Recommend
249 
 Thumb up
 Hide
290 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Y.A.S.S (Yet Another Storage Solution) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Storage [+] gloomhaven [+] organized [+] storgage [+] Gloomhave [+] [View All]
Ryan H
United States
California
flag msg tools
A few people have messaged me asking for pictures showing how I've organized Gloomhaven. I think it's a great system: everything fits in the box, the important things are labelled and well separated, set up and tear down are quick, and implementing it doesn't consume a huge amount of time or money. I'm not usually the kind of person to spend a bunch of time organizing my games, but I think this is worth it so you can get Gloomhaven on the table more. Here is how you should organize it:

Materials Required

The 4 plano boxes I am using fit exactly in the space available, so I would recommend purchasing the same ones. If you have others, I've included the dimensions so you can check the space available.

1. 3x Plano 3600 boxes. Size 11" x 7.25" x 1.75".
2. 1x Plano 3601 box. Size 11" X 7.25" X 1.13".
3. Paper, tape, pencil or a label maker
4. Some zip-lock baggies. The small game-size ones are better, but I didn't have many so I used normal sandwich bags.

Organizing the Cards

OK, first off, unpack the huge monstrosity from the box. Put all the cardboard aside for now and organize the cards.

1. Separate road events 1-30 from the deck and put them in their own baggie. This should now store all of your 'active' road events, so during the game when you get new ones add it here. Put the remaining road events in another baggie.
2. As with the road events, separate city events 1-30 from the deck and put them in their own baggie. Put the remaining city events in another baggie.
3. Take out the starting item pool (I believe items 001 - 014) and place them in their own baggie. A small baggie would be nice here. Place the remaining items in another baggie.
4. Leave the player attack modifier cards in their baggie. Players will eventually save these in their character's envelope.
5. Make sure the random treasure cards and random scenario cards are in their own baggies. I forget if they came in one - if not, then put them in a new baggie.
6. Unpack the monster AI cards, battle goal cards, extra bless/curse/-1 decks, and monster attack modifier deck. Set these to the side for now (don't bag them).
7. OK these aren't really cards, but bag the pile of monster stat sheets. Also bag the monster stat sheet envelopes.

Overlay Tiles

Now it's time for the time-consuming stuff. First things first, focus on the overlay tiles. This will get you warmed up to punch out all of the monsters later. I put all of the overlay tiles in one 3600 plano box.

1. Punch out all of the overlay tiles and group them by type. Sometimes the double sided nature makes them hard to group, so just do something that is logical for you, or see my picture below for how I did it.
2. Get out one of your Plano 3600 boxes and start loading it up. Make a note of what type of tiles you are putting in each compartment. Thread with information on the overlay tile names is here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1720682/overlay-tile-names.
2a. I had to cut out one of the dividers to make the 3-hex overlay tiles fit (seen in my picture below). To do this I just used some household scissors and pliers. It was kind of annoying but wasn't too difficult and worked well. If you have better tools for the job it would be easier. You could also not do this and store them loose in a baggie, but then it's not as organized.
3. Get out a piece of paper and LABEL the compartments. This is crucial, or you're going to do all this work only to end up with a big jumble of components after your first scenario. Because everything is double sided it is particularly important to label everything. Also when setting up you're going to be doing 20 thousand different things and it's going to be so helpful to have it labeled.



Monster Standees

Now for the monsters and their cards. We are going to fit these in the remaining two Plano 3600 boxes.

1. Go back to that cardboard and punch out all of the monsters. Sort them by type. Bosses can go in one pile (if there is only one of them, it is probably a boss).
2. Put each monster type in its own compartment of a Plano 3600. The bosses can all go in one compartment. Note: The big dragon thing will not fit, so you will need to leave that lose in the box. I know, it pains me too, but it's OK. I would guess we only use that guy once so it won't be a big deal (I haven't seen him in play yet).
3. Put the stand clips in. You can put elite and normal clips in separate compartments.
4. You should fill one Plano box completely and be left over with a lot of extra room in the second. That's good, because now you can put monster ability cards there! Put in the monster ability cards. They need to lay at a slant to fit, so you can fit about ~6 monsters per compartment.
5. Now, fill the remaining compartments with the battle goal cards, the monster's attack modifier deck, and the bless/curse/-1 modifier cards. See my picture below for reference, as always.
6. Again, LABEL EVERYTHING. Label the monsters. Label which monster's ability cards are where. Label where the bless/curse/-1 cards are, because they look like every other modifier deck from the top and you'll forget. Labeling also means anyone can help you set up - even first time players. I just give someone the box and say "I need bandit guards, bandit archers, and living bones" and it's easy.

