Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to start by apologizing for the length of this post, it got away from me (usual). I posted here, because the story involves Too Many Bones. That said, I do hope that there are some that will find enjoyment in my sharing of a very recent experience with Chip Theory games and without further ado, proceed to the story below!

I was not sure if I should or would write this post. I guess part of me worries about some sort of backlash because I feel entirely undeserving. But the more I thought about it, the more I knew I had to make this post. Chip Theory Games did something far beyond anything I could have expected or anticipated and it felt right to recognize their effort. In honesty, I am still in the stage of trying to fathom the situation. They left me speechless, blown away, and/or whatever descriptor you can find for amazement, excitement, and wonder.

I know at this point, everyone must think that the Carlsons magically conjured up the cutest puppy in the world, just for me or that they might have solved the final mysteries of some unexplained and totally cool, sciency stuff. I am not going to confirm or deny any such things, but what I will say is that what they did was a little more grounded in reality; considerate and above and beyond, but grounded none the less.

The funny thing is, I had no idea that they had done anything until a number of hours after receiving what I now know was a gift. My morning was spent trying to figure out where a mysterious package came from. I had no idea and did not want to open it, in case I had to send it back. So I spent the afternoon checking my bank and credit card statements to see if I had accidentally ordered something or if I needed to cancel a card. Had I just opened it, I would have known instantly, but instead, I did not find out who this package was from and that it was indeed safe to open it until 11:30 PM. I opened the package to the sounds of a 2 year old cheering and at the same time telling me I was not opening it fast enough. This is what I saw after unboxing:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

The message I received, late in the evening, explaining my mysterious package, was from Josh Carlson. In the letter I was told that Josh, Adam and Ghillie try to keep an eye out for people they believe are positively affecting the CTG community in a number of different ways (constructive/respectful posts, tone and so on), on many different platforms (Facebook, BGG, Kickstarter, ect.) and not just for stuff involving their games. They then like to reward these people and this time they chose me to get this ridiculous rug!

In the end, I am humbled, very thankful, and to be honest, just a tad self-conscious about this post lol. It is not like I have been a long time CTG supporter. I discovered CTG with the Too Many Bones Kickstarter and was lucky enough to be given many opportunities to express my amazement with how this small company was handling its Kickstarter, was engaging its community, and visibly continued to bring a game to life that they were passionate about, without trying to cut corners. They even ended up giving all of us backers more than we were promised. That said, long before I received this gift, I was sold on CTG as a company I wanted to continue supporting. The world and this hobby needs more People and companies like this and that’s why I ultimately decided to write this. I knew if I did not, no one would ever know about this unexpected act of kindness and I really felt they deserved some credit. Thank you CTG, I hope I continue to deserve this gift (if I even do!) and Congratulations to anyone that might be lucky enough to find a gift at their door in the future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Love reading this stuff. Awesome job CTG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thats awesome Steve....I didn't realize you were in Phoenix!
we will have to get some CTG game plays in! I am in Phx too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
President Nugget
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Where gravity is low, rare minerals abound.
mbmbmbmbmb
No kidding, congratulations to you and a well-deserved tip of the hat to the folks at Chip Theory Games! meeple

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I assume you are the Steve who was so vocal in calling for a doormat? What a loving design-- a tribute to the hobby and to your humor!

The backer numbers don't go up to 3141, so I'm wondering whether there's some significance there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim "Dad vs Daughter" Bresnan
United States
Decatur
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It all starts at the top. The people at CTG are very kind and generous not only with doing what they did for you, but how they treat and talk to others. They will be around for some time and I have no doubt will stay true to their roots.

Huzzah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen vdHorst
Netherlands
Gelderland
flag msg tools
Thanks Steven for this beautiful 'pay it forward' story.
And what a great personal lyrics on the Doorway to Untold Mysteries.
I hope that we can enjoy the treasures of CTG for a long time in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Robinson
United Kingdom
SLOUGH
ENGLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven mate that is both awesome and so well deserved! Keep up the good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Super cool Steven. Your post shows that the Carlsons and all of Chip Theory Games personnel have created a truly positive and tight knit community. My first reaction truly was feeling joy for you, followed by a small twinge of jealousy , then reconfirming this company truly is something different in the days of large profit faceless companies. Too Many Bones was the first Kickstarter I ever backed, and I was able to meet Adam at Gencon and some of the other staff. I fully plan on keeping my support for them going as the quality in everything from their game, to their communication to their passion is second to none.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I could not get back to this thread sooner. It seems my apprehension of sharing this was not needed and because of all the kind responses, I am very happy I did share. I just wanted to once again say thank you to CTG and even more so, thank you to everyone in this thread. I love that this community is so great! ....Now to go see how painful framing a 3ft by 5ft rug is going to be lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos D
Taiwan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fubarbox wrote:
Sorry I could not get back to this thread sooner. It seems my apprehension of sharing this was not needed and because of all the kind responses, I am very happy I did share. I just wanted to once again say thank you to CTG and even more so, thank you to everyone in this thread. I love that this community is so great! ....Now to go see how painful framing a 3ft by 5ft rug is going to be lol

Steven I have one complain about your post though ...
I was in the fence an backing the game during the KS campaign, then on Preorder#1 as shipping to Taiwan is steep. However, after reading your post it tipped me over the fence and I will go all in. This is the type of of company that I want to support and give my hard earn New Taiwanese Dollars
In all seriousness, what a great story and thank you for sharing it ... CTG you got yourselves another fan in me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dreher
United States
Saint Paul
MN
flag msg tools
mb
Brilliant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.