GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,491 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
501 Posts
[1]  Prev «  17 , 18 , 19 , 20 , 21  Next »  [21] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Contests

Subject: 2017 Two-Player Print and Play Game Design Contest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG:PnP-Contests [+] [View All]
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the hard work in running this competition!

It has been a few intense weeks developing an entire game from scratch, and I certainly learned a lot along the way.

I have to admit the whole playtesters situation has left me with a bit of a sour aftertaste, so I sincerely hope it can be solved.

If I can find the time, I'll be back for the next 2P PNP competition (which will be when?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Printing a few of the winning games I haven't played yet. Hope they're fun.

Now that all is said and done; postmortem time. What have you learned for the next competition? What went wrong? What went right?

For me, the most obvious wrong is requiring 66 dice; practically nobody has that many dice so practically nobody played the game. I feel this also applies to games that require printing and cutting over a hundred cards or printable components in non-rectangular shapes. There are some other games in this competition that did look interresting, but failed this basic component requirement hurdle as much as my own game. Likewise, these didn't end up high in the end results either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Seidman
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
CONTEST RESULTS

I thought people were joking about the spoilers feeling like Oscars results, but they really were tense!

Thanks so much for running this John! This contest was a great reason to revisit a concept I thought was doomed, and get a lot of great feedback. Now I guess I need to make revisions and figure out what to do with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Seidman
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tynes wrote:
Printing a few of the winning games I haven't played yet. Hope they're fun.

Now that all is said and done; postmortem time. What have you learned for the next competition? What went wrong? What went right?

For me, the most obvious wrong is requiring 66 dice; practically nobody has that many dice so practically nobody played the game. I feel this also applies to games that require printing and cutting over a hundred cards or printable components in non-rectangular shapes. There are some other games in this competition that did look interresting, but failed this basic component requirement hurdle as much as my own game. Likewise, these didn't end up high in the end results either.

I think you're right; it's looking like easier to setup components and submitting earlier resulted in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milo del mal
Mexico
CDMX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ramenhotep wrote:

I think you're right; it's looking like easier to setup components and submitting earlier resulted in

There was this thing I did not know about low ink components, which I never thought about, but it is OK. It was my first time entering to a tabletop design contest.

I just wanted to test Cooking Rumble, as it is a game I have been chasing to publish on Kickstarter (Exactly as I posted here, with the exception that art will change, and I want to make the black tokens little frying pans).

I think making it to almost every top I wanted is a good result, and I am glad people enjoyed it. I am just a little bit saddened I did not get a lot of feedback in terms of playability; I do not know if it is because the game is good as is, or what, but well...

That said...

Tynes wrote:
...practically nobody has that many dice so practically nobody played the game. I feel this also applies to games that require printing and cutting over a hundred cards or printable components in non-rectangular shapes.

I think that was a matter of wanting to play; certainly, late joiners were at disadvantage, but It was just a friendly contest.

I played yours twice, and in order to do that I had to order dice online.

As I mentioned before, I think you nailed the theme (I voted you best for theme). I think the 66 dice idea was really novel, you just need to tweak your game a little bit more to make it a little bit faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if there really was anything that went wrong, but it has been a good and challenging experience to write the rules in english which I still am uncomfortable with, yet has written and read rules since late 80's.

I will do this again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pawn Command now has BGG game page. Rules are updated there and in the WiP thread to version 0.4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milo del mal
Mexico
CDMX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys. I made a kickstarter campaign for my entry of this contest.

We got funded in under four hours. I inquire all of you (because I did not rank that high) to lose your fear and try to publish your games; there are some really great games here.

And finally, if anyone is interested, this is the link for my project:
https://goo.gl/JC4ffg

See you guys, besos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Milo! Good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Seidman
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Just to let you know, I have finally sorted out the microbadge for this contest (well THERE'S a whole other part of BGG!) and hopefully it will be winging its way to all contest entrants very shortly...

mb

Cheers,
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Edwards
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for the microbadge! I shall wear it with pride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
(well THERE'S a whole other part of BGG!)
Tell me about it!

Thanks for sorting the badge John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the badge! bummed I didn't come in on any places, but better luck to me next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Edwards
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
Please could anyone advise me on where I might find a suitable home for my game now? Is there a PnP section for sharing games?

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you created a BGG game listing for your game? If so, you can upload your component and rules files there.

https://boardgamegeek.com/item/create/boardgame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Edwards
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tynes wrote:
Have you created a BGG game listing for your game? If so, you can upload your component and rules files there.

https://boardgamegeek.com/item/create/boardgame

Thanks very much for that, Martijn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sindre Finnøy
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
milo_del_mal wrote:
I inquire all of you (because I did not rank that high) to lose your fear and try to publish your games;

If you are willing to share, I would be interested to hear about the technicalities of how you are publishing the game.
The more details the better.

