14 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Scythe Factory: A review of an organizer insert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deane Gainey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello. After buying a Collector's Edition of Scythe from the bggmarket, I decided to go ahead and splurge on an insert.

I chose Scythe Factory, because in my opinion it looks the coolest. I want to review my entire experience with them.
Edit: Scythe Factory is made by Meeple Realty.

Shipping was a bit expensive but the set of parts did show up before too long.

You receive several flatpack sheets of diecut, punch-out wood and instructions.

You are not told on the website that you need more than a hobby hammer... but you definitely do. It is useful to not only have a lightweight scratchproof hammer, to assemble some very tricky parts, but also some type of wood glue or permanent cement or superglue. Sandpaper can also be useful in smoothing out the touch edges on the set.

To assemble my set, rather than purchase a cheap jewelry hammer, I instead bought a lightweight set of nesting tools and glued a felt dot on the end of the hammer to make a scratchless jeweler's hammer. It is a bit DIY, but the quality is reasonnable, the tool handles double as sanding surfaces, and the nested screwdrivers are good for scraping any excess glue away from the project. In my opinion, buying it was a stroke of genius,

I also chose to use a tube of industrial strength bonding agent I had lying around. Since it was far too much to dispense on such tiny wood pieces, I took Q-tips and pulled the fuzz off one end and used the small dowel to apply the cement, This also worked well but was incessantly messy. I tried to keep it all on a piece of cardboard and it still made a big mess, but it could have been worse.

I sanded down the edges of my wood components with my tool handles, but eventually I will want real sandpaper to smooth the holders.

My flatpack shipped with 2 damages in the wood.

The first was to the piece border on the Gate part, so there was no damage to an actual used piece. But, unfortunately, one was rather important. One of the "bones" from Page 5, Part F was snapped apart. There is a spare of certain parts in the box, but those are relegated for people who do not follow directions very well, and shipping/packing damage is unaccounted for, and it seems the very thin "bones" are at risk of frequent breaking.

Fortunately these were meant to be glued together and then capped by other wood. With some careful woodwork you can hardly see the break now. I would rather glue one little broken piece of wood than have them ship me a new set, but if something important were to break, such as the lift gate on pg. 8.A, or the Figure holder on pg5.D, the whole set would be a waste.

You get a sense that the assembly process is very much part of the challenge. The single wood pieces are fragile. A careless step, a hammer tap too far, and there goes quite a bit of money. I would not trust this to anyone who has not either done hobbywork like this before (it was my first time) who is under the age of 16. (I am 34 and I barely managed.)

For the most part the set is rather sturdy and easy to use when assembled right, But if you slap it together, I doubt your result will be of much quality.

The gate and gear section in particular is awesome, but also a little gentle. If you lift the set by the mech gate it will surely break, so keep children away from it.

The parts that hold the mechs and heroes are super cool. The heroes only fit in certain ways, though. And the grip is actually just a little tight, I was worried my miniatures would get bent up. You certainly don't want to pull them free by the gun.

The burnishing on my set was a little blurry at just one part, but mostly it looks very good, the setup is quite handsome.

Since I just finished the set last night,I will provide data on its longevity over time.

Feb.14 Update:
Today I sleeved my cards. The Mayday Games Premium 125% Thicker sleeves work for everything but 70x110mm cards, which are too wide to seat comfortably and too numerous to fit in the deck slot when sleeved in the thicker sleeves. It packs in tightly enough to bend the cards.

Mayfair standard thickness sleeves for 70x110 fit perfectly. To avoid frustrations, you can get the thicker kind for all but 70x110 but get the normal size for 70x110. The difference is tiny and yet it completely matters.

Now I will (try to) provide some pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deane Gainey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Uh. If I can figure out how.

Newbie alert! Help me someone, how can I upload a gallery of pictures from the construction project?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You listed the name of the insert, but you might also list the company that makes the insert. Does no good to review a homemade one off insert which this could be without a company name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
godzilla999666 wrote:
You listed the name of the insert, but you might also list the company that makes the insert. Does no good to review a homemade one off insert which this could be without a company name.

Scythe Factory insert is from Meeple Realty: http://www.meeplerealty.com/store/p81/Scythe_Factory_%28Comp...™%29.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bridges
United States
Los Altos
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Silverbel wrote:

Newbie alert! Help me someone, how can I upload a gallery of pictures from the construction project?

Click on My Geek and then Gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deane Gainey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tgbruiser wrote:
Silverbel wrote:

Click on My Geek and then Gallery.

Okay, thanks. I have the pictures uploading. How do I attach several?
mm, I think I got it. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm my experience the reason you need wood glue is because you sanded the edges. I've never needed anything but a hobby hammer for any of these except the Blood Rage organizer from Broken Token which was simply designed with tolerances too loose. Ymmv.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like this setup. There are a few other Scythe organizers out there but I liked the way that this one organized the pieces. It was no small feat to put it together but I've been very impressed with how elaborate that the Meeple Realty inserts are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deane Gainey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:
I'm my experience the reason you need wood glue is because you sanded the edges. I've never needed anything but a hobby hammer for any of these except the Blood Rage organizer from Broken Token which was simply designed with tolerances too loose. Ymmv.

Without glue there was no chance of the gear-based gate holding together. It was falling apart every time it was slightly moved, until it was glued and allowed to dry. Then it was fine.

The directions did advise glue and sandpaper as recommended equipment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Penny
Australia
Greenslopes
Queensland
flag msg tools
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I bought this one. Assembled it. Tried to put my painted and based minis into where they go and immediately regretted my purchase.

Beautiful insert but it's just way to damn over-engineered and the whole reason I bought it was to not only make my game set up quicker and easier but also to protect my purchase and man hours spent painting.

This insert was originally the go because I didn't want the box lid lift that came with the Broken token one when you have the add on board extension.

I went ahead and purchased the Broken Token insert and am much, much happier with it.

TLDR, buy the Broken Token insert if you paint your minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Maxwell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CowStriker wrote:
Tried to put my painted and based minis into where they go and immediately regretted my purchase.

So, why is the "painted minis" so bad in the Scythe Factory insert? Is it only because you put stuff on the base? I'm not understanding why this was so bad for you after painting the minis...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deane Gainey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Today I sleeved my cards. The Mayday Games Premium 125% Thicker sleeves work for everything but 70x110mm cards, which are too wide to seat comfortably and too numerous to fit in the deck slot when sleeved in the thicker sleeves. It packs in tightly enough to bend the cards.

Mayfair standard thickness sleeves for 70x110 fit perfectly. To avoid frustrations, you can get the thicker kind for all but 70x110 but get the normal size for 70x110. The difference is tiny and yet it completely matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Huff

Washington
msg tools
mb
"Painted Meeple gave a workaround for the painted mini problem here: It seems like his solution will work fine though I haven't tried it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanted to +1 the point that the 70x110mm cards need to be in non-premium sleeves.

After 3-4 hours of building mine, it's been the only let down (well, and the cog opening mechanism doesn't work that well, but that's nothing I was expecting to work 100% anyway !)

Otherwise it's a really nice insert. Buggered if I know what I'll do when the next expansion comes out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.