Tim Martyn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi

I've searched the forum and found a few posts that sort of relate to the question, but I'm not sure I'm necessarily any the wiser, so apologies if I'm repeating a question that's been posed a zillion times before!

Anyway, I find myself in the position where, having played the core set quests pretty fervently over the last couple of weeks (gave up on Escape from Dol Guldor after a single try. One to come back to when I've gained the confidence to play two-handed I think!), I'm thinking about branching out.

Somehow, in the intervening period between picking up the core game and now, I'm managed to accumulate a few expansions (how did that happen? Whenever I see those lovely square boxes and neat little APs I lose all sense of self-control!), which means I have to decide now which way to go from here, and I'd really appreciate some input.

I have 1 AP from the Shadows of Mirkwood Cycle - Journey to Rhosgobel (others are tricky to find, with exception of Emyn Muil which gets bad press).

I have the Khazad-dum expansion, plus a couple of APs for the Dwarrowdelf cycle. I also have Heirs of Numenor lined up (see what I mean?). The Against the Shadow APs are all available in the UK.

I have the 2 Hobbit saga expansions, and the Black Riders (no...self...controlblush).

So...which way should I go? Should I start with the cycles or the saga expansions? I guess whichever route I take, I gain a wider card pool, but I'd really welcome some input from experienced players.

I should add that I'm not averse to a challenge. I don't mind losing if I'm learning something from the experience.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The New Player Buying Guide
... from the Tales from the Cards blog is probably the most helpful and most posted source of information to (almost) every available expansion of the LotR LCG. This gives you a good place to read about the different quests and packs.

Of course all this information can be really overwhelming. Fortunately I don't think there are really any totally "wrong" buys with this game. What to buy and which route to take comes mostly down to preference of theme.

Btw I know how no self-control feels when you see a precious LotR expansion glistening on a shelf, I jsut gave up to resist and got all-in with the game a long time ago.

My advice would be to complete the Dwarrodelf cycle first because you already own some packs of it. The whole cycle is great and also contains lots of very good player cards.
The Mirkwood cycle has some solid player cards and quests, if you can get your hands on it you maybe should look for The Dead Marshes (Tactics Boromir is amazing) and Return to Mirkwood if not just for the heroes in those packs.

After that you could go straight to Heirs of Númenor and the Against the Shadow cycle. I especially enjoyed the HoN deluxe expansion very much because of all the epic battles. Be prepared for a challenge that will drive you through hell sometimes.

The saga expansions are highlights in its own and I would recommend them very much. Play the Black Riders, if you enjoyed it buy the next saga expansion, you will like it aswell.

I know this is not a real point-out but with this game it is hard to really tell someone which direction to go because you'll find good (and some less good) stuff on every path. Still I hope this helps a little

Edit: Welcome to BGG!!
I almost overlooked that you are new here. Have yourself some to buy a microbadge if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey - and welcome to BGG! Also, any LOTR fan deserves their own avatar - so have one on me.

If you have the Khazad-dum expansion and APs and the Hobbit sagas, you should be able to make a few strong, thematic-feeling dwarf decks to play through them all - the Dwarrowdelf cycle and the decks I built using its cards are still some of my favourites tbh - so I'm probably biased in telling you to start there!

EDIT: Highly recommend checking out the new player guide posted above, too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Martyn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for your input, which is as helpful as ever. Before I do anything, I've actually decided to try a two-handed attempt at Escape from Dol Guldur, more than anything in order to satisfy my curiosity about playing two decks solo. From there, to Moria I think. Due to stock issues, I'll have to play the cycle out of order...I'm guessing that isn't a huge problem (other than disrupting the narrative that is)?

It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only person to be afflicted by a complete lack of self-control! Put...on...the...Ring.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing "out of order" is only faintly different than playing in order. Yes, the quests have a story path but unless you're playing the entire cycle back to back it really doesn't matter. Think of it as less important to continuing than missing one episode of a TV show; certainly not as important as missing the middle movie of a Trillogy.

In regards to Dol Guldor, it is a difficult scenario! Double handed is the bare minimum and good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Martyn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Robrob wrote:

In regards to Dol Guldor, it is a difficult scenario! Double handed is the bare minimum and good luck.

Thanks! My word, that is one tough quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPBelt
United States
Fern Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get another core set. You really need it for deck building. I got mine used cheap. Also, build this killer deck using the core. A 2nd core makes it even better. Your LotR LCG life will never be the same.

Killer core deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Martyn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
CPBelt wrote:
Get another core set. You really need it for deck building. I got mine used cheap. Also, build this killer deck using the core. A 2nd core makes it even better. Your LotR LCG life will never be the same.

Killer core deck

I was really hoping to avoid splashing out on another core set. Even secondhand it's the same cost as another expansion or couple of APs. What do other people think? Does a second core set really add a huge amount to the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take more variety over another core for this particular LCG. With 5+ cycles worth of cards I have more trouble narrowing down the cards I want than finding something good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
I'll take more variety over another core for this particular LCG. With 5+ cycles worth of cards I have more trouble narrowing down the cards I want than finding something good.

Agreed. I've never had a problem building fun and competitive decks with only one core set - even for nightmare scenarios. So +1 for variety, rather than duplicating a core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Martyn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm guessing there are other cards in the expansions that provide a similar utility to some of the core set cards you might want duplicates of (i.e.something that provides an effect similar to Unexpected Courage). I guess I'll find out. Still, it's a relief to hear that a single core + expansions/APs are enough to deal with anything the game can throw at you. For what it's worth, I had my first attempt at playing two-handed last night and you know what, it wasn't nearly as confusing as I'd expected. The key is an organised play area, and to not rush. By putting the First Player token next to the threat counter, I always remembered to pass it at the end of the refresh phase. In fact, the only thing that came as a real surprise is that 30 resource tokens isn't enough. I had Steward of Gondor and Theodred in play, and I ended up having to use progress markers as resource tokens.

Out of interest, what does everyone else do when they run out of tokens?

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
bluegnu wrote:
I'm guessing there are other cards in the expansions that provide a similar utility to some of the core set cards you might want duplicates of

There's always more than one way to do something, or achieve similar results. There are temporary and permanent ways to reduce costs or increase resources or attributes, and I think there are ways to discard for resources (or paying costs/trading for other cards) and ways to get the cards back.

Then you have ways to simply avoid getting into situations that require resource-spending or combat in the first place.

Quote:
what does everyone else do when they run out of tokens?

Just about anything works. Even polished rocks

I have plenty of FFG tokens (gold and silver), skulls and coins. Should I run out I dig into that box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.