That is what scares me most about publishing, everything you have to work out to get the game to the customer at a reasonable cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milo del mal
Mexico
CDMX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are lots of things to cover, you are right, it is scary.
So, lemme tell you a little bit more.

By the way, Mr.Stonemaier knows much more than I do, but I will drop you as much condense knowledge as I have: https://stonemaiergames.com/kickstarter/full-list-chronologi...

Games are sold in retail usually at 5 times (sometimes 6 times) their cost; you might be thinking. "Oh, that is a great profit margin", but it is not. You have to take in account the retail's earning, the shipping, export fees, if you are launching in kickstarter or not (they take a small cut) and which pledge management system you use (they take another small one, we are using "BackerKit" with our Kickstarter campaign).

So, from your Total Kickstarter fund you give 5% to Kickstarter, and between 3 and 5% to your pladge manager. Also, take in account your takes, in Mexico it is 16%, which you "get back" spending those takes and filing your tax forms at the end of the year. Make sure to check with your lawyer.

Our basic version of Cooking Rumble is being printed in México, we are testing if we can achieve international product quality, if you like it, I can put you in touch with my provider, he prints and sands the product. You minimum amount of copies to produce is 1,000.

Our deluxe version is being made with Panda Games (Twittter: https://twitter.com/pandagm), they have manufacted games like Pandemic, so you know what quality to expect. The minimum amount of copies (for us) is 1,500. There add how much shipping back home will take, of if you want to ship directly to your fullfillment centers (more on that later).

So, basically, Cooking Rumble basic is 150 pesos or 8 dollars... Our production costs are approximately 25 to 30 pesos, which is approx 1.5 USD. So, from each copy (since we are skipping retail on KS) we are earning about 4.5 dollars, and then we are splitting it in 4 (our 4 team members), so I am earning about a dollar for each copy. (It is not a lot, but when you live in a third world country, it counts, it might help me get ballet classes for my daughter).

Expect a split like this one the game is in the market, for a 10 USD game.
2 USD -> Manufacturing
2 USD -> Shipping and taxes
3 USD -> Team's Earnings
3 USD -> Retail Earnings

Now, shipping, there are these places named "Fullfillment centers", using regular mail is EXPENSIVE AF! Fillfillment centers are hotspots where you send your game, and they send them to the people in that country. In Mexico, the guys who helped me (They are my friends) are named "Aether Tower", and they act as a México friendly fullfillment center. Let me list what we used for our campaign. (And once again, Stonemaier has a list of Fullfillment centers).

Mexico -> Aether Tower.
USA -> FunAgain Games.
Canada -> Starlit Citadel.
Europe -> Games Quest
Australia -> AetherWorks.

Consider your volume and weight when shipping...
From which it comes the expensive part, sending prototypes away.

There is an issue with making prototypes. It is as EXPENSIVE to make one copy as it is to make 1000; why? Because the way sanding is done.

You make a sanding plate, which is about 250 USD (It was lots of money for me), and unless you make a digital print, you have to do 4 plates for your "Mass printing", one for each color, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black. (Literally, you pass your page 4 times through a printer for mass printing). If you want to make professional looking prototypes in México, I can let you borrow my sanding models, and we can talk with my provider to make you a few. I got my first 50 prototypes for 250 USD... Which is something I have already recovered with my campaign.

You can alternatively do THIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-VZCniz7Mw

And a very important part. Marketing your game. Send your game to reviewers, we contacted about 30, about 20 agreed, and we got around 15 media coverages. After that, during your campaign keep looking for coverage: Podcasts, other blogs, local media. Make sure you keep pushing content and updates.

It is a lot of work, but it is really exciting.
If you have more questions, feel free to ask me here. And I gtg, late for work, ttyl.

Campaign: https://goo.gl/JC4ffg
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milo_del_mal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sindre Finnøy
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thank you so much, this will be really helpfull

We still have some work to be done with the game before we feel we can sell it, but I should probably start looking into this a bit whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any plans for organizing another 2 player contest in 2018 as well?

Kind regards,
Kai (who already has got an idea he could enter ...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
Are there any plans for organizing another 2 player contest in 2018 as well? :)

Yes, I will aim to kick off on Valentine's Day again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sindre Finnøy
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I will try to find time to playtest

Don't think I will enter next year, need to try to do something with Fireball before I make a new game again.

Kickstarting is a lot of work :S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
schattentanz wrote:

YAY!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ollie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
schattentanz wrote:

Is there a thread to follow that you will be announcing the start in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  17 , 18 , 19 , 20 , 21  Next »  [21] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.