Fred Jandt
msg tools
mbmb
The various discussions on 0 difficulty actions has got me thinking that planning for lowering the difficulty of any task (say using a flashlight to make it easier to investigate) is the better option when deck building than planning to pump up your investigator's skill.

The closer I get to a 0 difficulty on any action the less the tokens (all - tokens become as 0)affect the action.

It seems to me that building not to overcome the negatives provided by the tokens, but rather to negate as many tokens as possible is a sounder plan.

And I know that the tentacle is an auto-fail. But so is the elder sign is (usually) an auto-success. They offset each other already.+

Am I reading this incorrectly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds about right - all else being equal (and it never is) you're better off lower difficulty than raising ability. This is especially true in Standard+ difficulty and Scenarios with nasty -3 or more effects on Major Arcana (my tarot-derived term for any token without a number). Conversely, this is still true but not as important for Jim and Wendy and anyone else with a lot of token manipulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets say that difficulty is 4. And your skill is 3, so you Are minus 1 at this moment.

Option 1. You reduce the difficulty by 2. And draw token -2 = -1 so you fail but lucky would save you.
Option 2. You pump up the skill by 2 and draw token -2 = -1 so you fail but lucky would save you. So there is not difference.

Lets say that you used flashlight to reduce the test. You lose one token and 2 resources, a card and one turn to draw that card and one turn to play it and Also one hand capasity.

Is you used talent to do it, you lose one card, x resources or something else, maybe turn to draw it or exp. But not your hand capasity.

If you used skill card, you lose one or two card, one turn or two to draw that card, one to play it but maybe get a replasement card.

That is why I prefer pump and keep all possible two icons skill cards in the deck personally. And use hand capasity to pump skills with permanent upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the OP's point that Chaos Tokens can't reduce your skill below 0?

So if you can reduce your difficulty to zero, then since you're looking to equal or beat it, only the Tentacles (or a card effect) can affect your chance of success? Whereas pumping a 3 skill to 5 is no good if you draw a -6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal_pjv wrote:
Lets say that difficulty is 4. And your skill is 3, so you Are minus 1 at this moment.

Option 1. You reduce the difficulty by 2. And draw token -2 = -1 so you fail but lucky would save you.
Option 2. You pump up the skill by 2 and draw token -2 = -1 so you fail but lucky would save you. So there is not difference.

The difference (as Beloch points out) is that with a Difficulty of 2 and a Skill of 1, reducing the Difficulty by 2 can give you a success even if you draw a -4 or -6, which is possible at Standard+ or as a result of Major Arcana. In that example, Lucky! won't save you if you raise your Skill to 3 but draw a -6, but a Flashlight would do just fine. Your broader point about the synergy of Lucky! with bonuses, the advantages of Skill Cards, and the relative clunkiness of Flashlight are totally valid - that's why I prefaced my agreement with "all else being equal (and it never is)".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Jandt
msg tools
mbmb
Beloch wrote:
Is the OP's point that Chaos Tokens can't reduce your skill below 0?

Yep. That was my point.

It seems to make more sense to focus on that since you always have a downside of 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Other than Flashlights how are you lowering the difficulty?

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
As alluded to by Phoenix, it's perhaps a slightly redundant thing to compare (with the current card pool) since the 'reduce a difficulty value' effect is so uncommon (Flashlight and...?) and the 'increase your check value' effect/impact on the gamestate is so, so common (with nearly every single card allowing you to do so). I definitely agree though that being able to bring check targets down toward zero is much safer than raising skill values up to the check target. Like I can imagine a future suite of 'pseudo-skill cards' being introduced -- cards that lower a specified type of check target by 1 when committed (or some other gameverb-ed). It's hypothetical of course, but it raises the question: if you could include Overpower in your deck or a skill-type card that reduced an enemy's combat value by 1..? 2..? without Overpower's card draw, do you have an obvious preference there or is it actually an interesting choice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucky does not save you...
So the lucky is just as effective in both situation. The total to zero, is calculated after you use use lucky. The differen that you need to make it trough is the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.