Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Prototype [+] Customized [+] Kickstarter [+] [View All]
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been enjoying this new edition of Santorini, but it's not very travel/bar friendly. To address this, I just ordered some LEGO pieces to make a mini, spilled-drink-friendly Santorini.

...which got me thinking about just how tiny you could go. I nominate the following as an ultra micro santorini set:

As you can tell by the fact that it's only a render, I haven't tried it yet. But I think it should be mostly playable, and very pocketable. Goblets seemed reasonable as playing pieces, but flagpole sticks might be easier to remove from tight spots. The current flag stick is there to help with the placement of 1x1 bricks in difficult positions.

I am sorely tempted to try this... [EDIT:] I've ordered the pieces to try this (why not, right?). I'll let you know how it goes.

EDIT 2: Tried this out. Some photos and comments down the thread a ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL looks good mate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very interested in this. Post pictures and/or reports!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. S.
msg tools
Got a parts list for this? I'd be interested as well in how this turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bms72 wrote:
Got a parts list for this? I'd be interested as well in how this turns out.

Same here (with some feed-back on usability )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This made me realise that one could make a fully functioning version of santorini within minecraft.

I will be assigning this task to my children immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually going to get my cousin's children to set up Santorini in Minecraft so that I could show it to them. There wasn't enough time, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoosterJuice wrote:
This made me realise that one could make a fully functioning version of santorini within minecraft.

I will be assigning this task to my children immediately.

This would be a really fun way to play 4 player -- you have to stand where your builder would stand, and you might not be able to see the whole board from there, so communication with your partner would be tantamount.

If you use whole blocks, say white wool, for the buildings, then the 1-up, any-down restriction becomes entirely intuitive -- it's just simply how you can move in Minecraft.

[EDIT:] Yep, that could totally work:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And because I was having fun after re-installing Minecraft...

Incidentally, building this structure in Minecraft made me realize just what a silly place to live the original plastic pieces are. The second tier door goes out to a staircase that leads into a wall...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hughey
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not use micro or nanofigure instead of goblets?

http://thebrickblogger.com/2015/02/lego-microfigures-nanofig...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djfooboo wrote:
Why not use micro or nanofigure instead of goblets?

http://thebrickblogger.com/2015/02/lego-microfigures-nanofig...

...mostly because I couldn't figure out what they were called. modest I kept searching for "really tiny minifigures" or "mini minifigures" which understandably yielded no results.

In the end, I ordered flagsticks for the pawns instead. My thinking was that goblets (or microfigs) would be too hard to retrieve out from a hole, while sticks would stick up above the pieces enough to get them out. I might put some colored cones or microfigures on top of the sticks, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The pieces for my originally planned LEGO version still haven't arrived, but the pieces for my micro, "pocket" version came today.

I tried a game out, Atlas v Pan, and it's totally playable:

I didn't bother sourcing the letter/number tiles from the original design. Also, I changed the pawns from being goblets to being flag sticks, which was 100% the right choice from a playability perspective. The sticks are easy to move without disturbing the board even in tight spaces or when they're right next to each other. You could throw a microfigure or similar up on top of the sticks to give them a bit more personality.

The blue stick is for placing tower pieces in hard-to-reach spots. It works a treat.

Because the parts were all so cheap for this micro version, I threw in plenty of extra bricks and domes, plus some extra sticks, for any unusual gods or any lost pieces.

I picked up used pieces, which I actually like the aesthetic of -- some of the pieces are yellowed or off-white, which adds to the look of a tiny city.

The game is definitely ready to travel. Broken up in a baggie, it's about as bulky as Love Letter (in its cloth bag).

Parts list-wise, what I actually ordered was:

60 1x1 White Brick
3 1x1 White Tile w/ Groove
2 1x4 White Tile
1 6x6 Green Plate
20 1x1 Blue Plate, Round
1 1x4 Blue Antenna
4 1x4 Black Antenna
4 1x4 Gray Antenna
1 1x1 White Plate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vaterlaus
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
"JoJo left his home in Tucson, Arizona"
mbmbmbmbmb
just ordered mine to go with the full-size santorini I spent 2 hours playing with the kids. I got enough to build 2 so that two sets of kids could play at the same time. This would be a great idea for schools...

I did find some inconsistencies with the US lego site: no antennas (they were only the mini ones) so I had to search for "whip/ariel" instead. Also, they only had white, black, and grey, so that's what I got.

Other than that, I ordered 21 bases per level (two levels of white) and for the third level, I ordered a "round 1x1 brick" in white for the arches level. Just to see how it looked, I also ordered "technic brick 1x1" in white - it has a hole through it, so would be more like the arch level. We'll see if it is worth it to use either of those.

Other than that, I ordered what was stated above. The flat ones are called "plates" and I have 1 1x1 with a button on top for the non-player antenna. I have plain flat plates for the rest (1x4 and 1x1). The blue "domes" are 1x1 round plates.

The lego site is very obnoxious to use, so it isn't as user friendly as I'd like. However, the amount of pieces for 2 whole sets was $13.45 + shipping. So I'll get two for about $20. I'll do a small artscow bag for travel/storage and then have 2 sets for travel!

Thanks for the great idea!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bivaterl wrote:
Other than that, I ordered 21 bases per level (two levels of white) and for the third level, I ordered a "round 1x1 brick" in white for the arches level. Just to see how it looked, I also ordered "technic brick 1x1" in white - it has a hole through it, so would be more like the arch level. We'll see if it is worth it to use either of those.

