Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone. Have any of you that have played the game ever found yourselves creating ambiguity when it comes to enemy movement? Have you ever positioned your character in a space such that it creates an ambiguous move for the enemy thus giving the party control of where the enemy ends his movement? Just wondering if there's anything to this or if it can be a viable strategy in any circumstance.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinny
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game yet myself, but in other games like this with "AI" enemies what you described has typically always been a valid strategy. An enemy's difficulty is usually balanced with what you described in mind.

My two cents at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played through the first two scenarios but so far have not found this to be the case. We found that moving to maximize ability effectiveness (and avoiding getting surrounded for the weaker characters) was the driving factor. But it is early days still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's up to you really, consider it a difficulty setting.

When playing Descent with the road to Legend App, we always move the monsters in a way which most benefits us as we find the game plenty challenging as it is.

On the other hand you have games like Arkham Horror LCG which plainly state that whenever presented with a choice you should take the option that is most damaging to the players.

Bottom line, make it as easy or as challenging as you want. but don't spend 15 mins debating every ambiguous move. It'll kill the enjoyment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sydney Shuster
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really know what you mean. There is always a path for the enemy to choose and it's usually pretty easy to determine. If both characters are equally close for attack range, they go for the character with lower initiative. If there are two enemies that move differently depending on which moves first, you start with the elite enemy(or enemies) and then go in ascending order of their numbers. If the enemy can target multiple people, they will move into range of multiple people if possible. If they can only attack with range, they will move (if they can) to be within range but without disadvantage.

If you mean that you position yourself so that the AI will go for one character over another, that's good strategy and frequently used in the game. You can usually predict or change enemy movement with placements of traps, summons, and characters, but I don't think that it's ever been ambiguous for us.

Or am I misunderstanding you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
Danielpbarker wrote:
On the other hand you have games like Arkham Horror LCG which plainly state that whenever presented with a choice you should take the option that is most damaging to the players.

That is not what the Grim rule says. It is just there to speed up gameplay in case of rules disputes. Players are free to make tactical choices in their favor - for example they (typically) decide which investigator an enemy engages if a hunter enemy enters a location with more than one investigator. It doesn't have to be the one least equipped to handle it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sydust wrote:
I don't really know what you mean. There is always a path for the enemy to choose and it's usually pretty easy to determine. If both characters are equally close for attack range, they go for the character with lower initiative. If there are two enemies that move differently depending on which moves first, you start with the elite enemy(or enemies) and then go in ascending order of their numbers. If the enemy can target multiple people, they will move into range of multiple people if possible. If they can only attack with range, they will move (if they can) to be within range but without disadvantage.

If you mean that you position yourself so that the AI will go for one character over another, that's good strategy and frequently used in the game. You can usually predict or change enemy movement with placements of traps, summons, and characters, but I don't think that it's ever been ambiguous for us.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

There's a few situations where players can position there characters so that when the enemy moves, (for example towards you so that it can attack) it's ending hex can be one of two different hexes. They'd be equal distance and achieve the same result as far as the AI is concerned. This is ambiguity. I think you get that. Well, choosing which hex the enemy ends in gives the players a slight edge because they can position the enemy in the hex that they think is more advantageous to the party. My question was if anyone who has played this has found themselves acting in this way.

Thanks everyone for the input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.