3 Posts

Secret Hitler» Forums » Rules

Subject: Special Election Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Cooknell
England
flag msg tools
When a Special Election is held then if the chosen president's choice of chancellor is defeated in the election, am I right in thinking that the special election is over and play resumes as normal with the president passing to the player on the left of the previously elected president?

The rules don't really make it clear what should happen in this scenario - ie should the presidency keep passing round until a special election government has been chosen.

I think the presidency should pass immediately once the first choice president has been defeated otherwise there is surely no advantage to the outgoing president in selecting the Special Election president.

Anyone know what the definitive ruling is?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game yet, but I think you are correct in your first assessment of the rules. The presidency would resume by passing to the next person on the left of the previously elected President (the one who called the Special Election).

So yeah, if the candidates in the Special Election get voted down, then that action is over and play just resumes where it was before the Special Election was called.

The advantage to calling a Special Election (and hoping it passes) is that for either side it gives the team a chance to sneak one extra President/Chancellor combo into play. If you're a Facist and you know that the next three people in line are Liberals, it helps your team to skip them and give the Presidency to another Facist (obviously). The Special Election may not pass, but if there's enough confusion it could very well pass and help your team out before play continues again with those three Liberals in a row. You just never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moldovangerbil wrote:
When a Special Election is held then if the chosen president's choice of chancellor is defeated in the election, am I right in thinking that the special election is over and play resumes as normal with the president passing to the player on the left of the previously elected president?

That actually happens whether the special election President is elected or not. The Presidency always goes back to where it would go in the normal rotation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.