It would be nice to have some pictures, if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vaterlaus
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll post pics as soon as the pieces come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Pinheiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
mb
Looks really good, I though about that too and to my surprise I found that you already done it But isn't a little to overcrowded when playing?

I was thinking in doing one a little bigger with a 16x16 baseplate and use 2x2 bricks instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archidelic wrote:
Looks really good, I though about that too and to my surprise I found that you already done it But isn't a little to overcrowded when playing?

I was thinking in doing one a little bigger with a 16x16 baseplate and use 2x2 bricks instead.

It's not too bad, actually. I also did a version with 16x16 and 2x2 bricks (see below), but I think I prefer playing on this micro version. There are a couple situations where things are a bit tight, but using the antennae does a lot to alleviate this -- you can pretty much always grab your worker without disturbing anything. Microfigs or similar would be too tiny, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Pinheiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
mb
UanarchyK wrote:
Archidelic wrote:

It's not too bad, actually. I also did a version with 16x16 and 2x2 bricks (see below), but I think I prefer playing on this micro version. There are a couple situations where things are a bit tight, but using the antennae does a lot to alleviate this -- you can pretty much always grab your worker without disturbing anything. Microfigs or similar would be too tiny, I think.

Lol, so nice, it looks cool!
Would love to build one for me with a 16x16, but the micro looks amazing for traveling(and I will need one in a couple of months), also If you have the real Santorini, 16x16 isn't that useful, I think.

I will try one with top cones and microfigs, to see how they work instead of antennas.

I'm still waiting for the real boardgame to arrive, but is there any power or rule that effect only specific levels? Would love to use 1x1 cylinder pieces for the third level, but can't find them in my usual seller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vaterlaus
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found them all online. Here is a copy of my order confirmation. It includes enough pieces for 2 micro sets. I also measured the dimensions of a small coin purse from ArtsCow and it should be big enough to hold. I'll see about designing a zip bag for these when they come and then I could have a pocket version for flights, etc.

ORDER DESCRIPTION

Description
Qty
Price

LEGO Factory PAB-online
Item: 11998
USD 0.00

PLATE 6X6
Item: 3958
USD 0.48

FLAT TILE 1X4
Item: 2431
USD 0.12

TECHNIC BRICK 1X1
Item: 6541
USD 0.07

ROUND BRICK 1X1
Item: 3062
USD 0.06

PLATE 1X1
Item: 3024
USD 0.06

WHIP/AERIAL
Item: 3957
USD 0.08

WHIP/AERIAL
USD 0.08

WHIP/AERIAL
USD 0.08

FLAT TILE 1X1
Item: 3070
USD 0.06

ROUND PLATE 1X1
Item: 6141
USD 0.06

BRICK 1X1
Item: 3005
USD 0.07

Sub Total USD 13.86
Shipping USD 5.38
Tax USD 2.02

Order Total USD 21.26
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Farmington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is awesome. The world would be a better place if you upload it here: https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/gallery.page

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vaterlaus
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take a look at it. Thanks

valzi wrote:
This is awesome. The world would be a better place if you upload it here: https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/gallery.page

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vaterlaus
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what you get if you purchase this set:

bivaterl wrote:
I found them all online. Here is a copy of my order confirmation. It includes enough pieces for 2 micro sets. I also measured the dimensions of a small coin purse from ArtsCow and it should be big enough to hold. I'll see about designing a zip bag for these when they come and then I could have a pocket version for flights, etc.

ORDER DESCRIPTION

Description
Qty
Price

LEGO Factory PAB-online
Item: 11998
USD 0.00

PLATE 6X6
Item: 3958
USD 0.48

FLAT TILE 1X4
Item: 2431
USD 0.12

TECHNIC BRICK 1X1
Item: 6541
USD 0.07

ROUND BRICK 1X1
Item: 3062
USD 0.06

PLATE 1X1
Item: 3024
USD 0.06

WHIP/AERIAL
USD 0.08

WHIP/AERIAL
USD 0.08

WHIP/AERIAL
USD 0.08

FLAT TILE 1X1
Item: 3070
USD 0.06

ROUND PLATE 1X1
Item: 6141
USD 0.06

BRICK 1X1
Item: 3005
USD 0.07

Sub Total USD 13.86
Shipping USD 5.38
Tax USD 2.02

Order Total USD 21.26
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vaterlaus
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archidelic wrote:
Would love to use 1x1 cylinder pieces for the third level, but can't find them in my usual seller.

I did that (see image in my reply in this thread) and found them online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Wizard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bivaterl wrote:

...for the third level, I ordered a "round 1x1 brick" in white for the arches level. Just to see how it looked, I also ordered "technic brick 1x1" in white - it has a hole through it, so would be more like the arch level. We'll see if it is worth it to use either of those.

... The flat ones are called "plates" and I have 1 1x1 with a button on top for the non-player antenna. I have plain flat plates for the rest (1x4 and 1x1). The blue "domes" are 1x1 round plates....

Now that you've received the parts, what do you think of the round 1x1 brick vs the technic 1x1? I think I prefer the look of the technic a bit. Any difference in playability?

Anything you'd change with the order if you were to do it again? I'd probably add more pieces in case some are lost, but your second set covers the bases.

Thanks to you and OP for sharing. It looks cool. I'm looking for a travel solution too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Nimocks
United States
Fayetteville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great set. Thanks for putting it together and sharing.

I wonder how heads would look on the WHIP/AERIAL piece. Horrifying maybe?

Too fiddly? Overwrought?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.