Monster Box 1 (Most of the standees):


Monster Box 2 (Remaining standees, clips, ability cards, monster modifier cards, battle goal cards, bless/curse/-1 modifier cards):


Status Tokens

Now, for the last Plano box, the 3601. We'll be putting everything that you frequently access during a scenario into this box. This one is shallower, which will make it much easier to grab things out during play. We just leave this open next to us for easy grabbing.

1. Punch out the remaining stuff, which should all be status tokens of various types. Group it by type, as always.
2. Put everything in the Plano 3601, with each thing separated into its own compartment. I tried to put frequently accessed stuff near the front for easier grabbing.
3. You'll be shocked, but I got lazy and didn't label this one! You probably should, but you also won't ever be fully removing anything from this box, so it's not totally necessary to label to maintain organization.

Status Tokens/in-scenario Box:


Fitting Everything in the Box

Now, for the moment you've all been waiting for (maybe). How the heck is all of this going to fit back in the box? Well, amazingly it does. I think they designed these Plano boxes specifically for the Gloomhaven box size.

1. Take out the insert and all that black foam. Throw it in the trash. The insert covers maybe 15% of the components of this game - sorry, but it doesn't quite cut it!
2. Take everything else out, including character envelopes and mini boxes.
3. If you missed anything, or if my directions didn't cover everything, this is the time to check. Make sure any loose stuff is bagged or sorted into an appropriate plano box.
4. Put the Plano boxes in standing upright on one side of the box. They should extend just about the width of the box and match the height almost exactly.
5. Next, put the character envelopes next to the Plano boxes.
6. Put the mini boxes next to the envelopes.
7. Now, fit all of the bagged cards and other small components in wherever you can. I slide the infusion cardboard in to the side of the plano boxes along with the small unlockable envelopes and the enhancement stickers. The cards you can fit in next to the mini boxes. You can find pretty stable locations for all of them so nothing is sliding around. The monster stat sheets and envelopes fit on top of the character envelopes.

First layer:


8. Now, put in the map tiles (punch those out if you haven't already). Small and skinny should go in first, as they can fit over the area with the mini boxes and cards. Next, put in the biggest rectangular tile to flatten things out. It should just barely fit between the planos and the edge of the box. Lastly, put the other ones in, trying to maximize fit and space. There's not really a secret sauce here, as there are so many oddly-shaped tiles, but try to maximize the space.

Second layer - map tiles added:


9. Now put the board in over the map tiles.
10. Put the sticker sheets over the board so they're somewhat flat.
11. Put the rules and scenario book over the sticker sheets.

Final layer - everything is in the box:


The box should almost close, but it won't quite get there. Still, not bad considering how easy your setup is going to be!


Hopefully this makes everyone's setup a little easier.

Edit:

Updates and Revisions

1. Paul (ryodoan) was nice enough to make a printable layout legend for the plano boxes. This should make the legend-creation steps a bit easier and will look better. Link here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/147058/yss-plano-3600-lay...

2. I've optimized the space a bit better. Now when I'm packing up I slide in the long-and-skinny terrain tiles next to the mini boxes, put the cards and everything on top of the mini boxes, and then put the rest of the terrain tiles on top. It is now veeery close to closing all the way. Not a big deal either way, but you can try messing with the packing procedure a bit to find a better fit.

3. Brandt (navybrandt) created a printable legend for the status tokens to complement Paul's legends for the other 3 planos. Link here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/155758/yss-plano-3601-lay...
277 
 Thumb up
283
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Phay
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done. I was wondering what it would look like with all of the storage containers in the core box. Now I know.

Ray
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing this! I've *gasp* never purchased plano boxes before. But for this game... I think I'm gonna have to break down and do it. When I searched for the ones you mentioned on Amazon, I wasn't certain I found the right ones. Could you please link to those specific products? Thank you!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I was at my table last night contemplating cutting the wall of my Plano 3600 to fit the slightly bigger overlay tiles. Looks like it worked well for you. I ended up using the GMT trays for the monsters which works great. Didn't even consider using a plano for the mini cards but it looks like they fit.

