Subject: Hyped! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pup Selchen
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'll admit that this thread doesn't really have a purpose other than channelling my euphoria. So, sorry. But...man, I'm so hyped! This is awesome! laugh

Terra Mystica is my favorite game of them all, but it does come with some minor flaws. One of them imho is its scalability. With the modular board and the 2-player game only using 7 sectors, I can see this dealing nicely with this matter.

Also: 14 new races! Yay! I just love asymmetrically built games where you not only have to play your faction/race/party to its strengths but also need to adjust your strategy to any specific combination of factions that clash this time.

Maybe with a cooler head I could articulate more aspects but right now I just want to put my joy out there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just heard about this this morning, and I agree with everything you said. TM is my #1 game, so this news is exciting. I'm in the minority, though, in that the space theme is a negative for me. I prefer history and fantasy themes. I can't think of a single space-themed game in my collection. (I do enjoy Gravwell: Escape from the 9th Dimension, but don't own a copy.)

It's definitely high on my list of anticipated games to watch. Maybe this will be the first space game to earn a place on my shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bock
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am not unexcited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kovach
msg tools
Woohoo! I'm right there with ya
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seem 2017 will be the year of the Terra Mystica "rebirth"...

First there was Clans of Caledonia, a new economic game in a historical setting coming this year which is also based on Terra Mystica (but from another designer), and now this, a "sequel" from the original designers.

EDIT: I hope that they'll work a lot on the 2-player game to tweak it much more than the original. But already the scalable modular boards is a great improvement. I also hope this game to be a little bit more streamlined than the original, with less rules, but still great depth and strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 4 players max. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Koch
United States
Ellensburg
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
I am sure there will be an expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:

This is a good thing! So many times at a game meetup you sit down to play with 4 (the perfect number for TM) and a fifth person walks up and asks to join... gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's just hope the races are a little more balanced whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as they are directly talking about 2p modifications right off the bat, I hope with every fiber of my being that this will be amazing at 2. I am hype incarnate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1-4 players? That's surprising, but I don't mind in the slightest. 5 player TM tends to drag a bit, and if the 2 player game is improved, all the better. Also, I guess it's cool if there is a solo Option, though I'm not very interested in solo play if it's not Mage Knight.

I don't really care about the space theme, but as a Terra Mystica-spin off, this is of course an insta-buy. Soo, any playtesters in Berlin wanted? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick de Bretagne
France
Brittany
flag msg tools
mbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:

When I am still praying for a 6 players version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick de Bretagne
France
Brittany
flag msg tools
mbmb
grant5 wrote:
ZdadrDeM wrote:

This is a good thing! So many times at a game meetup you sit down to play with 4 (the perfect number for TM) and a fifth person walks up and asks to join... gulp

In my world, when we plan to play Terra Mystica, there is always a late player joining the table. It always ends up with Caverna or Dominant Species...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Tilith wrote:
In my world, when we plan to play Terra Mystica, there is always a late player joining the table. It always ends up with Caverna or Dominant Species...
You have my commiseration. soblue

Personally, I've taken the route of sending away a fifth player if we have four players for a FtF game of TM. Obviously you can only do this on a board gamer meeting and not if five people got together and one is just late.

FtF TM with five players is just too long, and AFAIK whistle Gaia Project games flow at about the same pace as TM games, i.e. a 5p game would take just as long - i.e. more likely 4h than less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
Our 5p TM games take 2 to 2.5 hours tops what are you doing that takes so long?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not like Terra Mystica but this does look interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris just said everything I wanted to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pup Selchen
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
I'm in the minority, though, in that the space theme is a negative for me. I prefer history and fantasy themes. I can't think of a single space-themed game in my collection. (I do enjoy Gravwell: Escape from the 9th Dimension, but don't own a copy.)

It's definitely high on my list of anticipated games to watch. Maybe this will be the first space game to earn a place on my shelves.

My girlfriend never liked space themed games. However, we both absolutely love Roll for the Galaxy and it really eased her into the theme. So maybe Gaia might become a nice entrance into an otherwise unknown universe for you.

However, I do appreciate that they re-theme the game. Otherwise it might have felt a bit too samey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Paul
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also don't like the space theme or sci-fi.
But, hey, this will be an absolut themeless dry eurogame - and this is a big compliment for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Xealous
Ireland
Killagrohan. Mallow
Co.Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Stella Cosmica", just saying, not exactly terra, or mystica. Long live Terra Mystica!

Note: I did not specifically respond to this thread to say I had no interest in this game or that I did not like Terra Mystica. Cos that ofc would be an entirely fruitless and senselessly negative waste of every bodies time. oh wait...internet. nvm, carry on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 love for Terra Sci-fi/Space theme...prefer it actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First thought: This sounds great, I'm really excited, and the changes to scalability (and board variability) sound really intriging.

Second thought: Will purchasing this relegate Terra Mystica to obsolescence in my collection?

... and I literally just picked up the Fire and Ice expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pup Selchen
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Second thought: Will purchasing this relegate Terra Mystica to obsolescence in my collection?

I would assume that the specific layout of TM's boards and your familiarity with it will always make for an experience that couldn't simply be copied and done better in another game. Just guessing, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pupselchen wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:

I would assume that the specific layout of TM's boards and your familiarity with it will always make for an experience that couldn't simply be copied and done better in another game. Just guessing, though.

Yeah, this is always a hyper subjective topic, but I'm not a literalist when it comes to comparisons like this. If the game scratches roughly the same itch, it'll be the one that gets the limited table time.

That said, what can you do?

I guess TM could always find a new home if it literally doesn't do anything better (and, to be fair, Spiel games take about 6 months to get across the pond, so I'll have many moons of play potential before facing this decision).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Woah.. wait a minute. Modular board? scales well with 2 players? Ok, now I'm interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.