt for the ring (dice roll for hunt tile) ONLY happen once during the game turn (excluding special card hunt tiles and stronghold hunt tiles)?

The rules read a little to me that the first movement of the fellowship triggers the hunt roll... that can't be right. The hunt maybe starts at the end of the turn (after the last action die has been played)?

I am getting confused.

You roll for the Hunt every time the Free Peoples player uses an Action die to move the Fellowship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Gardner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Veldrin wrote:

You roll for the Hunt every time the Free Peoples player uses an Action die to move the Fellowship.

Thanks very much!

I wish you good gaming!

I have another question... does this mean that all the hunt dice count for every move (as in first move by Fellowship, uses for example, 4 hunt dice. Dice fails the hunt. Fellowship move again... four dice again, plus another hunt die for the previous move, making the next hunt having five dice)?

I think I have this right: when the hunt is successful, without revealing the fellowship, the fellowship can continue to move as usual after the hunt tile is drawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steva fields
United States
vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ross Gardner wrote:
Veldrin wrote:

Thanks very much!

I wish you good gaming!

I have another question... does this mean that all the hunt dice count for every move (as in first move by Fellowship, uses for example, 4 hunt dice. Dice fails the hunt. Fellowship move again... four dice again, plus another hunt die for the previous move, making the next hunt having five dice)?

I think I have this right: when the hunt is successful, without revealing the fellowship, the fellowship can continue to move as usual after the hunt tile is drawn.

You are correct, if you are talking about when the fellowship is in Mordor. Each movement die is added to the hunt box, and would be considered an eye die, if the next move drew an eye tile. outside of Mordor, each movement die is put into the hunt box just as a indicator of what dice roll would be successful. one movement die would be 5.. two would be a 4, and so on. Second question, the fellowship can always move when a movement die is played, and they are hidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Gardner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
sixtoedcat wrote:

You are correct, if you are talking about when the fellowship is in Mordor. Each movement die is added to the hunt box, and would be considered an eye die, if the next move drew an eye tile. outside of Mordor, each movement die is put into the hunt box just as a indicator of what dice roll would be successful. one movement die would be 5.. two would be a 4, and so on. Second question, the fellowship can always move when a movement die is played, and they are hidden.

What I was trying to also gather, would the dice used for the first hunt, carry over to the next hunt (within the same turn)? For example, four hunt dice for the first hunt. Then, fellowship moves again, how many dice for that hunt? Four again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, all of the Shadow dice in the Hunt Box count for each Hunt roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Gardner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the advice everyone!

My last question (hopefully) is about reinforcements:

When more than one allied nation is at war, if you use a muster die for reinforcements, do you get reinforcements for both? E.g. I get one elite for Gondor, and one elite for Rohan, as both are at war. I think this would crowd the game board, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you only get one Elite, two Regulars, or one Regular and one Leader. However, if you get two Regulars, or one Regular and one Leader, you can split them between Nations. For example, you could recruit one Gondor Regular and one Rohan Leader if both Nations are at War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Gardner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
There seems to be tiles that have no purpose on the insert sheet. They are blank: some red, some blue and one white. Why are these included in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They can be used as replacements for lost tiles. Just mark them somehow to indicate what they're replacing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ross Gardner wrote:
There seems to be tiles that have no purpose on the insert sheet. They are blank: some red, some blue and one white. Why are these included in the game?

Spare tyres.

You should give this a read: Annotated Example of Play. It illustrates how many of the mechanics you've asked about function in actual play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Gardner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Rafamir wrote:
Ross Gardner wrote:

Spare tyres.

You should give this a read: Annotated Example of Play. It illustrates how many of the mechanics you've asked about function in actual play.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.