Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JDM
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game of Troyes yesterday, and it was a solo game. Really interesting, and hoping to get some more plays out of it soon! I had a LOT of questions and ambiguities about the rules that I'm hoping some people might be able to clarify...

- How does placement of Le Roy work at the start of the game when things start getting filled up? I'm assuming that you just stop rolling the red dice when the count's palace (the red building) is full? What do you do, for example, if on Le Roy's third placement turn there is only one open spot on the the count's palace? Do you just roll five dice? (This could happen very easily if Le Roy takes two red spaces on his first placement turn, I take two red spaces on my first turn, he takes one red space on his second turn, and I take no red spaces on my second turn. He'd then have one open red space for his third turn. Should he still roll two red dice?)

- I feel like there are a lot of fringe cases involving placing worker meeples for Le Roy that worry me. What if he can't expel one of my workers? How do I know which space to put it in, then? Is it based on the number of the die chosen, or whether he's pushing one of my meeples a bit closer to being expelled? (EDIT: Looks like this question has been answered elsewhere; you go with the placement diagram for the setup. That sounds reasonable to me.) What do I do if he can't actually place the die because we've both already been expelled from that building this turn?

- What do you do if there are two same-priced, equal-victory-point spaces when you're placing a tradesman meeple? The rules say to place the tradesman by first finding the highest VP spaces and then choosing the least expensive one. There are lots of situations, however, where you could have equal cost, equal VP spaces to choose from within the same color; how do you choose?

- At the end of the game, do I still do normal scoring (e.g., negative points for levels on the cathedral and points for unfinished event cards) for both me and Le Roy? Is the character card scoring the only thing that's tweaked for the end game, and then everything else is exactly the same as if I'm playing against another person in a two-person game?

Great game! I will love it even more if people can help me patch over some of these (admittedly idiosyncratic) questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Buttery
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I want to try the Solo, but you are right, the rules can be a little vague. I kinda understand the placement of citizens in the initial placement of meeples, until it talks about equal values, how the values are irrelevant and placing in the best spots?

Resolving events too. He spends a dice per banner, but does color of dice matter? Do they have to match the colour needed to place a banner or will any dice do? Does he complete the entire card?

Many questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hayashida
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game. I looked at the solo rules to try to learn the game, and then thought, "Nope!"

I set up a fake three-player game instead. It looks like there enough to be confused by, let alone adding complexity with the solo rules.

Best of luck. I'm check back when I'm more ready to play solo. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JDM
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gammon wrote:
I want to try the Solo, but you are right, the rules can be a little vague. I kinda understand the placement of citizens in the initial placement of meeples, until it talks about equal values, how the values are irrelevant and placing in the best spots?

Resolving events too. He spends a dice per banner, but does color of dice matter? Do they have to match the colour needed to place a banner or will any dice do? Does he complete the entire card?

Many questions.

My understanding of the initial placement:

Roll all six dice. Find your three "best" dice, which are determined first by the numbers showing on the dice and then by the colors on the dice. So if you rolled...

Red 6
Yellow 5
White 5
Red 4
White 2
Yellow 1

Your three "best" dice would be the Red 6, Yellow 5, and White 5. Once you know what the COLORS of your three best dice are, you then ignore the numbers on those dice and consult the little charts on the solo sheet to see where you place the dummy workers.

And as far as resolving events goes, the rules say that "Le Roy always spends his best dice", so you just spend a die per banner on the card. They don't have to match the card. He will resolve the ENTIRE card, EVEN if there are more spaces on the event than he has dice. That's because of this line: "If the price exceeds his number of remaining dice, le Roy still completes the action using all of his remaining dice." So - he just spends his best dice possible, one at a time as many times as necessary, to resolve the entire event. But even if he has fewer dice than banners remaining on the card, he spends all of his remaining dice and just resolves the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
neotrunks2002 wrote:
Gammon wrote:

My understanding of the initial placement:

Roll all six dice. Find your three "best" dice, which are determined first by the numbers showing on the dice and then by the colors on the dice. So if you rolled...

Red 6
Yellow 5
White 5
Red 4
White 2
Yellow 1

Your three "best" dice would be the Red 6, Yellow 5, and White 5. Once you know what the COLORS of your three best dice are, you then ignore the numbers on those dice and consult the little charts on the solo sheet to see where you place the dummy workers.

That is correct for initial placements. Once the buildings fill up (which isn't overly likely to happen), I'm pretty sure you then follow order of priority for the die colours (red > white > yellow) to determine which building is occupied instead of the full one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
- What do you do if there are two same-priced, equal-victory-point spaces when you're placing a tradesman meeple? The rules say to place the tradesman by first finding the highest VP spaces and then choosing the least expensive one. There are lots of situations, however, where you could have equal cost, equal VP spaces to choose from within the same color; how do you choose?

I believe at this point you just choose one at random. The rules don't specify, and mechanically it isn't important for LeRoy which one he occupies.

Quote:
- At the end of the game, do I still do normal scoring (e.g., negative points for levels on the cathedral and points for unfinished event cards) for both me and Le Roy? Is the character card scoring the only thing that's tweaked for the end game, and then everything else is exactly the same as if I'm playing against another person in a two-person game?

Correct - end game scoring is the same as normal apart for character cards - of which some are scored during the game, and any remaining ones are resolved at end game as per normal.

The LeRoy rules unfortunately are far from exhaustive and have quite a few holes, but it does work well and gives a decent solo experience for a game that would otherwise not be suitable for solo play without the use of a generic solo system (such as The Solo System) or playing two handed.
They also don't detail how to integrate the expansion (Ladies of Troyes) properly, though this can mostly be done with a few sensible assumptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.