Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
40 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » The Village Square

Subject: BGG Moderator Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I've set up this thread from an angle of collection of individual moderators rather than simply "community."

The goal is to be able to share ideas of course as always, but have an avenue to develop some sort of baseline consistency (to some degree or in any factors) across moderators and their games. On our own, of course we will strive to have consistency within ourselves from game to game.

And we can accept some individuality and variety between moderators - in fact we probably *need* it! But having an avenue to have some degree of consistency with how we run games, procedure, behavior expectations and enforcement, and all sort of ancillary issues (scheduling, mod communication) in the best interest of serving the players who play our games (and therefore ourselves).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
placeholder

and sorry if a thread like this was already made and it's buried somewhere.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I first thought this was about the BGG site admins, rather than game moderators.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaius Ceaser
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question, how do you advertise your games?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
The thread in the WW forum about games only.

Bump your thread with updates so it goes to the top of the page at times.

I write personal emails to people I want to invite and I don't always pick the same people. And I'm honest with what I include in the email, sometimes funny.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
I talk about myself as he in the third person. This isn't a typo. =)
badge
My pronoun preferences are fairly easy going, though, and as long as you don't correct OTHER people's pronoun usage, you can call me whatever you want.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GaiusJC wrote:
I have a question, how do you advertise your games?


I just sort of post them and they fill up, but it takes reputation for that to happen, which means getting good games off first.

I do invite people by GM I know would particularly appreciate it. And I post the link at the end of the previous game, if it is in a series.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's something I find odd.

Every so often I get a GM asking if it's OK to run a game that I ran in the past. I've always assumed that any game I've ran has joined the public domain and have no issues with anyone picking it up again if the set was fun to play. Love me some flattery and do appreciate if the source is mentioned but honestly, it's not a big deal to me if it's not.

I also notice that some moderators make sure to mention that they've asked for permission to run games. I don't think I ever did that but always linked/attributed previous games if I drew inspiration from them. I guess I think the attribution is sufficient, kind of like when you write a paper.

So, just wondering what other mods think.

Poll
Should a moderator ask another moderator for permission before running a redux game?
Yes, always
Yes, if they are active BGG members
Maybe, explain
No, just link or give credit
No, just play good games
TommyDanger
      26 answers
Poll created by ohgrande


This poll is #339999. Cool.

I guess the one time I do remember asking someone it was for Ironman as the previous mod didn't seem like they wanted to run it and it was more an offer to take over if they didn't want to.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
I talk about myself as he in the third person. This isn't a typo. =)
badge
My pronoun preferences are fairly easy going, though, and as long as you don't correct OTHER people's pronoun usage, you can call me whatever you want.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a cultural expectation Ling and LJ have drilled into people of my generation, but it isn't an expectation I have for people using my stuff if they ever do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaius Ceaser
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ohgrande wrote:
Here's something I find odd.

Every so often I get a GM asking if it's OK to run a game that I ran in the past. I've always assumed that any game I've ran has joined the public domain and have no issues with anyone picking it up again if the set was fun to play. Love me some flattery and do appreciate if the source is mentioned but honestly, it's not a big deal to me if it's not.

I also notice that some moderators make sure to mention that they've asked for permission to run games. I don't think I ever did that but always linked/attributed previous games if I drew inspiration from them. I guess I think the attribution is sufficient, kind of like when you write a paper.

So, just wondering what other mods think.

Poll
Should a moderator ask another moderator for permission before running a redux game?
Yes, always
Yes, if they are active BGG members
Maybe, explain
No, just link or give credit
No, just play good games
TommyDanger
      26 answers
Poll created by ohgrande


This poll is #339999. Cool.

I guess the one time I do remember asking someone it was for Ironman as the previous mod didn't seem like they wanted to run it and it was more an offer to take over if they didn't want to.
I think you need to ask, but if you don't get a response you can run it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What if I say no?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's a unique enough game to be considered its own template, I'd definitely ask permission if the mod is active and hasn't obviously given it into the public domain. To do otherwise could water down the "brand".

I'd say this would go doubly for physics heavy games or other games that required significant initial labor and thought to create.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaius Ceaser
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ohgrande wrote:
What if I say no?
Then, you shouldn't run it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TFang wrote:
It is a cultural expectation Ling and LJ have drilled into people of my generation, but it isn't an expectation I have for people using my stuff if they ever do.

Yeah, I picked it up from watching mods before me do it.

I think it also gives a chance for the old moderator to share important details they don't want missed? I know I can be particular (though probably unnecessarily) about the way things are ran for rolesets that are important to me.

Examples:
Single Serving with the subtitles.
Random Role Set being a night game series.
(Both of which I'm not the original mod, I just liked them enough to try to carry them on.)

I feel like the Game for 19 had a disabled nightfalls tradition that got lost, but I couldn't find the exchange that I'm recalling.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Zarski-Riley
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
I may or may not be a Wolf
badge
I am a cloud
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I always ask. If someone created something, then it's their thing and they might have stopped it for a reason.

When I brought back the Testosterone City game, Disp had done 17 and then dropped it. And maybe game 17 had just been really shitty and he had hated it and didn't run any more because of that (I don't think that was the case). So if I just picked it up and ran it, I could be bringing back negative feelings for the very person who's idea I am using.