Thanks for giving me a couple more things to do tonight.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
Thanks for doing this! I've *gasp* never purchased plano boxes before. But for this game... I think I'm gonna have to break down and do it. When I searched for the ones you mentioned on Amazon, I wasn't certain I found the right ones. Could you please link to those specific products? Thank you!




https://www.amazon.com/Plano-23600-01-Stowaway-Adjustable-Di...

I bought these ad OP looks like the same. This was the first game I ever even thought about it and it made unboxing so easy.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful solution! Great work!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan H
United States
California
flag msg tools
Dynalange129 wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:
Thanks for doing this! I've *gasp* never purchased plano boxes before. But for this game... I think I'm gonna have to break down and do it. When I searched for the ones you mentioned on Amazon, I wasn't certain I found the right ones. Could you please link to those specific products? Thank you!




https://www.amazon.com/Plano-23600-01-Stowaway-Adjustable-Di...

I bought these ad OP looks like the same. This was the first game I ever even thought about it and it made unboxing so easy.


That is the exact Amazon listing I bought from for the 3600s, and for the 3601 I purchased two from this listing (I wanted an extra to see if I can do something about Commands and Colors: Ancients): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ECQPSO/ref=oh_aui_deta...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
RyanH wrote:
Dynalange129 wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:
Thanks for doing this! I've *gasp* never purchased plano boxes before. But for this game... I think I'm gonna have to break down and do it. When I searched for the ones you mentioned on Amazon, I wasn't certain I found the right ones. Could you please link to those specific products? Thank you!




https://www.amazon.com/Plano-23600-01-Stowaway-Adjustable-Di...

I bought these ad OP looks like the same. This was the first game I ever even thought about it and it made unboxing so easy.


That is the exact Amazon listing I bought from for the 3600s, and for the 3601 I purchased two from this listing (I wanted an extra to see if I can do something about Commands and Colors: Ancients): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ECQPSO/ref=oh_aui_deta...


Just bought the 3601. That one is perfect for the status/scenario tokens
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Lorenceau
United States
flag msg tools
Anyone know where you can get piano boxes in Europe, or more specifically France?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dynalange129 wrote:
RyanH wrote:
Dynalange129 wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:
Thanks for doing this! I've *gasp* never purchased plano boxes before. But for this game... I think I'm gonna have to break down and do it. When I searched for the ones you mentioned on Amazon, I wasn't certain I found the right ones. Could you please link to those specific products? Thank you!




https://www.amazon.com/Plano-23600-01-Stowaway-Adjustable-Di...

I bought these ad OP looks like the same. This was the first game I ever even thought about it and it made unboxing so easy.


That is the exact Amazon listing I bought from for the 3600s, and for the 3601 I purchased two from this listing (I wanted an extra to see if I can do something about Commands and Colors: Ancients): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ECQPSO/ref=oh_aui_deta...


Just bought the 3601. That one is perfect for the status/scenario tokens


3x of that first one? Really? That's $76 before shipping worth of storage!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanathonos wrote:
Anyone know where you can get piano boxes in Europe, or more specifically France?


Gloomhaven is big and epic but that's maybe going a bit far surprise
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan H
United States
California
flag msg tools
epilepticemu wrote:
3x of that first one? Really? That's $76 before shipping worth of storage!


Check the listing - it comes with 4. You'll have 1 left over for another game. Free 2 day shipping if you have prime.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanH wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:
3x of that first one? Really? That's $76 before shipping worth of storage!


Check the listing - it comes with 4. You'll have 1 left over for another game. Free 2 day shipping if you have prime.


Ahh ok, thank you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This storage solution is so good I've bookmarked it.
4 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T McC
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this, super helpful. I usually just go with baggies and call it a day, but when I looked inside the railroad freight car game box and saw how much was in there, I quickly realized that wasn't gonna cut it here.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan H
United States
California
flag msg tools
thinman13 wrote:
Thanks for this, super helpful. I usually just go with baggies and call it a day, but when I looked inside the railroad freight car game box and saw how much was in there, I quickly realized that wasn't gonna cut it here.


I'm the same way! I've always gone with baggies until Gloomhaven. I'm curious if there are people out there who are just bagging everything. Setup seems like it would be miserable enough that it would dissuade me from playing, despite how great the game is.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanH wrote:
thinman13 wrote:
Thanks for this, super helpful. I usually just go with baggies and call it a day, but when I looked inside the railroad freight car game box and saw how much was in there, I quickly realized that wasn't gonna cut it here.


I'm the same way! I've always gone with baggies until Gloomhaven. I'm curious if there are people out there who are just bagging everything. Setup seems like it would be miserable enough that it would dissuade me from playing, despite how great the game is.

