Subject: Next Step After Thurn and Taxis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I really enjoy playing 2 player T&T. We play it quite often after the baby goes to bed.

Here is what we like:
1. Fast Game (around 45 minutes).
2. Not too much take-that. Even though we enjoy playing Kahuna, it is nice to sit and play a more relaxing game.
3. Hand management is fun.
4. It is really a race to obtain certain goals or victory points. Makes it a fun challenge.
5. Not too heavy. Easy to teach.
6. It can handle more than 2 players, which increases its replayability.

I am NOT interested in the expansion. It costs too much for a different map.

So I have been considering Blue Moon City. I am a little nervous that she won't like the fantasy theme and that the cards will be too confusing.

You can see from my profile that I own about 20 games. Her favorites are Carcassonne H&G, Thurn & Taxis, Kahuna, and Taluva.

Other games that I am considering besides BMC are Arkadia, Cleopatra and the SOA, Downfall of Pompeii, and Masons (might be too abstract).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcons wrote:

Other games that I am considering besides BMC are Arkadia, Cleopatra and the SOA, Downfall of Pompeii, and Masons (might be too abstract).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I've not played BMC yet.

I like and would recomend all 4 of the games you list, although I've never played any of them 2 player.

I'd think that Cleopatra would be a poor choice for 2 player. It's a scoring system where the player(s) with the most corruption is eliminated and the remaing player with the most cash wins.

2-player games my wife and I have enjoyed: Carcassonne, Cribbage, Tally Ho, Flower Power, Battleline, Lost Cities, Balloon Cup.

I've not played it with my wife yet, but Mr. Jack is high on my too purchase list and something you might want to look into.

Also, since I see you're from Mass, you and your wife should be sure to check out Unity Games:
http://www.unitygames.org/ugxiii/ugxiii.htm
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/139

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I got to play To Court the King this weekend, and although we played with 3, it struck me as a great 2-player game. It's dice rolling, sort of like Yahtzee, but with hand management. You buy cards based on the dice you roll, and the cards you purchase let you modify your die results so that you can get better and better rolls. There's not a lot for the other players to do when you're taking your turns but watch, so it might be more fun with two.

On the Underground is another new game that might be good with two. Again, I played with 4, but it strikes me as a great 2-p game.

There are tons of good 2-player "spouse" games, and there are lots of geeklists that mention them. Start with Lost Cities and check out which Geeklists it's appeared on - you'll find lots of good ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Leach
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I just got my wife to play Thurn and Taxis the other night. She liked it quite a bit. I think her fav. part was being able to play a route without having to worry too much about what the other players were up to. I then tried to get her to play Blue Moon City, didn't even make it through the rules. I think it had less to do with theme then it did with fiddly names for the bits/too many things to remeber.

I would suggest a game that's not on your list though. Hansa, my wife loved this game as well, I think for a lot of the same reasons that she likes Thurn and Taxis. Not any real long term planning involved, you can socialize a lot while the game is going on. They both play so fast that you aren't bummed if you lost. I say give Hansa a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon city is a lot of fun and the cards may be confusing at first.... but by the first game she and you will get it. My girlfriend prefers it over T&T by a landslide as there are more options and the hand management is a lot more fun.

The bits and art in BMC are very nice so even if you are not into the theme you can appreciate the nice art that went into the game.

my two cents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon City is great. You have to cooperate most of the time as you surely can't win the game without some help from your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My concern with Blue Moon City is that the cards are confusing. As Scott states on his video review the cards have big pictures but on a tiny bit of important information.

Do the cards make the game diffucult to teach? Can BMC be a gateway game or is too much going on? How would you compare its complexity with T&T?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Leach
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't really classify BMC as a gateway game. I know that some do, I just feel it's a bit too fiddly for that. I find it's complexity a tad bit higher than Thurn and Taxis. BMD has more hand managment, more resource managment, and as you point out the components aren't all that user friendly. I think that BMC is quite a big complexity step for non gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Here's a few that I'd recommend. All are as easy to learn and to play as T&T and play pretty quickly. Basically these are what I see as the best light to medium weight games in a class with Thurn and Taxis.

San Juan
Ingenious
Blokus
Blue Moon City
Battle Line or Schotten Totten (2 player)
Winner's Circle
Hollywood Blockbuster or Traumfabrik
Rumis
Through The Desert
Jambo (2 player)
Downfall of Pompeii, The

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Saint Petersburg, it's a nice light game that plays very well with 2 players, but can play up to four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to mention Ticket To Ride, then noticed you already own it. Some good two player games that my partner and I play that match some (but not all) of your requirements are:

Balloon Cup - You are racing to collect coloured cubes by collecting and playing cards of certain colours on certain balloons

Dracula - A bit of a memory game, you move around the board and collect Coffins or Victims whilst confusing your opponent.

Carcassonne AND Carcassonne: The Castle - The Castle is only a two player game and is, in my opinion, the best one to get if you are only going to play with your partner, though regular Carcassonne and all other variants support more players, they just aren't as fun with two players (again, in my opinion).

Clans - Is a simple 'area control' type game where the identity (colour) of players are hidden, so you are not overtly 'taking-that'. It works well with 2-5 players.

Odin's Ravens - A racing game where players collect and play cards to race their ravens down a linear path. This is one of my partner's favourite games, she beats me all the time and I don't know how...so frustrating cry

Puerto Rico - I think the two player variant works well for a nice, quick game. Need I mention its popularity with more players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan, definitely! It has all you wanted: Hand management, race, no take that, handles up to four players, easy to understand and teach but has multiple routes to victory, and plays under 45 mins. And it is fun! One of my favorite two players games, you really should try this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcons wrote:
My concern with Blue Moon City is that the cards are confusing. As Scott states on his video review the cards have big pictures but on a tiny bit of important information.

Do the cards make the game diffucult to teach? Can BMC be a gateway game or is too much going on? How would you compare its complexity with T&T?

The cards are not confusing. After a single play you will know what they all do. Also you can always keep the manual open to the page that explains them all as you learn. That is what we have done when introducing it to new players and it worked very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.