Subject: Oniverse Game Unification Theory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure I read a post about this somewhere months and months ago - but cannot find it now. Sorry if this is considered old news.

Last Year Shadi Torbey was interviewed on the Low Player Count podcast and said something along the lines of: The games in the Oniverse Series were linked in someway, through the artwork.

I've put together a theory of sorts. No doubt full of confirmation-bias and glaring holes - but feel free to add your own comments and thoughts or simply rip it apart thumbsup. I hope at least it might make someone smarter than me think about it.

Here's the basic hypothesis: Each of the Doors in Onirim represent one of the games in Oniverse Series.

Here's some evidence:

Green Doors are the Garden Doors - Sylvion is set in a forest and all about stopping a forest fire; which is a nightmare theme. Some of the red blobs on the Onirim artwork look like a bit like flames.

Blue Doors are the Aquarium Doors - Nautilion is all about a Submarine underwater. Nautilion is a race of the Nautilion vs Phantom, the Onirim artwork contains lots of pipes; which is symbolic of a path to follow. I think there's a common nightmare theme here again: racing to a finish line, or being trapped underwater.

Here's where it gets interesting:

Brown Doors are the Library Doors - Castellion is about building a castle. I'll reference the 1st and 2nd edition Onirim Artwork here:

I think the 1st edition bookshelves almost look like square tiles. The second edition artwork contain bastions of sorts. The images in both editions show books flying around. There's another nightmare theme here about around disorganization; no one wants a library in disarray. Castellion is about organizing tiles to build fortifications. Are books not a fortification of the mind and a refuge from the world?

Red Doors are the Observatory Doors - I don't think there is a game to represent this yet. But given the artwork contains maps and globes, I wonder if some sort of 'Area Control' Game is next in the Oniverse Series.

There is also the question of Urbion/Equillibrion - There is questionable where it sits in the Oniverse series, but it has been stated it would be reprinted. I don't think it covers the Red Doors, but all of the artwork in Urbion shows weird and wonderful mythical beasts. I wonder if this is a representation of the 'Dream Catchers' or the 'Inhabitants of the Oniverse' expansions to Onirim.

If that's the case it would make 6 games in the series; the current quoted number.

So there we have it, I'm basically looking forward to an Onirim expansion where I have to win Sylvion/Castellion/Nautilion/?? every-time I find the corresponding door!

What do you think?

Additional Theories from the Comments below

Looking at the Books from the Library, they look like squares with shapes in the middle; similar in ways to the Castellion tiles.

Is the Observatory linked to a space adventure game, or possibly a look at the landscapes of the Oniverse?

Urbion artwork contains many cross-references: serpents,incubus,forest animals and fish:

Perhaps Urbion represents the landscapes of the Oniverse and linked to the Observatory.

Also the Onirim promo Diver cards look very similar to the Urbion Card backs:

The Nautilion rule book contains gold-fish on the first page, very similar to those found on the Aquarium cards of Onirim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great theory Tom and seems to add up! Perhaps the observatory points to some kind of a space theme - space exploration?

Hopefully others will come with their suggestions. I'm going to keep an eye out on the other games for anything which might add to the theory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
piman wrote:
I remember the Low Player Count podcast, but the implication I took from that was 13 games were planned, as hinted in the Onirim expansions manual. (Which also matches the door count, so your theory isn't necessarily wrong.)

Another possibility I considered was 9 games, Onirim and the 8 different denizens ("things to come"). The architect, squirrels, and harpoon hunters fit this theory closely. But I don't see the connection to Urbion - maybe the Chromatic Chaos? But the other three are much more direct.

Recently I've seen multiple claims of six planned games - Where did he say that?

Chromatic Chaos and the Chaos cards from Urbion share the same shape. Them being chromatic means they could have chosen to turn blue during the Urbion events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I think about it, a lot of the Uribion art might actually cross over a lot of the other games. The serpents do look similar and the incubus are nightmares from Onirim. There are fish depicted like Nautilion and lots of animals which are very similar to those found in Sylvion.

I'm pretty sure 6 games was mentioned during the LCP interview - or did I just make that up?

I like the space theory too! I also wondered if spy-glasses might have something to do with line-of-sight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Leblanc
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Decar wrote:

Red Doors are the Observatory Doors - I don't think there is a game to represent this yet. But given the artwork contains maps and globes, I wonder if some sort of 'Area Control' Game is next in the Oniverse Series.

this in particular got me thinking, I could totally see some sort of solo/coop version of Eight-Minute Empire: Legends with each card having a positive and negative action on it, threats coming from all sides representing the various threats in other games, all with the gorgeous art and a true look at the landscape of the Oniverse!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best bit is knowing that Mr Torbey will undoubtedly find a tight game-cycle in what ever genre he tackles next!

I've added some additional suggestions and thoughts to the original post. Thanks for all the suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Decar wrote:
The best bit is knowing that Mr Torbey will undoubtedly find a tight game-cycle in what ever genre he tackles next!

I've added some additional suggestions and thoughts to the original post. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Have you got Nautilion yet Tom? Have seen no sign of it in the U.K. yet!! Grr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lucky enough to grab a copy at Essen 2016. Something I moaned about here. I've only managed to get it to my table a couple of times - I've been mental busy! I can't believe how long Z-man is taking to get these games onto shelves here in the UK!

I was disappointed to see no Z-man booth at Spiel '16 - I was hoping to find Mr Torbey and Ms Plessis signing/drawing like they did in 2015, for the launch of Sylvion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Atredis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Atredis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So, from what I can see, the chromatic chaos like like a card from Urbion. So, I'm guessing one game a denizen plus Onirim to tie it together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.