Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive me if this has been discussed before. I did some searches both in the forums and through Google and didn't find anything.

My wife and I have been playing Imperial Assault on and off. We first tried Redjak's AI, but didn't like how some early missions went with it (imperials abandoning defensive targets to attack the heroes).

Now we've been playing with she and I splitting the heroes between us, and me also running the Imperials, trying to make the decisions I think they would make to damage us the most.

In both cases, we've played with 4 heroes, 2 each, because I know from multiple reviews and forums that the game doesn't have good balance with fewer heroes.

But I would love to have her control just 2 heroes (she can handle that pretty easily), and me just play the imperials. Hence this variant discussion.

If I understand the 2-hero discussions I've read, it seems the main criticism is in movement. Heroes can rush way past their imperial opponents, because they can move up to 4 times in a single turn. This totally unbalances any race-type mission, which makes up a lot of the base campaign.

So what if legendary heroes were limited to only one movement action per activation. They'd still be a bit more mobile than heroes in a 4-player game (they can move 2 extra spaces twice instead of once), but it would bring them more in-line with 4-hero game movement.

Would this be enough to at least make legendary somewhat playable?

Thanks for your thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play skirmish.

BOOM. SOLVED.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualToast wrote:
Play skirmish.

BOOM. SOLVED.

Lol. We do, quite a bit. But I bought all these campaign expansions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea in general, but am curious to hear the experts' opinions. Having run two campaigns against Legendary heroes, I can't think of other major issues aside from the double-movement problem...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bowman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Huh. I've played just a few missions but haven't encountered this problem yet. Most of the missions are essentially a race but my Rebels players tend to get very sidetracked when Imperial figures show up. They hate running away, so they ignore mission objectives to finish of a squad of Stormtroopers.

That does seem like it gives the Rebels a significant advantage but I haven't found it difficult to prevent/discourage my Rebels from taking two moves on their activations. In every mission I've played, the Empire's only real goal is to run out the clock so using my figures to block the Rebels in and otherwise bog them down (while ineffective as a victory strategy) has made double-moving essentially inviable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in a group of 3 that plays and we played the whole campaign. I was the Imperial group and they each played 1 character. The game scaled well for just 2 characters. While they could activate twice a round, they also had fewer targets for me to hit. I would attempt to use up their resources (strain, hp, equipment, etc) during their first activation while trapping at the most vulnerable. On their 2nd activation they were (hopefully, if I had strategized correctly) forced to either split their forces or attempt some form of rescue. The biggest hurdle I faced against 2 characters was the extra HP for each. When the Imperial win condition was to wound all heroes, the extra HP made it MUCH harder to flip their card. But the Imperials won the overall campaign and I won around 40% of the missions played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noa

Oregon
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great idea. I think if you also impose a limit of one Rest action per activation, you will have probably fixed 2-hero campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I plan to test this out when we start a Return to Hoth campaign in the next few weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
My wife and I plan to test this out when we start a Return to Hoth campaign in the next few weeks.

Let me know how it goes! We're heavy into Arkham LCG at the moment, and Gloomhaven, so haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TVboycanti wrote:
This is a great idea. I think if you also impose a limit of one Rest action per activation, you will have probably fixed 2-hero campaign.

That sounds like a good addition. Takes away the double rest, remove all accumulated damage issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not totally sold that the double rest is a problem, since health scales pretty well with two heroes. See, one hero doing two double moves covers far more map than two heroes doing one double move each. One hero doing two double rests, though, removes the same number of damage as two heroes doing one double rest each. The Empire still has to do the same amount of damage (or even slightly less, since +10 health is sometimes less than the hero's base health).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
I'm not totally sold that the double rest is a problem, since health scales pretty well with two heroes. See, one hero doing two double moves covers far more map than two heroes doing one double move each. One hero doing two double rests, though, removes the same number of damage as two heroes doing one double rest each. The Empire still has to do the same amount of damage (or even slightly less, since +10 health is sometimes less than the hero's base health).

Nicely explained!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play two heroes a lot... and this is a bad idea, really. Sure, you get 4 moves but that is the same amount you would get when playing 4 heroes, with the imperial player getting the same amount of actions to counteract them. There are missions when moving 4x with 1 hero is better than moving 2x with 2 heroes, true, but there are more missions when the second option is better as you have to do many things in different places on the map, spreading out is more effective than running from one place to another. Also the imperial player has an easier job of blocking the movement with just 2 heroes. All in all I am afraid this variant will make the game more difficult for the heroes without a real necessity to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.