Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Game on
badge
Game Time
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
If I may ask:
1. if an "Appel" card is used, and a POW is in a room, and no escape attempt is present, and the POW stays, can the guard arrest them if within range of the die roll? The rules say they are safe in the safe areas and in a tunnel, but what about a room?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, can arrest them in a room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lightley
South Africa
flag msg tools
Hello, my sons, sister and I nearly came to blows last night.
When the Appel Card is used and I refuse to attend Appel, the guard must throw the dice and anyone in range of any guard is liable for arrest. Fine.

The two questions revolved around "range of the guard". One son was on the ledge outside the sickbay - one length of rope down, but had not yet thrown his second rope to get to the ground. The dice was thrown and the guard climbed a 30ft wall (without the aid of a rope) and arrested the prisoner.
I objected and the 3 other players said he was "in line of sight" of the guard, that there were rings linking him and the guard and he could be arrested.

The second time was when I was standing at the far corner of the chapel (not in the tunnel, which had not been dug yet). The Appel was called, I refused, dice was thrown and a guard came from outside the castle, through the not-yet-dug tunnel and arrested me in the chapel. As before the other players claimed that a row of rings (being the un-dug tunnel) linked me through the wall with the guard.

Please clarify the "range of the guard" rule. Can he go up and down walls without rope, through un-dug tunnels, etc.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Infinger
msg tools
Quote:
One son was on the ledge outside the sickbay - one length of rope down, but had not yet thrown his second rope to get to the ground. The dice was thrown and the guard climbed a 30ft wall (without the aid of a rope) and arrested the prisoner.
I objected and the 3 other players said he was "in line of sight" of the guard, that there were rings linking him and the guard and he could be arrested.

No, he could not be arrested unless the guard could legally move to his location. Since a guard cannot climb regardless of a rope from the outside he could never have arrested the POW on the ledge unless he could reach him from the window. Would he see the POW on the ledge... sure but he would still have to try and capture him on his portion of the turn.

Quote:
The second time was when I was standing at the far corner of the chapel (not in the tunnel, which had not been dug yet). The Appel was called, I refused, dice was thrown and a guard came from outside the castle, through the not-yet-dug tunnel and arrested me in the chapel. As before the other players claimed that a row of rings (being the un-dug tunnel) linked me through the wall with the guard.

This one is much easier. "A tunnel can only be used when an escape officer plays a matching tunnel card and moves two POW's into the tunnel" Once again if the officer could not make a legal path to the POW (not including an unopened tunnel) then the POW could not be arrested.

The distance calculated is actual legal move distance for every guard of the total rolled and not a distance around each officer in a radius of the total rolled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Vero
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Myktyp wrote:
The two questions revolved around "range of the guard". One son was on the ledge outside the sickbay - one length of rope down, but had not yet thrown his second rope to get to the ground. The dice was thrown and the guard climbed a 30ft wall (without the aid of a rope) and arrested the prisoner.

Please clarify the "range of the guard" rule. Can he go up and down walls without rope, through un-dug tunnels, etc.?

My take, for what it's worth, and bringing real life / theme of the game into play:
Through an un-dug tunnel or solid walls? Clearly not, ever.
As to other locations such as you describe, I think "line of sight" feels right. Once a roll-cal lwas made (in real life), if the headcount was short the guards would of course look everywhere possible*.
I think seeing someone on a roof would be a "find" - you would not be able to get out of the situation once spotted. Playing "come and get me then" would not wash really.

*notwithstanding the ingenuity for making dummy heads, often employed (from memory of the books by PR Reid) by the Dutch to hide the fact of an escape for as long as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.