Subject: Evade with non engaged enemies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Armstrong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question re: a number of cards in Wendy's deck. Some of them say that you can evade all (or some) enemies at her location. Does this mean that those enemies have to be engaged with Wendy or not? Can she evade enemies that are engaged with another investigator, causing them to become exhausted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The normal evade action requires you only use it on enemies engaged with you. However, there are some cards (for example "Cunning Distraction") which allow you to evade enemies that you are not engaged with. And yes, those enemies, if evaded, will disengage with whatever investigator they were engaged with (if any - depending if they have aloof or not) and will become exhausted.

This is a very powerful ability, hence the very high cost for Cunning Distraction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt that. There is "exhaust" and there is "evade". Cunning Distraction makes you evade the enemies, which implies you have to be engaged with them. If this was the way you explain it, it would use the word "exhaust".
You cannot evade an enemy you are not engaged with.
To evade an enemy that is engaged with someone else feels like to fire a person that is not your employee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
This was discussed here: "Automatically evade all enemies" (Cunning Distraction)

Using Cunning Distraction you can indeed evade enemies you are not engaged with, breaking the normal rule, since the card specifies 'all enemies at your location'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they explain these things in FAQ. It sounds like good old AGoT with all those "well explained" ridiculousness that led to restarting the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Mårtensson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card text should have been something more akin to: "All enemies at your location are automatically evaded". Implying it's not just you doing the the evading..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Have you looked up the cards on https://arkhamdb.com/search ?

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindre wrote:
The card text should have been something more akin to: "All enemies at your location are automatically evaded". Implying it's not just you doing the the evading..

Now that would work with me. Everybody will evade their own enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have red through the other thread, and i don't think it really came to any conclusion either.
On one hand, the price of the card and its flavour text imply it will exhaust all enemies in the location.
However the logic of the text doesn't.
I guess we need an official word on that, but i am getting convinced - mainly on basis of my ill AGoT experience - it shall exhaust all enemies in the location. The price is just to high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evade is thematic, but a misleading word for the effect - it would be more intuitive, especially for this kind of card, to call it "Stun". It's particularly counter-intuitive for people coming from other Arkham games, where Evade affects the Investigator, not a single Enemy.

Also note: Disengage does not automatically Exhaust, so (for example) the extra Enemies you get away from using Survival Instinct can immediately Engage with any other Investigator at your old Location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked Matt about this last week:

Matt Newman wrote:
Cards with a bold action designator perform the action designated as described in the rules, but modified in the manner described by the ability (see “Action Designators” under “Ability”, RR pg 3). Often times this means a bold action will be followed by rules that function differently from how the action normally works. For example, on Shriveling: “Fight. This attack uses Willpower instead of Combat.” Even though the rules say that one usually fights with their combat skill, this card modifies the action so that it uses willpower instead. Likewise, Cunning Distraction modifies the evade action such that it automatically evades all enemies at your location. This overrides the normal rules for evasion—you don’t need to be engaged with the evaded enemies, and indeed no specific enemy is chosen to be the target of the evasion, you simply evade all enemies at your location automatically. Because it has a bold Evade designator, it counts as evasion for the purposes of other cards and effects (for example, playing cunning distraction does not provoke attacks of opportunity).

I tend to think the card could have been a little better worded, but there it is from the designer anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
The way I came to peace with that card (and stray cat) was to - in my mind - treat all instances in abilities of non-action designator (non-bold) 'evade' as a shorthand keyword for "apply evasion to", where 'evasion' equates to exhaust and disengage.

I think such a substitution correctly covers all card text and makes the correct interpretation of the abilities on cunning distraction and stray cat much more intuitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes much more sense. The term "evade" is just unfortunate. "Kick in the bollocks" would certainly work better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeeshkul wrote:
That makes much more sense. The term "evade" is just unfortunate. "Kick in the bollocks" would certainly work better.

"Evade. Automatically rochambeau all enemies at your location."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Nefrubyr wrote:
yeeshkul wrote:

"Evade. Automatically rochambeau all enemies at your location."

I learned a new word today. Bravo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Willmott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I was thinking "Why would you play rock paper scissors to evade your enemies?"

Then I saw the alternative meaning!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes sense thematically that a large distraction would affect all enemies at a location. Normally I interpret evasion as "I can use my agility to dodge this enemy's attacks." In this case however, it's "the enemy is distracted by something else so doesn't attack." In the former case, it makes sense that I can only evade enemies that are attempting to attack me (are engaged with me.) In the latter, it makes sense that all local enemies are distracted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.