Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chainsaw Rabbit
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just finished our first game, Buffy and Giles versus The Master. We got The Master to reveal himself, and took out one of his plot cards, but were just overrun by vampires and demons and couldn't get the cards together to stop them.

We did, however, trip across a few rules questions I couldn't answer after perusing the rulebook.

1) Trading. The rulebook doesn't mention it, so normally I would assume that characters can't trade items (unusual for a coop game, but Elder Sign doesn't allow trading either, so not unheard of). However, the Glove of Myhnegon Artifact specifies that "this Item cannot be traded." Does that only mean that it can't be discarded to make room for another card, or, after three readings, did I miss the rules on trading Items and Artifacts between characters?

2) The Big Bad's Special (Event Draw) Effect. Does this take place every turn, before the Monster of the Week and normal Baddies activate, from the first turn onward? Or, does it only start activating once the Big Bad is revealed and placed on the board? It seems like a constant effect throughout the game, representing the Big Bad's influence on Sunnydale even before their nefarious plot picks up steam.

(Another question involved running out of Vampire tokens [so... many...], but was answered in another thread.)

Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Top of Page 11:

Quote:
Trading Item or Artifact Cards between Characters in the same Location, giving Item Cards to Characters in your Location, and discarding certain Item Cards*, are Free Actions that do not require a player to flip one of their Action Tokens.

2) Middle of Page 15 (Bold Mine):

Quote:
Whenever an Event Card is resolved, if the Big Bad has revealed itself, compare the Glyphs on the Big Band's Board under the "Special" section. Then, resolve the effect indicated by the Glyph that matches the Event Card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chainsaw Rabbit
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thank you for taking the time to answer.

It was pretty late when we finished the game, so I guess I overlooked them. Again.

That makes me wonder why the rulebook calls out The Big Bad as activating during the monster activation phase. Do they move about and kill Townies like any other Baddie or Monster of the Week?

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bads do have things they do on activation (Master has vampire spawning I think?), but they don't move unless the card specifically says so (and obviously only if revealed as otherwise there's not yet a standee).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty C
msg tools
chainsawrabbit wrote:
That makes me wonder why the rulebook calls out The Big Bad as activating during the monster activation phase.

Big Bads activate in two possible ways. First, their plots can have effects that activate at the start of monster activation. Second, they add 1 wound to the tracker for every character that is in the same location as them during monster activation.

Big Bads don't normally move, and they don't normally attack townies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.