Hide
19 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: New expansions ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
christian gustad
msg tools
Does anyone know if there are more expansions planned for this game?
Can't get enough...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erawen Lowhunger
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New expansions
This ain't news and with a ? in the question people would no that this is a question and no news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maartend wrote:
This ain't news and with a ? in the question people would no that this is a question and no news.

This

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
we are very unlikely to see another expansion for Mage Knight. They have released a Star Trek version of the game: Star Trek: Frontiers. If anything gets an expansion it would likely be that version of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from News to General.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add a question mark to your subject, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeuscat wrote:
we are very unlikely to see another expansion for Mage Knight. They have released a Star Trek version of the game: Star Trek: Frontiers. If anything gets an expansion it would likely be that version of the game.
While unlikely, I'd very much like to see another expansion for Mage Knight. There's room for at least one more hero to 'complete' the game (ideally a dwarf!).
One or two additional factions in the style of 'Shades of Tezla' would also be very welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeuscat wrote:

Why "unlikely"?

--Mage Knight is the 13th-highest-rated game on BGG, the highest-rated game WizKids has.

--There's over 17,000 players who've rated it on BGG, so WizKids has probably sold well over 20,000 copies of the game.

Why wouldn't they make more expansions? (And if anything, the re-theming of MK as Star Trek should increase the exposure of the game, not lessen it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash62bill wrote:

Why "unlikely"?

While I don't necessarily agree it's unlikely, nor that the presence of a Star Trek version means the MK version goes away (there's dozens of Munchkins, they still make content for the original), it's worth noting that sometimes games cap out. The designer/developer may feel that it has enough mechanics and does need more. Or that shoehorning in more content would take the game away from its original intent. Sometimes they just want to move on. Expansions also never sell as well as a base game so success in the base does not guarantee success for an expansion. It may not be worth the cost to develop and print an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
While I don't necessarily agree it's unlikely, nor that the presence of a Star Trek version means the MK version goes away (there's dozens of Munchkins, they still make content for the original), it's worth noting that sometimes games cap out. The designer/developer may feel that it has enough mechanics and does need more. Or that shoehorning in more content would take the game away from its original intent. Sometimes they just want to move on. Expansions also never sell as well as a base game so success in the base does not guarantee success for an expansion. It may not be worth the cost to develop and print an expansion.

Burn him, burn him! An anti-capitalist!

-----------

Personally, I think the game could use a few more Spell cards. And a few more Mage Tower Enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Smash62bill wrote:

Why "unlikely"?

And if I recall correctly the game designer did not produce the last expansion, but he did review it. I was under the impression he has moved on and will not be making anything new for Mage Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeuscat wrote:
And if I recall correctly the game designer did not produce the last expansion, but he did review it. I was under the impression he has moved on and will not be making anything new for Mage Knight.
Do you know if he was involved in developing the Star Trek re-theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeuscat wrote:
I was under the impression he has moved on and will not be making anything new for Mage Knight.

So goes the rumor, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried pretty hard to get Vlaada to answer one of the few remaining unclear rules questions for Mage Knight, and I couldn't get any response. This leads me to think he's cut his attention to the game to zero, although of course it might just be me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max M.
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I tried pretty hard to get Vlaada to answer one of the few remaining unclear rules questions for Mage Knight, and I couldn't get any response. This leads me to think he's cut his attention to the game to zero, although of course it might just be me.

Which were those rules you talk about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manadrainer wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Asking whether in certain cases (involving Summon Attack, Arcane Immunity, and/or Multiple Attacks) the Illusionists or Banner of Fear can or can't prevent or cancel some or all attacks of an enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dzyhanas S.
Turkey
flag msg tools
I hope, I want. And I believe nearly half of the people who bought the base game want and buy the expansion too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Paroni
United States
California
flag msg tools
Seems to me it's left unfinished. We still need the remaining "powered up" versions for the 2nd copies of Rage and Swiftness. Man oh man I hope they get around to it someday soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
manadrainer wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
Asking whether in certain cases (involving Summon Attack, Arcane Immunity, and/or Multiple Attacks) the Illusionists or Banner of Fear can or can't prevent or cancel some or all attacks of an enemy.
Here are my thoughts on these questions:

Banner of Fear
Q1: Can a Unit with this Banner prevent a monster summons by an Enemy with the Summon Attack ability?
A1: Yes (Lost Legion p. 5 defines the Summon Attack as a "type of attack").

Q2: Can a Unit with this Banner prevent an attack by an Enemy with Arcane Immunity?
A2: No, per the LL rulebook p. 6: the attack of a unit with Arcane Immunity cannot be prevented--an attack can be diminished, not prevented.

Q3: Can a Unit with this Banner prevent all of the Attacks by an Enemy with Multiple Attacks?
A3: No--only one of its attacks (I read the text as saying "one attack of one Enemy").

Illusionists
Q4: Can this Unit prevent all Attacks of an Enemy with Summon Attack ability?
A4: Yes--no Enemies will be Summoned (Lost Legion p. 5 defines the Summon Attack as a "type of attack").

Q5: Can this Unit prevent all Attacks of an Enemy with Arcane Immunity?
A5: No, because this effect of the Illusionists is tied to White Mana, so it's a magical effect (and Lost Legion p. 6 says of Arcane Immunity that it will "ignore any effects that ... prevent it from attacking").

Q6: Can this Unit prevent all Attacks of an Enemy with Multiple Attacks?
A6: Yes (just reading the Unit effect it says that "enemy does not attack this combat").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.