Disp was fine and has given me freedom to do whatever (and I changed it for the game that is in signup). If that doesn't fill and I drop it, I would expect the next person to try to run the series to ask Disp again. But if I run up to #30, then I'd hope that someone else doing #31 would ask me. But if I said "that's fine, anyone can run that" I'd still check with Disp that he was okay with that.

I think if the original mod says "yeah, this is freeware" then it's fine (and I hope we'd credit the designer) but until that's out there and public, I see a set as proprietary, I guess.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
TFang wrote:
It is a cultural expectation Ling and LJ have drilled into people of my generation, but it isn't an expectation I have for people using my stuff if they ever do.
GaiusJC wrote:
I think you need to ask, but if you don't get a response you can run it.

You can blame most of this on me. I didn't know that LJ was pushing it as well, but that's cool too. But as probably the primary "if you want to learn how to mod, talk to me" person, I get the follow-on questions of "What about X game?" and "Can I use your rules for ...?" I've sometimes noticed a ... let's say liberal 'sampling' of my rules post, and I don't think it's overly egotistical to tease people about plagiarizing me, especially when it's from lessons hard learned and years of experience.


I've GM'd tons of folks from WW history. Hell, I reached out to houndsoftindalos for his Thing game, seanp for Clan Wars, SevenSpirits for Ender's Game (and talked with kristiefix about her version), LudesFactor and jmilum for Blade Runner, bigfluffylemon for his Shadows Over Camelot conversion, Raid for Dune, blacksheep for his deckbuilding premise AND when he posted the Assassin in the Palace game. And those are the first ones that I can think of off the top of my head. Let's not talk about the four people I asked for the game-series-that-shall-not-be-named.


Normally? People are willing to cooperate and are happy to see that "the tradition continues ..." Rarely, no answer arrives and I just take the initiative.


Is it that hard for us to be courteous? Some mods like to say "you can run any of my games", but unless it's well known that they've cut themselves completely out of BGG, I encourage asking for permission. Hey, some games aren't even re-runnable without copious behind-the-scenes information.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Zarski-Riley
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
I may or may not be a Wolf
badge
I am a cloud
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think the credit thing is really nice, because it gives us our history
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaius Ceaser
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe, we should create a git or mercurial repository for storing games with appropriate licenses.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TFang wrote:
GaiusJC wrote:
I have a question, how do you advertise your games?


I just sort of post them and they fill up, but it takes reputation for that to happen, which means getting good games off first.

I do invite people by GM I know would particularly appreciate it. And I post the link at the end of the previous game, if it is in a series.


Even if it's not part of the series? Thanks for the tip!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nolemonplease wrote:
I feel like the Game for 19 had a disabled nightfalls tradition that got lost, but I couldn't find the exchange that I'm recalling.


I think the disable nightfall option in Cassy was fairly new around the time I did the first one so I used it. Then it was always fun for the inevitable nightfall that happened at some point during the game so I just kept it in there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


I ask. Could ruffle some feathers if I don't and we don't want that. I have even kinda asked Ling about running a mini- Blade Runner even though I co-authored the original. And wait until after BR 4.0 runs (or doesn't run), or he could possibly adopt the mini version. I don't recall that he responded. :shrug:

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
? Thought I did ..?

It's been a crappy couple of weeks. Will send a reply tomorrow am, when I'm coherent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
I talk about myself as he in the third person. This isn't a typo. =)
badge
My pronoun preferences are fairly easy going, though, and as long as you don't correct OTHER people's pronoun usage, you can call me whatever you want.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LudesFactor wrote:
TFang wrote:
GaiusJC wrote:
I have a question, how do you advertise your games?


I just sort of post them and they fill up, but it takes reputation for that to happen, which means getting good games off first.

I do invite people by GM I know would particularly appreciate it. And I post the link at the end of the previous game, if it is in a series.


Even if it's not part of the series? Thanks for the tip!



Well, if it isn't in the series, I'd only do it if playing THAT game specifically makes me think you'd be interested in playing this one. That hasn't occured to me yet, but I wouldn't rule it out forever or anything.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
? Thought I did ..?

It's been a crappy couple of weeks. Will send a reply tomorrow am, when I'm coherent.


Let me check my GM...



Edit: You addressed the 2 other topics in that GM, but not mini-BR.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
I talk about myself as he in the third person. This isn't a typo. =)
badge
My pronoun preferences are fairly easy going, though, and as long as you don't correct OTHER people's pronoun usage, you can call me whatever you want.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have a general advertisement at the end of my games where I advertise other people's games if they are close to filling or seem especially cool to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
So for behavior standards I'm thinking something like this for my games:

1. First warning
2. Second warning
3. Removal from game
4. Multi game ban
5. Multi game ban
6. Forever ban

And it's not like I'm going to be throwing warnings out for stuff that is WW related or just a players preference. I expect them to talk it out with the other players. And stuff that is getting to warning stage I can make general announcements for.

But the warnings are there fairly just past the edge stuff so the players will ultimately know my preferences/belief on appropriateness. For things I see especially bad, I will move it multiple steps down in one chunk. To game removal I think.

--

I think we are doing well in getting culture together and improving in some respects, but I am concerned that a total live and let live system isn't not going to totally work anymore so I want to get structure so players know expectations and players know they are protected.

And in each instance I am going to handle it as privately as I can with minimal fuss. If other players want to tell the world how unjustly they were treated after I adjudicate something, then it's up to them. I'm just going make a consistent set of guidelines and try to apply them consistently. And be consistent with my statements. I won't be perfect, but the attempt is the best course to follow in my mind.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.