Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the chance to play Cloud 9 last night but the host used pieces from Celestia, I don't know he modified it but he said basically we used Cloud 9 rules and mock-up of the original Cloud 9 board but used the components from Celestia.

After playing Cloud 9 and liking it the host then explained to me how Celestia works.....he made it sound not very good. My question was what if I had never played Cloud 9 before and had just played Celestia? Would I like Celestia? he said no, probably not because of the randomness of the level cards and the "take that" aspect added in.

What do YOU think about the differences between the two games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and it really depends on who I'm teaching the game to.

If they are newbies, Cloud 9 is the better choice. Simpler rule set and no trying to figure out what the special cards do or when you can play them.

If the group is more experienced we play Celestia. Not sure I would call it more random but I can see where someone would think that. I think there is more strategy involved on jumping out early and trying to win that way whereas in Cloud 9, the player(s) who make it to end (25 points) one time during the game are often the winner.

Cloud 9 can be hard to find - you can always play Celestia with Cloud 9 rules (take out the special/take that cards).

You then have the option of playing it on easy mode, so to speak or as intended, if you had players who don't mind a little take that. (I don't think the take that is that bad in this game, I just don't like the symbology that is confusing to new players and not knowing when they can play certain cards).

For sure print out the player aids from the BGG files so each player can have one in front of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find the Cloud 9 rules on this page's files.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own a copy of Cloud 9 but have played many times. It is probably my favorite filler game. I recently bought and played Celestia. I think that Celestia is a fun game in its own right and well worth buying and playing, but of the two I much prefer Cloud 9. Cloud 9 takes about 30 seconds to explain and the gameplay is just pure simple fun without any frills. Celestia attempts to add some extra layers, such as special equipment cards, having locations be worth a range of possible points instead of a fixed amount, and having an unequal distribution of movement cards. In some ways these changes make the game more "interesting", but they also lead to constantly checking the rulebook as players try to remind themselves which card does what and what the card distribution is. It has also score being kept on stacks of cards in front of each player instead of a score track, so it is much harder to tell how many points your opponents have. The changes really take away from the simple hilarity that made Cloud 9 so great in my opinion.

You can basically play Cloud 9 with the Celestia components, but unfortunately in Cloud 9 there were 18 of each color movement card and 4 wilds, whereas in Celestia the movement cards come in counts if 20, 18, 16, and 14 with 8 wilds. So unfortunately you can't precisely recreate the card deck, though you can come close enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.