Inis» Forums » Rules

Subject: Timing on Geis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Rubert

Illinois
msg tools
Hi message board,

I have a question on the timing of the Geis card in Inis. The rulebook states that a player should fully declare their action prior to another player playing Geis. What does it mean to fully declare their action?

If I take the Conquest action card as it's written now I might ask at what point someone's action is fully declard. Is it after that person picks the territory to move into? Or can the person playing Geis wait until the person playing Conquest also declares how many clans they're sending into the territory.

The way I imagine Geis should work is that a player declares everything they need to to consider an action card "played", there is a window of opportunity for Geis to be played and then the rest of the orginal action card resolves.

Would Geis play out as its currently intended if the action cards were rewritten so that everything that needs to be declared to consider the card "played" came after the phrase "To play this Card declare..."?

This is how I imagine rewriting the action cards:

Craftsmen & Peasants
To play this card: Choose 1 or more territories among those that you occupy that contain 1 or more citadels.
-In each territory selected, place 1 clan for each Citadel in that territory.

Conquest
To play this card: Choose 1 territory.
-You may move any number of your clans from territories adjacent to this territory into it.

Warlord
To play this card: Choose 1 territory that you occupy
-Initiate a clash in that territory with you as the instigator

TRISKEL During a clash with you involved, after a maneuver is performed:
To play this card: Choose who performs the next maneuver
-Place 1 exposed clan in this territory

New Alliance
To play this card: Choose 1 territory that you occupy.
-Either replace a clan of another tribe with one of yours (the clan you replace must not be that player's last clan on that territory) OR Add one clan

Sanctuary
To play this card: Choose 1 territory that you occupy.
-Place 1 Sanctuary in the chosen territory. Draw 1 Epic Tale Card.

Festival
To play this card: Among the territories you are present that have a sanctuary, choose one.
-Add 1 clan and the festival token to that territory. Initiators of clashes here lose 1 clan.

New Clans
To play this card: Choose up to two territories where you are present.
-Place a total of 2 clans in these territories

Citadel
To play this card: Choose a territory where you are present.
-Build a Citadel in that territory.
-If the territories advantage cards has not been played add it to your hand.

Migration
To play this card:- Choose 1 territory.
-Move 1 or more of your clans from the chosen territory to 1 or more adjacent territories

Emissaries
To play this card:- Choose an adjacent territory
-Move 1 of your clans to that territory. This does not initiate a clash.

Scouts & Spies
To play this card:- Choose an opponent.
-Look at the action cards in that opponent's hand.
-Choose a territory
-You may move 1 or more of your clans from 1 territory to 1 adjacent territory

Master Craftsmen
TRISKEL - After you play an epic tale card:
To play this card: Choose another player
-Instead of discarding the epic tale card, give it to this player and gain 1 deed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very good. I feel like there's definitely less room for misinterpretation here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevinine wrote:
Very good. I feel like there's definitely less room for misinterpretation here.

I've interpreted Geis so that it's playable until the action is no longer reversable alone. That is to say, you can play Geis until you no longer can return the game to the state it was before without a)cancelling actions of more than one player or b)the player receives knowledge they didn't have beforehand. For example, any movement is that initiates a clash is cancellable until it require more than one player to take back actions, and Scouts and Spies is cancellable until the point a player actually looks at an opponents card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Rubert

Illinois
msg tools
Same here. That interpretation is consistent with the alternate wording for the cards in my post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Snertz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread the designer mentioned that with Conquest his group asks the person playing it if they come in peace before deciding to Geis or not. Your descriptions remove a lot of ambiguity but it seems that the intent is for the Geis player to know all the intentions of the person playing a card before making a decision. For example with New Alliance I think I'd get to know if you are going to target one of my clans or not before I decide to Geis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Nice job.

As for the questions: yes, you can see what the player chooses to do with his card before geising.

For instance with New Alliance you can wait to see if he replaces one of your clan. With a move you can wait to see where he goes with how many clans. But when you start to resolve the clash it's too late to Geis.

And when I say that we sometimes ask "do you come in peace" be aware that this doesn't change the rule: if you say "yes" maybe you will change your mind when it counts for the rules (after the citadel step or later). This is just table talk, which is interesting on a moral or psychological level but not binding until the rules say it is.

I hope that's clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.