Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: I feel so sorry for Isaac in light of this Amazon Disaster. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isaac has been doing everything right and at every stage of things Amazon has been screwing everything up. I can't imagine how frustrating it is for him to see all of these orders, both KS and Retail, just getting jerked around and delayed. I'm not even upset that I haven't gotten an email yet because I'm just looking at what he's dealing with and it is downright AWFUL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Disaster is a bit strong. A year from now, minor delays and screwups in the last stages of shipping will be a distant memory.

(That's not to diminish how agonizing it is for a highly invested and detail-oriented professional to try to fix these things...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Isaac has been excellent throughout, and this must be quite the learning experience for him. It's frustrating to work in a creative business, and realize just how much business there is in comparison to creative. I think he's been handling it like a pro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas McKee
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaneXtopher wrote:
Agreed. Isaac has been excellent throughout, and this must be quite the learning experience for him. It's frustrating to work in a creative business, and realize just how much business there is in comparison to creative. I think he's been handling it like a pro.

agreed - the best thing he's done in this situation has been to be updating the situation frequently and explain exactly what is happening. No sugar coating it, just tell us what's going on and that's what I like to hear. Hopefully the deliveries will speed up a tad, but as long as he's providing information I can wait patiently
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Islesfan91 wrote:
ShaneXtopher wrote:

agreed - the best thing he's done in this situation has been to be updating the situation frequently and explain exactly what is happening. No sugar coating it, just tell us what's going on and that's what I like to hear. Hopefully the deliveries will speed up a tad, but as long as he's providing information I can wait patiently

I second that. Isaac's strait to the point communication devoid of PR-BS is really valuable imo.

Yet I think Isaac has done really well and I'm having a hard time finding a valuable lesson in all of this Amazon-chaos, do you guys have a few hints what Isaac could learn from all this apart from not using amazon again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who has not received their game yet and is waiting for a standee version I will also say I do feel sorry for him and hope it all works out. He is doing an excellent job of trying to keep us informed and I truly believe he is doing all he can to get it worked out.

While not his fault I wonder if this will alter his willingness to ever offer multiple types of the same product again (i.e. standee version and mini version). I would have to think it unlikely but who knows.

All in all I can wait for my game and if others get it that didn't back the KS'er that's fine. I know Isaac did all he could to avoid that...some thing's you just can't control
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Matthews
msg tools
Huh? He's 'done everything right'? No, this problem exists because he didn't do things correctly to start with, and didn't realize this and act to resolve the issues until all the pieces were in place for fulfillment. That's where the headaches came from.

When you hire someone for a fulfillment like this, and at the last minute attempt to amend it, you're going to hit these problems. Especially when you're doing it through an operation as large as Amazon's. It's kind of sad the lengths Isaac has gone to throw Amazon under the bus. He's as much to blame for the lack of oversight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince R.
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trashmyego wrote:
Huh? He's 'done everything right'? No, this problem exists because he didn't do things correctly to start with, and didn't realize this and act to resolve the issues until all the pieces were in place for fulfillment. That's where the headaches came from.

When you hire someone for a fulfillment like this, and at the last minute attempt to amend it, you're going to hit these problems. Especially when you're doing it through an operation as large as Amazon's. It's kind of sad the lengths Isaac has gone to throw Amazon under the bus. He's as much to blame for the lack of oversight.

I'm glad to know that YOU know exactly what happened and what Isaac's mistakes were since a VAST majority have arrived fine. Also sorry you have been irreparably harmed and there cannot possibly be any satisfactory resolution for you, oh omnipotence seer of what Isaac/Amazon did/didn't do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Matthews
msg tools
Just as omnipotent as everyone who's claiming Isaac did everything correctly and has no blame in this at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince R.
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trashmyego wrote:
Just as omnipotent as everyone who's claiming Isaac did everything correctly and has no blame in this at all.

Fair enough. Perhaps feeling sorry for him could be overboard, but sometimes you do everything you can and still things turn to shit. Sometimes you could have done better, sometimes it's out of your hands. That's life.

But let's have a tiny bit of perspective. Most of this fulfillment has gone right so far. Very few, including myself, are having issues. Life isn't perfect, especially if you are one person trying to put out a game like this.

If you were excited about having this game, realize it was thought of and brought to creation by one dude doing what he can. So far it's a little delay for a small subset of people. Much better than never having the game created.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd T
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's take stock of what has has done amazingly well at so far:

1. Created unique combat mechanics and blend together really well.
2. Developed a rich and interesting legacy-style campaign, along with a re-playable random scenario generator.
3. Solicited and engaged with talented artists (Josh and Alexandr).
4. Worked with a board game manufacturer to physically produce the game.
5. Launched a highly successful Kickstarter campaign selling the game for a very reasonable rate.
6. Worked with a miniature sculpture maker to finalize the miniature design.
7. Helped figure out a way to stuff all of the many, many components into a box with an above-average storage system.
8. Had it all manufactured and sent off to various distributors across the world.
9. Achieved the #1 most anticipated board game for 2017.
10. Received critical acclaim from a variety of high profile game reviewers.
11. Risen through the ranks already to be the highest rated thematic game on BGG.
12. Answered promptly and helpfully to many questions regarding playing the game.
13. Has kept everyone one in consistent and transparent communication during the ups and downs of the product development and fulfillment.

While the Amazon snafus are frustrating for those of us in the US who want to get our hands on the game, Isaac has done everything in his power to make our experience the best it can be. Kudos, Isaac!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
trashmyego wrote:

Meh. He's doing the best he knows how. I propose counting all the things done right while cutting some slack for the one or two trip-ups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say he's doing everything right but he's trying hard to correct what went wrong. Remember this is only his second game and you can read all the blogs/books/articles/etc. you want on how to run KS'er campaigns or fulfillment but going through it is where you really gain experience on what to/not to do. For such a large project both in scope and size of the game I'd say he's doing a damn fine job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delays are one of the least important reasons why I'm not looking at Kickstarter any more (though I would certainly look at anything produced by Isaac if it has the scope of Gloomhaven)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danlicata wrote:
I wouldn't say he's doing everything right but he's trying hard to correct what went wrong. Remember this is only his second game and you can read all the blogs/books/articles/etc. you want on how to run KS'er campaigns or fulfillment but going through it is where you really gain experience on what to/not to do. For such a large project both in scope and size of the game I'd say he's doing a damn fine job.

So much this. I don't care if things go wrong, that's usually part of the process. I care about WHAT the company does when things go wrong. And in this, Isaac has been awesome. He has answered my communications in a timely, informative manner. He has been very open and straight forward with what's been happening. His fixes are what I would have done. This feels like a Jamie Stegmaier campaign.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.