Subject: Bouncing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I'm new to the game so please bare with me..

Do I understand it correctly that a fighter can repeatedly bounce the same bomber unit to get that juicy +2 drm (for example if the bomber unit is broken and returning to base and the sun is above)? After the initial bounce the fighter spends a turn climbing, next turn it bounces the bombers, then repeats the procedure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brastias wrote:

I'm new to the game so please bare with me..

Do I understand it correctly that a fighter can repeatedly bounce the same bomber unit to get that juicy +2 drm (for example if the bomber unit is broken and returning to base and the sun is above)? After the initial bounce the fighter spends a turn climbing, next turn it bounces the bombers, then repeats the procedure.

Welcome to the game, Bratislas! I really enjoy it and I hope you do too.

First question - which version of the rules are you using? Version 1.0 shipped with the first printing of the game. Version 1.3 (legacy) can be downloaded from these forums or at http://www.airbattle.co.uk/

Version 2.0 is the most current and shipped with Wing Leader: Supremacy and can also be downloaded here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/139556/wing-leader-ru...

It actually doesn't matter for the discussion. Aside from some rewording and reformatting, I believe the bouncing rules have remained the same.

I'm going to go on the assumption you're reading the printed rules in the box, 1.0.

Next, you mention a +2 drm. The charts that I have for the air combat table that shipped with WL:V show a +1 for a bounce [13.4.1]. Any positive drm is a good thing, but +2 is a little better than you should be getting.

According to a reading of the 13.4.1 rule, you can bounce a bomber only if you attack out of the sun. Bombers cannot tally, so they cannot negate the out of the sun effect, neither can they be bounced for having a tally outside its square. However, they do not have an alert state, so they cannot be bounced based on their alert state.

Thus, technically, you could bounce a bomber squadron repeatedly if you kept on finding a way to get out of the square and re-enter it from out of the sun. There are a number of sun positions, movement directions and altitude/aircraft performance options which would allow that.

HOWEVER, there is a mechanic which makes that more difficult, if not exactly impossible. It's easy to forget that you cannot climb and dive in the same turn [8.5]. So, you couldn't have a combat on turn one, drop tally, and then in turn two, climb out of the square and dive back in to attack in the same turn. You'd have to climb out and wait a turn, then attack the following turn. You mention that in your question that you climb in one turn, then attack afterwards on the following turn, so you sound like you know that.

Secondly, squadrons typically (statistically) break after two or three attacks due to cohesion.

So, the best you could do it bounce a bomber squadron every OTHER turn for the +1 drm (and not a +2 drm), and hope you don't break from cohesion. With a veteran squadron, that's not too difficult. You just have to roll a 5 or over (+1 veteran, +1 attacking side squadron). With a trained squadron and no other modifiers, you need a 6 (+1 attacking squadron side), and green you'd need a 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Christopher.

My game has the 1.0 rulebook but I mainly refer to the 2.0 version when I play (and when I ask questions...)

I was a bit unclear with the +2 drm. What I meant was that the fighter could bounce the bomber, then spend a turn to climb, then bounce it again getting the +1 drm for bouncing plus the +1 for the dive for a total of +2.

Since a "bounce" is a surprise attack, it just felt a bit odd having bomber crews with a collective goldfish memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Workman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
>I'm new to the game so please bare with me.

I laughed out loud at this. You're asking him to get naked with you. It's "bear with me". But can I borrow that as a pickup line?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Freudian slip...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hepp
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
O-H!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brastias wrote:
I was a bit unclear with the +2 drm. What I meant was that the fighter could bounce the bomber, then spend a turn to climb, then bounce it again getting the +1 drm for bouncing plus the +1 for the dive for a total of +2.

The dive bonus is not a DRM, the dive bonus increases your Speed value by one so should put you on a different column on the CRT. It does not increase your die roll (like the bounce does).

The items above the CRT on the chart modify the values you use to determine which column you use on the CRT. The items below the CRT modify the die roll you make on the CRT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Sorry. I was confused. Most likely because of the Freudian slip.
I should have written "[...]plus the +1 drm for attacking from the direction of the sun for a total of +2."
Now let me forget I started this thread in the first place and...thanks for baring with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can repeatedly bounce bombers out of the Sun. But you will need to spend a turn between attacks repositioning yourself for the next attack out of the Sun. That may be time you do not have to spare.

As others have noted, the dive will increase your basic combat value while the bounce provides a die roll modifier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.