Subject: 4 Viking Plundering variation idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy No
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played a few games now (5) and so far nobody has ever used the 4 viking plunder space (2 ships required, receive a silver hoard with no dice roll).

It just doesn't seem like a worthwhile action. Have you ever used it? It seems like later in the game (when you are likely to use the action) there are cheaper ways to get 12 blue squares covered (the 3 viking space to get two chests and two runes, uptrading cows, and even the normal pillaging spaces have a good chance of yielding the silver horde anyway).

I was thinking this space might be a bit underpowered, and I had an idea for a way it could be improved. If it were a raiding space (similar to the 2 and 3 viking spaces) but you are allowed to use two boats worth of ore, and you are allowed to split your roll across two items, I think it would be a worthwhile space to spend 4 vikings on.

Any other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should try it first... before trying your variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy No
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fair point, but the problem is I never want to use the spot, it didn't seem worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick ChemE
United States
Kalama
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played once so not sure if this was the spot in question, but it sounds like it.

I believe I used it two times in late game and ended up winning.

For what it's worth...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jezzza wrote:
I've played a few games now (5) and so far nobody has ever used the 4 viking plunder space (2 ships required, receive a silver hoard with no dice roll).

It just doesn't seem like a worthwhile action. Have you ever used it? It seems like later in the game (when you are likely to use the action) there are cheaper ways to get 12 blue squares covered (the 3 viking space to get two chests and two runes, uptrading cows, and even the normal pillaging spaces have a good chance of yielding the silver horde anyway).

Keep in mind the 3 Viking space for 2 chests and 2 runes requires 2 stone and 2 wood, upgrading cows costs you the victory points of the cow and each point it would give birth to, and normal pillaging without swords, stone and ore means rolling a 12 in three 3 tries.

So you give up other resources/points and time (if you consider competition for spots). And don't forget the fourth Viking spot allows you to play a card if it aided your strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy No
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dyepbr wrote:
jezzza wrote:

Keep in mind the 3 Viking space for 2 chests and 2 runes requires 2 stone and 2 wood, upgrading cows costs you the victory points of the cow and each point it would give birth to, and normal pillaging without swords, stone and ore means rolling a 12 in three 3 tries.

So you give up other resources/points and time (if you consider competition for spots). And don't forget the fourth Viking spot allows you to play a card if it aided your strategy.

This is a good argument. The card play does make it seem more attractive. I suppose the only other thing is getting the second raiding boat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jezzza wrote:
dyepbr wrote:
jezzza wrote:

This is a good argument. The card play does make it seem more attractive. I suppose the only other thing is getting the second raiding boat.

If you were going to end the game with at least 8 silver extra, the boat is more or less free! (8 silver -> 8 points for the boat)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, having no stone, no sword cards, and playing an occupation card certainly make this spot attractive. Especially if you are holding a juicy, yellow one-off or three-point occupation. Failing a raid at a crucial point in the game can be brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually one of my favorite endgame spots when I go heavy raiding. I wouldn't change it at all. It helps fill up the main board so quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.