8 Posts

Rum & Bones: Second Tide» Forums » Rules

Subject: Isn't Snapjaw's Deep Fury a little bit OP? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Javier Jimenez
msg tools
mb
I've only played two games so far. About to start the third. And the game is a lot of fun except for this guy.

Either we're doing things wrong or his Deep Fury skill ends up being too OP. Does it REALLY target heroes directly or do priority rules apply?

I often find myself in situations where my opponent who's playing him has a high Kraken pool and manages to kill my heroes easily with this skill. Sometimes even more than one if I'm not careful.

Also, what happens when the Kraken pool reaches 10? Can you still use skills or items that increase it? And if the Kraken dies, is it a free pass to use anything that increases it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scottie Mick
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Unless it's a basic attack, you can only use other skills once per activation.

As for the Kraken pool: it stays at 10, doesn't reset even if Kraken is summoned. If you have to increase the Kraken pool to pay for the cost of an ability, you cannot use said ability (confirmed by CMON on the KS' comments thread).

As for tide cards that push the kraken pool up by one: these can still be played, as the kraken pool increase is an effect of playing the card (not a cost to use it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Jimenez
msg tools
mb
scottiewolfe wrote:
Unless it's a basic attack, you can only use other skills once per activation.

I know, and that's how we're using it but still if it targets heroes DIRECTLY, it's a bit OP. I mean when the Kraken pool is 10, he's dealing 10 dmg to every hero he can reach with the skill. Even if he just uses it once per activation, it can one-hit kill almost any hero with not many chances of blocking it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
By the time you get to that stage the Kraken should be:

a) In play.
b) Dealing 14 damage per hit on it's 4,5,6. (To Snapjaw's team, assuming they're on 10 kraken pool)

All the other team has to do vs a team with Snapjaw is kill him or stay split up.

I've actually seen someone use their guys to hit the kraken during their turn - not to kill it but to get the instant reply on a 6, with a 50% chance of wiping the other team board with the kraken, while they shrug off their damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Berg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bone White wrote:
By the time you get to that stage the Kraken should be:

a) In play.
b) Dealing 14 damage per hit on it's 4,5,6. (To Snapjaw's team, assuming they're on 10 kraken pool)

All the other team has to do vs a team with Snapjaw is kill him or stay split up.

I've actually seen someone use their guys to hit the kraken during their turn - not to kill it but to get the instant reply on a 6, with a 50% chance of wiping the other team board with the kraken, while they shrug off their damage.

The 4,5, and 6 on the Kraken roll only deals bonus damage equal to the difference between the two crew's kraken pools. So having 10 in your pool does not automatically mean +10 damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shark
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides Viana the De Muerte Captain has an ability to shoot DMG with coin at a range of 2. If she is loaded up, its Instakill-time for any hero she can get a hold of. Other heroes have abilites like dealing 4 DMG with one blow or attacking all zones around them.

I only did two games now but my feeling is, that all heroes are balanced when it comes to their counterpart. Since this game is basically a MOBA one should play it like that. Your oppents hero is hurting you? Gang up on him and send him your kind regards with your own Swashbuckler or Brute
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This.
There are any number of very strong abilities among the core characters. Not gonna lie, snapjaw *is* a powerhouse. But it's all about application of force. Keep your heroes spread out, so he can only get one, and then send him to the locker. That'll buy you 2 rounds without him pestering you.

Also, remember, it's really easy to win by (mostly) ignoring the other heroes and killing their objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck B
msg tools
To the OP. My group agrees with you, even though there are other heroes with very powerful skills, and even though there is a downside to having a large kraken pool, we feel that the Deep Fury skill is a bit of a negative play experience (NPE) for the opponent.

Our solution was to add a 2+ roll to the damage. Even though this means it still goes off most of the time, it doesn't make your opponent feel like there is nothing he can do about it, and there is still a small chance of failure.

But I know how most react to such house rules, so take it for what its worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.