Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Stet
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I just had a couple questions about the game.

From what I've seen it looks like the Brits go for the long shots while the Pirates like to keep it close. Is there anything else that makes the two factions distinct? Besides a third faction being more of a balance between the two, what other mechanics or variations for future factions could there be that would make them unique?

Are the skill cards unique for the two factions or do they have a lot of similarities?

As far as distinguishing the ships currently on the board, I saw a post on the kickstarter site that said people were using string or markers to mark which ship is which in the case of using two of the same kind (2 sloops for example). Is there any plan to include something in the game that would allow for this? Personally, I would be more interested if something came with the game vs just marking them up myself. Different colored flags that could attach to the ships with matching tokens of some sort on the ship card or something similar to how X-wing miniatures works by including the ship information on a small card on the base of each miniature (swappable) would be a great add.

How balanced is the combat as far as smaller ships vs larger? Can a sloop really take on a line-ship successfully? Would they typically have to go for a boarding-party attack strategy or could they hold their own by outmaneuvering the larger ship?

Sorry for so many questions at once, but it's difficult to sort through all the comments on kickstarter and I figured it would be worth sharing on BGG to help generate interest as well arrrharrrh

Looks like an interesting game, excited to see more!

Thanks!
~Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cross
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are really good questions and observations.
Disclaimer: I have not played the game and I am in no way involved with the creation or any other aspect of the game other than backing it on Kickstarter.

Quote:
From what I've seen it looks like the Brits go for the long shots while the Pirates like to keep it close. Is there anything else that makes the two factions distinct? Besides a third faction being more of a balance between the two, what other mechanics or variations for future factions could there be that would make them unique?

Your assessment of the two existing factions is correct. Right now there is a lot of speculation and ideas being thrown around on the comments section of the KS. Nothing has really been confirmed.

Quote:
Are the skill cards unique for the two factions or do they have a lot of similarities?

The two skill card decks do share some of the same cards, but also contain their own unique cards as well. I'm not sure of the breakdown of the cards. The only thing we do know is that there are two wind-direction change cards per deck. There is also talk of adding a "Winds of Fortune" deck at some point, probably as part of an expansion.

Quote:
As far as distinguishing the ships currently on the board, I saw a post on the kickstarter site that said people were using string or markers to mark which ship is which in the case of using two of the same kind (2 sloops for example). Is there any plan to include something in the game that would allow for this? Personally, I would be more interested if something came with the game vs just marking them up myself. Different colored flags that could attach to the ships with matching tokens of some sort on the ship card or something similar to how X-wing miniatures works by including the ship information on a small card on the base of each miniature (swappable) would be a great add.

Right now, as far as I know, there is no planned system for distinguishing ships from one another. Someone, maybe the creator, suggested just writing the initials of the ship on the base of the mini. I myself will attempt to paint the minis to roughly match the drawing on the ship card. I'm sure there are many creative ways to distinguish the ships from one another...

Quote:
How balanced is the combat as far as smaller ships vs larger? Can a sloop really take on a line-ship successfully? Would they typically have to go for a boarding-party attack strategy or could they hold their own by outmaneuvering the larger ship?

Again, since I've never actually played a single game of BvP, this is all speculation, but upon first glance, it looks like the lighter ships stand a chance against the heavier ships, even one-on-one. Just don't play a sloop like a ship-of-the-line.

Hopefully Apollo will chime in here with his thoughts and opinions or maybe one of the play testers. I really think this will be a great, fun game that will hit my table on a regular basis.

EDIT: Also, don't forget that Apollo is doing a live KS today at 10:00 am PST. He can answer all of your questions there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Weston
United States
SAN LUIS OBISPO
California
flag msg tools
@J Stet, Thank you for the questions. It John did a great job with answering these the best he could for not playing the game. As for me I've played the game, a lot... So here we go.

