Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a newcomer to the game myself, so I haven't introduced it to too many people yet.
Do you find it important to use the learning scenario when explaining the game to new players, or do you skip it and explain the game as you go along?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used it in my games with a new player so far (including my own first game). When using the complete setup in the first game, it can be hard for a new player to decide which scenario card to use, which units to muster and where to place them.
Plus I am generally a fan of playing games like the rules recommend to play them, including using simplified rules for a first game.

But indeed, it depends on the new player. At least if he already knows similar games, you could skip the learning scenario. After all, it is much less interesting than the full game. So I made sure that we had time to play two games when introducing a new player, one learning scenario and one full game, so that the new player wouldn't form his opinion of the game based on just having seen the very limited learning scearnio.
If you start with the full game, you could at least simplify the complete setup a little by randomly drawing only one scenario card each and then only choosing one of the three army cards to match the scenario card.

However, I would not explain the game "as I go along", leaving out important rules at first and for instance only telling a player about the effects of terrain once he wants to move a unit there. If I don't think the new player is capable of handling an explanation of the full rules up front, I would definitely start with the learning scenario. How would he be supposed to decide how to sensibly place his units during setup if he doesn't know the rules up front?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the great reply, Darador!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Bustos
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used it when I learned myself with couple. But I go full mode with new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Earle
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not. I used a couple of Youtube videos before playing and only consulted the rules when necessary. Good luck with your gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
Quote:
Good luck with your gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used it for my very first game, when my wife and I were learning to play together. She is more of a euro-gamer. For every other player I've taught the game to, I've gone straight to the full rules, but I usually give tactical advice and allow take-backs for the first game so that they understand the consequences of different actions and don't feel like I took advantage of their lack of knowledge.

EDIT: Let me add that while I don't go through the entire learning scenario, I will place some units on the board with some terrain and show examples of how movement and attacking works as I explain the rules before I actually start the game. I think a few key examples is more helpful than going through the learning scenario which is pretty boring. I feel that the concepts it covers are simple enough that you only need a couple turns to really understand them, so it isn't worth setting up a whole game just for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Garrett.
This is exactly what I was thinking I'd do, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S TS
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is necessary. I think it is really suited for when all players are not familiar with the rules. There really isn't much to the game s far as rules. I think these guys said it best, you can really each them with a few different type of characters and examples of lore and cards. It is a great game, my little kids love it, proving my point its easy to demonstrate in a few examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait to play it with my son. Only problem is, he's only 18 months old at present.. Still a few years off, I guess
geekydestro wrote:
It is a great game, my little kids love it, proving my point its easy to demonstrate in a few examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hayward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I used the learning scenario, but found it boring since there was no terrain or lore cards.

The second full game was much better. I wouldn't use the learning scenario if I was playing with a new player now, I would just go straight in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Alaska
msg tools
Depending on the player, the only thing I may remove during teaching are the lore cards. There's enough of a game there without lore that a newbie can really enjoy the experience without coming away feeling like they played only a fraction of the game. BL2e without lore gets you even closer to Memoir '44. Now you've just got the unit abilities to contend with.

If playing without lore, be sure to give each player a starting scenario that's balanced. Don't give one player a lore-rich objective, while the other player scores victory points for similar objectives.

The terrain is such a fundamental part of the game that I always use it when teaching. We jump right in to play, and I explain the terrain again as we go, providing strategy on why you might move a unit into various terrain features.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's some nice advice, silentspoon. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.