7 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Range area of attack and disadvantage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I perform a ranged area of attack, are targets adjacent to me still attacked at disadvantage? My crag heart has a large area of attack (7 hexes I believe) and frequently one or two of the enemies end up adjacent to me even if I am technically aiming at a hex that is not adjacent to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirby_j3 wrote:
If I perform a ranged area of attack, are targets adjacent to me still attacked at disadvantage? My crag heart has a large area of attack (7 hexes I believe) and frequently one or two of the enemies end up adjacent to me even if I am technically aiming at a hex that is not adjacent to me.

Sure. I don't understand your last sentence. You are aiming at all of the hexes in the target area of effect. Targets that are adjacent to you have disadvantage, the others do not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Allen
United States
White Settlement
Texas
flag msg tools
www.bobweekend.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The clue is ranged and area.

The attack has a target then there is area damage from that point.

If you target an adjacent character than I would consider the attack as disadvantaged for all that are affected.

If you target a distant character than the attack would not be disadvantaged.

In the first case all affected characters the attack would be disadvantaged regardless of their proximity to the attacker. The opposite applies to the second case. All characters even those next to the attacker are attacked normal.

Making up stuff to avoid spoilers. Suppose I have a throwing hammer that has a crushing blow that impacts 7 hexes, the center(target) and everything around it(area effect) +3 to the target and 1 to neighbors. If I throw the hammer at the monster adjacent to me I could not get the full thrust as the hammer impacts before I release it(disadvantage applied to the attack). If I throw the hammer at the guy further away I get full range of motion and the impact should have full effect even on the monsters next to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobweekend wrote:

If you target an adjacent character than I would consider the attack as disadvantaged for all that are affected.

In the first case all affected characters the attack would be disadvantaged regardless of their proximity to the attacker. The opposite applies to the second case. All characters even those next to the attacker are attacked normal.

Making up stuff to avoid spoilers. Suppose I have a throwing hammer that has a crushing blow that impacts 7 hexes, the center(target) and everything around it(area effect) +3 to the target and 1 to neighbors. If I throw the hammer at the monster adjacent to me I could not get the full thrust as the hammer impacts before I release it(disadvantage applied to the attack). If I throw the hammer at the guy further away I get full range of motion and the impact should have full effect even on the monsters next to me.

I'm not so sure about this. You're going to draw a separate attack modifier card for each enemy affected, right? Are you saying that you will apply Disadvantage to all of those draws if you attack a space adjacent to you? P21 says "Also note that each target constitutes a separate attack, but all attacks together make up a single attack action." That makes it sound to me like Disadvantage only applies to the adjacent targets and it really doesn't matter where the original target hex is. I haven't played yet, so I'm just reading the rules on the web. Maybe I missed something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobweekend wrote:
Suppose I have a throwing hammer that has a crushing blow that impacts 7 hexes, the center(target) and everything around it(area effect) +3 to the target and 1 to neighbors.

I guess it would depend on EXACTLY what the card says. The rulebook doesn't cover this type of attack (one that has a specific target and also an area effect). So the exact text on the card would be very important. Maybe you should post it in a spoiler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dust Tornado targets each hex. You evaluate disadvantage for eAch hex individually. Compare to massive boulder which just does unblockable splash damage. You don't roll modifiers for that, so shields and the modifier deck and poison disadvantage all don't count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Crossan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
bobweekend wrote:

Strongly disagree. The AOE pattern depicted is only used to determine potential targets, it has no bearing on whether Disadvantage is applied to them. Inherently, only proximity affects/dictates Disadvantage, in the case of a ranged attack.

If an AOE targets three hexes, and each of the three hexes is occupied by an enemy, you now have three targets which will be resolved independently as part of the Attack Action. In the process of resolving each of those three individual ranged attacks you check for Disadvantage, applying it as necessary to each target which is adjacent to the attacking character, and then draw an appropriate number of modifier cards from the attacker's modifier deck.

"I'm attacking these three guys who are grouped nicely for this ranged Attack3 AOE. They're all gonna take buckets of damage because I have this sweet power potion. First, I'm hitting this big guy in the back. I draw a card from my modifier deck, fuck yeah, it's a +2. He takes 6. Now this second guy. Hmm, he's next to me. Bummer. Ah well, I have Disadvantage. I draw a card from my modifier deck... it's a +1. I draw a second card... it's a -1. I apply the weaker of the two modifiers, so he takes 3. Balls. This third guy is also adjacent to me... Disadvantage again. I draw my 2x! It's a crit! One more card to satisfy Disadvantage... it's a rolling Muddle. The muddle effect is disregarded, this poor fucker takes 8 damage. He's way dead. I'm the hero my party needs."

Simply put -- If the attack is ranged (AOE or otherwise), and the target is adjacent, the attacker has Disadvantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.