tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks interesting. What are the "potentials" that they talk about towards the end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
luigi87 wrote:
It looks interesting. What are the "potentials" that they talk about towards the end?

All of the games in the GIPF family can be played together, by utilizing these potentials. You introduce pieces from the other game that follow the rules of that game in the current one.

I love the GIPF games, but have never really tried to do this. It seems to me an idea that while innovative and interesting, seems destined not to work very well.

Greatly looking forward to the chance to play this though. It sounds intriguing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
luigi87 wrote:

GIPF Project Set 1
GIPF Project Set 2
GIPF Project Set 3

I've played a little bit with them (but not with the option of playing a corresponding full game of DVONN, YINSH, etc to activate a potential).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
So I got something in common with Kris after all: the hairstyle .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TtVbTZNB28
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
luigi87 wrote:

The GIPF Project is a set of seven* 2p abstract games by Brum, GIPF being the central one. Each plays in a different way, and you can use (roughly) pieces from all the other games as part of GIPF. So when you're adding one of your pieces to the GIPF board, instead of a normal GIPF piece you could add a piece that is, say, a "DVONN potential" -- a basic piece with a DVONN piece on top of it. Then later you can use that potential to move in a way similar to how pieces move in DVONN instead of a regular move. (Some of the potentials match their home games more effectively than others.)

Then there's Ultimate GIPF, where, if you want to use one of your potentials, the opponent can challenge you. If they do, then you have to interrupt your GIPF game and then play the game that potential comes from. If you win, you get to make the move you'd planned in GIPF. If not, you have to do something else. Which is why they're called potentials -- on a GIPF board, a potential represents a **potential** specail move you may be able to do. But maybe you won't.

(Does anyone ever play this way? Well, I doubt very often.)

* The seven games are:
GIPF
TZAAR
ZERTZ
DVONN
YINCH
PUNCT
LYNGK (upcoming)

Originally, the second game in the series was a game called TAMSK that used sand timers, but it wasn't as well regarded and people who've played it said it wasn't as deep as the others; it's also more expensive to make. So it was replaced by TZAAR as "game 2," even though TZAAR came out later than some other titles. It's retroactively the second game because it's now what you have to win if you want to play the associated potential in a game of Ultimate GIPF. TAMSK hasn't been reprinted since TZAAR came out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.