Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
New category: BEST DECK & DICE GAME

This category was added at the suggestion of Kai Scheuer.

To qualify for this award your game must use ONLY standard 54-card playing decks (any number of these) and dice (any number in any shape).

Tip this post to contribute to the prize pot for Best Deck & Dice Game.

Correction: Not only standard decks! Decks with customized cards are perfectly fine as well!

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
schattentanz wrote:
JohnKean wrote:

To qualify for this award your game must use ONLY standard 54-card playing decks (any number of these) and dice (any number in any shape).

Correction: Not only standard decks! Decks with customized cards are perfectly fine as well!

Sorry, now I am confused. Do you mean I could use an Uno deck, Or a No Thanks! deck, or a set of Love Letter cards, for example? Or a Decktet deck? Or can I supply my own PnP custom cards? Or do they have to be the traditional playing card decks of four suits, ace to king plus two jokers?

Perhaps you could draft a sentence for me to use in the category rule.

Thanks Kai!

JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
schattentanz wrote:
JohnKean wrote:

Sorry, now I am confused. Do you mean I could use an Uno deck, Or a No Thanks! deck, or a set of Love Letter cards, for example? Or a Decktet deck? Or can I supply my own PnP custom cards? Or do they have to be the traditional playing card decks of four suits, ace to king plus two jokers?

Thanks Kai!

JK

I think it's meant to be DICE (any) and CARDS (any, such as PNP, standard, preferably not other games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi all,

Great to see so much interest in the first 24 hours of the contest!

I thought it might be useful to address a couple of points that came in discussion about the contest last year.

Rule: Must be a new game

First, there was a lot of debate at the time about whether re-entries should be allowed from other contests. I decided this year to stick with the previous rule that: NO, entries must be new games that were not publicly available before the start of the contest. There were a lot of factors driving that decision, among them:

This was the policy of Nate, who started the contests, and which he defended very eloquently here.

A poll supported this as the majority stance.

The main aim of this contest is to encourage the development of new 2-player games (see top of the rules above).

The main counter argument at the time seemed to be that there should be a contest to encourage ongoing polishing and perfecting of games that might otherwise be abandoned after their first contest. This is now addressed by the PnP Game Design Awards.

Having said that, the rules make provision for games that were withdrawn in previous years to enter here. At the moment it only applies to games withdrawn from the 2-player contest, but I am willing to debate whether it should be broadened to games withdrawn from any other BGG contest, assuming of course that they are 2-player games. I have posted a poll in a separate thread which will run for one week, after which I'll make a call on that. Please post in that thread if you want to debate this.

Also, please note the rule that "Entries may build on previous games, but the new version should be significantly different from the original one." I will edit this to clarify that significant differences would include changing the player count to include 2 players when this was not previously supported. For example, a solitaire game entered in a previous solo contest could be modified to accommodate 2 players playing competitively (but not co-operatively). Similarly, many games with higher player counts include special rules to allow them to be played effectively with two, and this may make them suitably different games. [big voice]As the organiser and major sponsor of this contest I reserve the right to make a final call on this and any other rules issue that arises[/big voice].

Feature: Sponsored categories

One of the changes I made this year was removing the mechanic and genre categories that appeared sporadically in previous years (e.g. Best Miniature Combat Game, Best Wargame, Best bluffing game, Best dice-based game etc). In their place I added two categories that I think are particularly relevant to 2-player games: Best Date Night Game (which previously appeared as Most spouse friendly game) and Best Game to Play with Your Child (similar to the previous Best child-friendly game).

However, I am willing to add back additional categories so long as the proposer is willing to sponsor that category for at least 50 . This is to make sure the category is worthwhile for entrants and to justify the extra work in collecting and collating the votes, etc.

You'll see that I have already done this for Kai's suggestion above. If anyone else wants to sponsor a category, please let me know. I will not add any more categories after 15 March to prevent further disruptions for the designers.

I hope there are lots of great game ideas budding out there. And for those of you who are not planning to enter but are planning to play-test (we love you most of all!) don't forget that there are already games that are component ready, so you can get playing straight away.

Have fun everyone!
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
However, I am willing to add back additional categories so long as the proposer is willing to sponsor that category for at least 50 . This is to make sure the category is worthwhile for entrants and to justify the extra work in collecting and collating the votes, etc.
Oho!

I can make requests? Sorry, sponsor things I like is what I meant.

