Subject: Supply (One more question considering Supply via Sea Zones) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david trenkwitz
Austria
vienna
vienna
flag msg tools
During my second game one uncertain situation arrised considering Supply via sea zones.
In our game Syracuse was still neutral, therefore Rome could only trace supply via the Strait of Messana. The Carthaginian Fleet was in the Italy Sea Zone. (The Roman fleet was in the Sardinia/ Corsica Sea Zone.) Now what is the supply status of Roman towns in Corsica/ Sardinia?

1.) Rome can trace supply via Sea to Messana and then via the Stait of Messana to Rome?

2.) All of Sardinian Roman settlements are out of supply as they cannot trace via sea to the Roman Harbor
(this interpration of the rules was enforced by the designers notes considereing Straits on page 8 which states that a Carthaginian fleet in the Italy Sea Zone can block oversea Supply to Sicily ....which seems to mean that Rome cannot trace for example from an Sicilian town via the Sicily Sea zone to Meassana and then overland via the Stait to Rome)

I think version 2 is correct, but I am not sure (and in our game we used the more generous interpretation as rule interpretation 2 would have been to harsh for the Roman player....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
4.4 - "Supply may not be traced more than 2 spaces across the straits of Messana in either direction."

Option 2 is correct. Tracing to Messana would not do any good since you can only trace two spaces over the straights, which would not reach Rome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david trenkwitz
Austria
vienna
vienna
flag msg tools
djberg96 wrote:
4.4 - "Supply may not be traced more than 2 spaces across the straits of Messana in either direction."

Option 2 is correct. Tracing to Messana would not do any good since you can only trace two spaces over the straights, which would not reach Rome.

Thanks for your answer. So a Sea Zone more or less counts as one space...so the supply route is comming from Rome over the Strait to Messana and then to either Tyndaris, Catana or The Italy sea zone ( I am aware that Sea Zones itself dont need supply).
The reason for this Rule interpretation is as follows:
I know that Rome should be able to trace Supply overland (via the Strait of Messana) to Tyndaris, Catana and of course Messana, but the way Rule 4.4. is written implies that Messana is out of supply when the Italy Sea zone enemy controlled as you could trace Supply from Messana over the Stait only to Temesa and not to Rome.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
david trenkwitz wrote:
In our game Syracuse was still neutral, therefore Rome could only trace supply via the Strait of Messana.

What it comes down to is that Rome needs to take Syracuse within the first two years - and ideally within the first year. You need access to four combat strength and a colonist as soon as possible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
David, I'm not sure what you mean by the sea zone counts as a space. You can trace up to two spaces by land across the straights.

When tracing supply, there's a single starting point, and a single end point, and you only trace in a single direction at a time. You can't "meet in the middle" as you're trying to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david trenkwitz
Austria
vienna
vienna
flag msg tools
Well, I think I know the intention of the rules.....it should not be prossible to trace supply via sea (as in my example form Sardinia) to Messana and from there to Rome. But of course it is possible to trace supply from Messana (or Tyndaris or Catana) via the Strait to Rome, even when the Sicily Sea Zone is enemy controled.

I know there is a single starting point and a single end point when tracing supply and I dont try to "meet in the middle" but when you follow the rules as written and trace supply from Messana over the strait you cannot reach Rome as Rome is more than two spaces away from the Strait and therefore Messana is out of supply when the Sicilian Sea Zone is enemy controled.
I dont think that this is the intention of the rules (at least as I understand them). The easiest way to clarify this problem is to say that you trace supply from the Supply source to the location that you want to supply and not the other way around (so you trace overland supply from Rome to Rhegium and from there over the Stait to Messana and then to one more Space-Catana or Tyndaris and when you treat the Sicily Sea Zone as one Space it is clear that the supply line from Rome is not extending beyond this Sea Zone to another Location on Sicily or to another sea zone and then to another Location in Sardinia/ Corsica or Africa as you can only extend the Supply line accros a Strait over two spaces)
I hope you understand what I mean.
I really think this is a great game and I want the rules to be as clear as possible!

And of course I understand that it is vital for the Roman player to conquer Syracuse but that is another discussion....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
David, I think I understand what you're saying. Also, it might help to say that if you trace across the straights at any point, you cannot also trace across the sea, or vice-versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
when you follow the rules as written and trace supply from Messana over the strait you cannot reach Rome as Rome is more than two spaces away from the Strait and therefore Messana is out of supply when the Sicilian Sea Zone is enemy controled.
I dont think that this is the intention of the rules (at least as I understand them).

Not only is it not the intention of the rules, but the rules quite clearly state that Messana, Catana and Tyndaris can trace supply from Sicily to Rome by land. [Page 8]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.