I've gone with bagging for the forseeable future, combined with a couple of other tips already seen around the forums.

One packet of each of these bags (1) (2) was enough to store everything - one standee per bag, the overlay tiles are grouped a bit and I've labelled the overlay bags. Those bags are then further organised into sandwich bags: one for humanoid monsters, one for bosses, one for animals/demons, two for overlay tiles (one for doors/traps/treasure, one for everything else), and I think the gameplay stuff (conditions, damage, summons, xp tokens, etc) went into a final sandwich bag.

The modifier decks are all sleeved and bagged, as are the curses, blesses and -1s. Monster abilities are just in the monster section of the insert separated by monster cards, as suggested by Isaac. Item cards have gone into business card sheets, the other cards are just in their respective sections in the insert though I intent to create tuckboxes for them - to go in the insert.

Map tiles, stickers, envelopes, scenario book and manual (as well as player aids that I've printed from BGG) are all in a portable expanding file that stays outside the box (see Alex Florin's post for an example, also mentioned by Paul Grogan), meaning that I have several inches room in the top of the box that I have soft plans for (involving papercraft)

I may make tweaks, but will hold off on major modifications until I see what Meeple Reality comes up with, and other innovations from the community. I doubt I'll return the map tiles to the box though; storing them vertically and alphabetically so I can flip through to the exact tiles I need is of so much more benefit to me than having it all in one box. Having a convenient and permanent home for the scenario and rule books is a distinct benefit for me, too.

ETA: I'm not convinced that my setup is going to be any worse than using planos, to be honest. Looking over the OP here again, you are going to have to remove EVERYTHING from the box to set up the scenario anyway, and I think it will be easier to flip through baggies to find a particular standee than try to search through some of those standees that are stacked sideways in the plano. If every standee was visible then the plano would have an advantage, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Doubly-so for overlay tiles, because there really isn't any rhyme or reason to what's on each side of each tile - which is why I labelled those bags rather than have to look at each side of each tile to find some one-hex-coal overlays (which have multiple different back-sides).

Edit: Images
In the box


Outside the box
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc Nguyen
United States
California
flag msg tools
Any idea if those Monster Modifier Cards would fit if sleeved?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
ORVAULT
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanathonos wrote:
Anyone know where you can get piano boxes in Europe, or more specifically France?


Pareil amazon
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan H
United States
California
flag msg tools
MrTroy wrote:
ETA: I'm not convinced that my setup is going to be any worse than using planos, to be honest. Looking over the OP here again, you are going to have to remove EVERYTHING from the box to set up the scenario anyway, and I think it will be easier to flip through baggies to find a particular standee than try to search through some of those standees that are stacked sideways in the plano. If every standee was visible then the plano would have an advantage, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Doubly-so for overlay tiles, because there really isn't any rhyme or reason to what's on each side of each tile - which is why I labelled those bags rather than have to look at each side of each tile to find some one-hex-coal overlays (which have multiple different back-sides).


The overlay tiles and monster standee compartments are all labeled by name, which makes things very easy as the scenario book always shows their names along with an icon. Without it, I agree that it would be a pain in the ass searching through it.

ellveenuu wrote:
Any idea if those Monster Modifier Cards would fit if sleeved?


The monster modifier cards are sleeved in the picture and fit fine! If you wanted to sleeve all of the monster ability cards I am not totally sure if they would fit. Possibly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrián Sánchez Celada
Spain
flag msg tools
Great solution, I think I'll go with this. Btw, what dimensions are the zip-lock game size baggies that you used? How many did you need? I don't know which baggies I should use.

Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan H
United States
California
flag msg tools
Panic ADRIMAN wrote:
Great solution, I think I'll go with this. Btw, what dimensions are the zip-lock game size baggies that you used? How many did you need? I don't know which baggies I should use.

Thank you!


Most of the bags are just normal sandwich-sized ziploc bags. I use a few small game size ones I had that came with another game, but I'm not really sure what size.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Added some images to my earlier comment so people can judge for themselves.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc Nguyen
United States
California
flag msg tools
Plan on using this storage solution, or at least most of it!

Anyone have a printable file for the box labels? Not a fan of my hand writing skills
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Penny
Australia
Greenslopes
Queensland
flag msg tools
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy yourself a label printer for 20 bucks that youll then be able to use for ther things.

Looks neater than a piece of paper stuck to the lid too
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.