From the top of my head, I'd like to support language independent games, or let's call it appropriately, games with "no necessary ingame text". Best use of symbology/iconography? Whatever you'll make of it, I'd start the price pot with 50 , ok. Might be a bit of overlap with the others, tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you get when you think about a 2 player game and listen to “The Kraken” by the instrumental band "In Each Hand A Cutlass" on a 2 hour commute? “Intruders On Our Seas”, where each player chooses from seven sea creatures to defend the central island from seafaring humans. Players can take possession of more creatures as the game progresses. Win by destroying more human ships than your opponent.

Check out the idea phase WIP for more info: [WIP] Intruders On Our Seas - A Submission to the 2017 Two-Player PnP Contest - Contest Ready

EDIT: Updated with draft game logo and some clarifications to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
New category: BEST USE OF LANGUAGE INDEPENDENT COMPONENTS

This category was added at the suggestion of Karsten.

To qualify for this award your game must use custom components (custom cards, tiles, boards etc) but these must be language independent. You may use the Hindu–Arabic numerals (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9) and icons or symbols, but the only use of a particular language should be in the rules document. The rules can be submitted in whatever language(s) you like, but an English version must be provided.

Tip this post to contribute to the prize pot for Best Game with Language Independent Components.

Games entered in this category are:
66d6
Abstract Network
ACNOS
Alchelemental
Battle on the Skyscraper
Café Express
Card Clash
Colonnade
Continental Drift
Cooking Rumble
Death Star
D.I.E. Interceptor
Discussion
Druthers
Equal
Fleet Ambush
Honeysuckle Harvest
Horde Valley
Intruders On Our Seas
MALU
Pawn Command
Siege of Armagh
Space Fight
Stained Glass Windows
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
A skinned math nerd wrote:
JohnKean wrote:
However, I am willing to add back additional categories so long as the proposer is willing to sponsor that category for at least 50 :gg:. This is to make sure the category is worthwhile for entrants and to justify the extra work in collecting and collating the votes, etc.
Oho!

I can make requests? :D Sorry, sponsor things I like is what I meant. :P ;)

From the top of my head, I'd like to support language independent games, or let's call it appropriately, games with "no necessary ingame text". Best use of symbology/iconography? Whatever you'll make of it, I'd start the price pot with 50 :gg:, ok. Might be a bit of overlap with the others, tho.

Karsten,
Does the entry above capture your intent? If not, let me know and I'll edit it.
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
schattentanz wrote:
JohnKean wrote:

Thanks Kai!

JK

Yes, participants are allowed to use any number of any kind of 54 card decks. No matter, whether those are standard playing cards, a decktet or a deck completely designed by the participant.
Anything is allowed here!
Also, each deck included may contain different cards!
So if a participant creates for example a trading game, he might design currency cards, market stand cards and event cards. As long as the total number of cards is 54 or a multiple thereof, the requirements are met and he may compete for this category.
(Example from above: 50 currency cards, 30 market stands and 28 eventcards = 108 cards = 2x54 cards - perfect!)

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
OK gotcha. Category has been edited.
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
Does the entry above capture your intent?
It's swell. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Announcing another entry...

Wolfe & Co

is a simple tile laying set collection game featuring fairy tale characters.

Still in idea phase, but hopefully prototype cards will be coming soon to a download site near you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nace
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any limits to the components you can use? I can't seem to find any limits in the opening post (maybe I'm just blind )

Edit: I am an idiot, it says right in the first post there are no limits on components blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandeminatic wrote:
Are there any limits to the components you can use? I can't seem to find any limits in the opening post (maybe I'm just blind )

Edit: I am an idiot, it says right in the first post there are no limits on components blush

There are limits for the Deck & Dice category!
Aside from that, there aren't any..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Cipiere
France
Courbevoie
flag msg tools
mb
This is my entry for the 2017 2 players PnP contest

Karnak & Louxor

Karnak & Louxor is a 15 minutes card game that see two opposing high priests of ancient egypt trying to build the gods' most favored temple (Karnak or Louxor)

Mechanisms :
Majority
Collection
Special powers
Hand Management
Draft (a weird one)

It is solely composed of 28 cards

Check this out !!

Olivier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb

Wolfe & Co is now components ready (albeit with limited art).

Colour and low ink versions are available - see the WIP thread for details.

Cheers,
JK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
RULE CHANGE

In response to the overwhelming majority vote, you may now enter a game that was withdrawn from any previous BGG contest (not just previous 2-player contest), with the proviso that it is a 2-player game.

Remember - games will be judged on how well they work for 2 players, so please don't go entering a game withdrawn from the solitaire contest and call it a co-op for two...

I have edited the top post to reflect the rule change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
kingspud wrote:
Hi John,

I have a two player game that is entered into the 9-card contest and was wondering if I could enter it into this contest instead! I would remove it from the 9-cards and it would only be in this contest. Is this possible?