(From what I've seen it looks like the Brits go for the long shots while the Pirates like to keep it close. Is there anything else that makes the two factions distinct? Besides a third faction being more of a balance between the two, what other mechanics or variations for future factions could there be that would make them unique? )

Brits in generality:
Currently only faction with Line Ship
Ships are better at fighting at distant
Unique Skill Cards (more group skill cards)
Higher Crew Morale
Better at Repel

Pirate in generality:
Currently only faction with Zebec
Ships are better at fighting up close (scrappy)
Unique Skill Cards
Lower Crew Morale
Better at Grapple

(As far as distinguishing the ships currently on the board, I saw a post on the kickstarter site that said people were using string or markers to mark which ship is which in the case of using two of the same kind (2 sloops for example). Is there any plan to include something in the game that would allow for this? Personally, I would be more interested if something came with the game vs just marking them up myself. Different colored flags that could attach to the ships with matching tokens of some sort on the ship card or something similar to how X-wing miniatures works by including the ship information on a small card on the base of each miniature (swappable) would be a great add.)

This is a great question, when we've play tested large 6v6 games this never really was an issue and here is why. Players really pay attention to where their ship is in game. I have not once in my year of play testing have seen someone reach for their phone or get distracted enough to not know where their ship was. It is very engaging even when it is not your turn. With that said. Personal customization is the obvious go to. You can paint them, write initials on the base of the ship to match the card or do other fun stuff to make the ship unique. As for adding a sticker flag of some sort that sounds cool and a possible future installment in the expansion game to come. I hope that helped :-)

(How balanced is the combat as far as smaller ships vs larger? Can a sloop really take on a line-ship successfully? Would they typically have to go for a boarding-party attack strategy or could they hold their own by outmaneuvering the larger ship?)

I love this question because and I wish more people asked it. I have spent a LARGE amount of time in my life balancing this game engine. Lol A large amount.. Yes a Sloop can take on a Line Ship, in fact a Line Ship might be at as slight disadvantage if played poorly. Making different classes of ships and then balancing them requires clever game mechanics. I won't get into specifics but I created a spread sheet dedicated to this lol. Strategically, if I were sailing some Sloops and I was going up against much larger ships a good strategy is to work down their stern at point blank range or try to get as many boarding actions off as possible.

I hope this was helpful for you or others that read it, thanks again for the support and comment. Do check out our page when you get a chance and I'd love it to see you back this project. Thanks again J Stet!

-Apollo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Stet
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response Apollo!

One more question. In regards to the reinforcements on kickstarter, how much of that do you plan on making available at a later time? It seems that the Spanish faction could easily be its own expansion after the game goes live but what about the extra pirate/british ships? would those only be available through the kickstart campaign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Weston
United States
SAN LUIS OBISPO
California
flag msg tools
@J Stet, Thank you for the question my good man. For later time (next kickstarter) I am already in the early stages of developing a French and Buccaneer faction. With a possibility of reinforcements of other nations. This is the first of 3 planned Kickstarters that will add more factions and new end game mechanics but still leave the core game rules intact. So there will be variation on how to play. Thanks again for the support I am really excited to say we've reached our funding goal and climbing with 8 days left and stretch goals still to unlock!

Hoist the colors!

-Apollo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Maynard
msg tools
This may be a stupid question, but will any of this be available in stores (either brick and mortar or online)? I have not watched all of the live streams or read many of the comments on KS, so this question may have been answered there. Obviously, Volume One will be offered somewhere: either in stores or with the future KS. But will we be able to get the addons later, or will new players be able to get in (This seems like a REALLY dumb question, but I have not seen an answer anywhere!)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ji Atkinson
Australia
Waratah West
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey i cant answer about the game getting sold in stores, (i cant see why this wouldn't be the case)and i am assuming that it will be available online in the future

But Apollo has stated that the base game will be available with other kickstarter volumes that are coming in the near future
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Weston
United States
SAN LUIS OBISPO
California
flag msg tools
@Captain Maynard, I don't plan on doing retail, buuuuut I have a feeling it will end up there With that said, here are the channels you will be able to purchase Volume I and future expansions of British vs Pirates.

1) Future kickstarters
2) Our website
3) Possibly store

Thank you for the question mate, and thank you for the support Mr Atkinson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.