Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that this session report is an excerpt from an ongoing 8player tournament, played out over a total of 22 different games. For more sessions like this please check out the tournament geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/221444/item/5217132#item5...

Scythe

During the early stages of the war the Saxony general, Agner, decided to go explore his home peninsular. This quickly proved to be most beneficial as he came across an inventor. Agner then proceeded to force the poor man to build a mill for the Saxony empire, thereby kickstarting their economy.
The viking workers of Jeppe-J went skinny-dipping across the North, collecting a variety of resources. With a special interest in oil Jeppe-J began the war focusing on upgrades, delaying the deployment of mechs for the time being.
To nobodies surprise, Sandahl and his Rusviets, decided to storm the factory early grabbing one of the coveted factory upgrades.
Math decided to keep his workforce lean and mean, instead commanding his Crimean people to produce tons of food and Iron, allowing him to begin enlisting and deploying.

By the end of these opening stages of the war Agner was producing mechs at an alarming rate, thanks to his newly built mill (and the "Industrial" player-mat). With the help of the now speedy and under-passing Saxony mechs, Agner quickly claimed the first star of the game (through a "three village" objective) Upon gaining a factory card, Sandahl proceeded to venture through Europe in search of bountiful encounter. This left the factory wide open allowing Agner to cease it, claiming his second objective in the process.

mid-game position

At this point Math's coin generation was starting to ramp up and he was in possession of a significant amount of military power. As is so often the case (see contestant description) Math felt compelled by the prospects of the dramatic. With no regard for the consequences of his actions, he assaulted the factory from the south, and proceeded to spend all 7(!) of his military points in order to send Agner packing. Unfortunately he left himself completely open to counter attack, so Agner reclaimed the center with little to no effort on the following turn.
The army of Jeppe-J was slowly making its way southwards claiming an objective a long the way.

.... and then it was over! Just like that! Just as peoples engines were about to start clicking. On a single turn, Agner produced his 6th worker and deployed his 4th mech, meaning he only needed a single star to end the game. Despite having very close to no power he was sitting on 4 mechs and a 4 combat cards. As nobody was able to get far enough away to escaped battle it was very clear that this was the last round. Scrambling to increase scores Jeppe-J, Math and Sandahl all decided to spread out as much as possible. And that was it. First turn of round 13 (!!!!) and the war came to a close.

Board-state following the surprise ending by Agner

Final scores:
Agner: 50
Math: 33
Sandahl: 32
Jeppe-J: 31

Following this abrupt finish all 4 players were left staring at the board in disbelief. Rarely have I witnessed such levels of disappointment during a gaming session. The overcommitment of Mister Math definitely contributed to speeding up the game but even without it the game would have lasted a maximum of two rounds more. Pretty sure that everybody found the game immensely gratifying to play but the ending was about as anticlimactic as it gets.
But lets congratulate Agner on a well played well executed game whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a crazy game and unexpected endings like this are great memories for the players.

Shuffle up the cards and play again!

Note: This is an efficiency game and the better you get at it, the shorter it gets. We played 4 times today with three players and finished in 4 hours total. Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we all really want to try it out again.
It was just really unfortunate to have such an "out of the blue" ending in everyones first game.
In hindsight, I have thought of some things my opponents could have done to slow me: I was constantly out of power but had enlisted the "upgrade" action. So I was able to scrape by because my neighbours always seemed to upgrade right before I wanted to produce.
But it is just so darn difficult to evaluate the consequences of such "minor" things during your first go at a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the title of this session report =8)

It also sounds rather familiar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.