Hi again Joe,

I know I previously told you that this would not be allowed, but the new rule change (see previous post) means that it will.

If you do decide to go ahead, please post an announcement here as per usual practice.

Good luck with whichever contest you decide to go for!

JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Schulz
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Street Racing

Players: 2
Game Time: 15 minutes

Street Racing is a hand management racing game between two sports car drivers pushing their luck to finish first.

Most cards can be used for two of three things: acceleration, braking, or handling. Each turn, drivers must decide what cards to play for which benefit... going faster wins races, but go too fast and you might not be able to handle that upcoming corner.

Each car's deck is also customizable as players settle on their preferred driving style.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25176286#25176286
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Seidman
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for running the contest, John! (This is my first BGG contest so let me know if I did anything wrong)

I've skipped straight to components ready for Continental Drift. Here's my WIP thread.

Continental Drift

The cool part about the game is that it requires NO setup. Literally print and then play. If anyone wants to play, right now I'm looking for any feedback on the instructions: are they good enough, or do they need clarification?

Download the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
kingspud wrote:
Hi John,

I have a two player game that is entered into the 9-card contest and was wondering if I could enter it into this contest instead! I would remove it from the 9-cards and it would only be in this contest. Is this possible?

Hi again Joe,

I know I previously told you that this would not be allowed, but the new rule change (see previous post) means that it will.

If you do decide to go ahead, please post an announcement here as per usual practice.

Good luck with whichever contest you decide to go for!

JK

Sweet!
Thanks John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Oh interesting! I will enter with my 3 years old draft Vinland.

Post to be edited.

Avalain wrote:

In the darkness of the winternight the young men gathered around the fire, listening to the old man`s tale. He claimed to be one of the men, who once discovered the fabled lands of Vinland. But was it true? Even as the old man left, his stories remained, took root in the dreams and desires of men. Most of them kept dreaming but some brave or foolish enought were ready to leave their lifes behind and become legends, or die trying.
This is their Story.

In Vinland, the Players take the Role of two of four characters from the Vinland Saga, the merchant brothers Helgi and Finnbogi, the fierce shieldmaiden Freydís and her brother Leif Eiríksson, children of Erik the Red and in their shadow, Eyiolf Thorgestsson seeking revenge for a blood depth. Adventures and fame will welcome the brave, if they survive the sea of storms and blood, entangled in a net of betrayal and ambition.
The first version of Vinland will follow the characters on their travel across Greenland, past the frozen island of bears and beyond the deep forests of Markland. The Game can be either played as a racing game, to reach Vinland first, or as a co-op game on a shared expedition. Vinland will be a 18 Cards game and tries to merge the dense historical references with a light encountersystem.

Inspired by latest trend for minimalistic games like Loveletter and Tiny Epic Kingdom, I wanted to create such a small-component-count game but incorporate the whole gameplay of games like Archipelago, Robinson Crusoe and Arkham Horror into it. A very inpiring example is Todd Sanders Barrier Planes gamedesign.

A first designdecision is that it should work with only 18 Cards. So far I planned on 2 Player Hero-Cards, 2 Track-Cards for different elements of the Game. 7 Cards will show maps, on which the Ship of the Players can move, the other 7 Cards will be the Journey-Cards, having three types of encounters on them.

The theme resolves around the fabled Continent of Vinland (america) discovered by Vikings way ahead of Columbus. The player have to play two members of an expedition into the unknown West. Its a coop game in which they have to survive Weather on land and sea, encounter Wild Animals and rediscover lost settlements, ruins and gravesides of former expeditions.

The Game ends, when they cross the last of the seven sea(card)s and may reach Vinland. Its not about the arrival in Vinland, but about the Journey of the Vikings to that fabled place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian Babcan
Slovakia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hello John and everybody else here, who loves good games

I'd like to take part in this fine contest with a pirate-memory-adventure game called Last Chance (The Treasure of the Cursed Island) suitable for kids as well, with language independent cards and hopefully a new mechanic.

you can take a look at the IDEA phase of the game here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1734643/wip-last-chance-tre...

looking forward to your feedback and hopefully with your help I will be able to present to you a fun game

wishing luck to all the other contestants, hopefully there'll be time to check upon your games as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Avalain wrote:
Oh interesting! I will enter with my 3 years old draft Vinland

Fantastic! Please post a link to your WIP thread when you are ready and I'll add you to the list of entries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew dunbar
msg tools
designer
I would like to submit Knossus to this contest : https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25190541

first time entering a contest so please do tell me anything I've done wrong!

PnP files are here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5aM9F9Hukl9emlKR1lDeHJKRG...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [20] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.