New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
schattentanz wrote:
dsals wrote:
kingspud wrote:
JohnKean wrote:
New category: BEST DECK & DICE GAME

To qualify for this award your game must use ONLY standard 54-card playing decks (any number of these) and dice (any number in any shape).

Hi John,

Does the game need to have both a 54-card deck and some number of dice to qualify? Or could it just be a deck game, or just a dice game?

Answering, as I introduced that category:
Deck & Dice means, you have to use cards AND dice with both being the only components of your game.

Kind regards,
Kai

Thanks Kai. I have now clarified this in the rules.

JK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi! I'd like to enter Card Clash as my entry for this contest!

I don't expect I'll do terribly well since it's my first "completed" game (that I've actually have tested—I've made another, but have never tested it and I'm pretty sure it's awful), but I don't see any reason not to enter it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sals
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
schattentanz wrote:
Deck & Dice means, you have to use cards AND dice with both being the only components of your game.

Thanks Kai! Your category inspired a game the other night, that I'm calling One Two Three. It's still in the idea phase, but I'm looking forward to play-testing it.

One Two Three is a 2-4 player card game filler where players count according to one set of rules while playing cards according to different ones. The fun comes from trying to keep part of your attention on the count (1-2-3-1-2-3) and another part on the cards, which also have 1s, 2s and 3s on them but don't get played in that order. Dice create both a time pressure element and a way of besting your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Here's a link using the article command instead: go here

I'll add the latest two entries to the list tonight when I'm back to a real computer - doing it on my phone would be a real pain. So in the meantime: welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sals
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
JohnKean wrote:
Here's a link using the article command instead: go here

Thanks John, that worked for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
I'll add the latest two entries to the list tonight when I'm back to a real computer - doing it on my phone would be a real pain. So in the meantime: welcome!

Thanks! And thanks for putting on the contest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Fish
United States
Soldotna
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
FIREBALL!!!!!!!

Fireball! Fireball! Fireball! is component ready!

Go to WIP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sindre Finnøy
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
0Shea0 wrote:

Fireball! Fireball! Fireball! is component ready!

Go to WIP!

A less ink heavy card alternative will be coming at a later time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Ambrose
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Birds of the Heir is component ready.

Feedback welcomed, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sals
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sindrelf wrote:
0Shea0 wrote:

Less heavy ink is good for PnP, but I love the art
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
PLAYTESTER SPOT PRIZES: WEEK 3

See this post for background on the playtester spot prizes.

In one week's time I will award a spot prize for the most useful feedback given between now and then on one of the following games:

Continental Drift by Max Seidman
Tectonic plates are shifting and the mighty continent of Pangaea is splitting up! Compete to divide the continent in this no-setup print and play game.

Death Star by Omar Mariotti
The war is upon us. The battles for the conquest of the worlds are already in place, may the best win!

I will award 10 from the 90 remaining from the generous donation by Kai Scheuer.

Please tip this post to add to this spot prize. For every extra 10 donated to the prize pot an additional playtester will be rewarded!

WINNER

This week's prize of 12 goes to:

bag George Killick for feedback on DeathStar

Last week's winners were announced here.

Thank you to all playtesters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sindre Finnøy
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
dsals wrote:
Sindrelf wrote:
0Shea0 wrote:

Less heavy ink is good for PnP, but I love the art

Thank you

The less ink one is ready now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Alamantus wrote:
JohnKean wrote:

Thanks! And thanks for putting on the contest!

I've updated the text in my overview to give a better idea of what the game is actually like. Would it be possible to update my summary sentence in the entries post?

The new text:
Card Clash is a quick game that sees 2 players attacking and counterattacking with cards whose type preference beats the previously played card. If your opponent can’t counter your attack with any of the 4 cards in their hand, you win the round! But each successive round adds a new set of stronger cards into both players’ decks, so you’ll want to try to get the first attack in to knock out your opponent before they get a chance to play a devastating attack! The first to win 2 rounds wins the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
OK done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
OK done

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Ambrose
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Birds of the Heir's rulebook has photos now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
2017 CHALLENGES

Well done everyone! Thanks to some extremely generous donations the prize pot is now at 1991 bag. But we are half way through the submission phase and still only have 11 component ready games cry.

So here are my challenges:

Let's do all we can to encourage the Idea Phase games to become Components Ready. Perhaps a designer needs help with graphic design or artwork. Or maybe they just need some encouragement to finish the rules writeup. Thumb their WIPs thumbsup so they know you are there to support them. And let's think about how we can help...

More entries! With such an awesome prize pool there must be budding designs out there that could be entered. Last year's contest had 30 entries - can we equal that?

More playtesting. Let's help make these games as good as they can be. Even if your printer blew up last week and you have no more than 10 minutes to spare you could still proofread someone's rules document. And don't forget the playtester spot prizes - you could win by posting feedback!

The prize pool is incredible, but just for fun, let's see if we can make it exactly 2017 to match the year? You may need to add up the component tips (NB don't forget the 500 from me, and the Language Independent category that appears on page 2 of the thread) to check. But if we go over - no matter.

Big thanks to the designers and playtesters who have contributed so far. And to all the lurkers out there - it's time to throw off your invisibility cloaks and be part of the excitement...

Cheers!
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
the prize pot is now at 1991 bag.

Grunge Rock and parachute pants. can't touch this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:

More entries! With such an awesome prize pool there must be budding designs out there that could be entered. Last year's contest had 30 entries - can we equal that?

Cheers!
JK

As you wish.

My addition to the Deck & Dice category: Druthers.
[WIP] Druthers - A Submission to the 2017 2 Player PnP Contest - COMPONENTS READY

My inspiration for the game was just the word “druthers”. Druthers is a possibly American only, not very common word most often heard in the phrase “If I had my druthers, I would rather…”

After a quick Google search, I learned that druther is actually a slang contraction for “would rather”, d’rather, druther.

So, my idea is to create a fun (hopefully) deck and dice game with a lot of choices. So, if a player would rather do something else, there will usually be another option for them.

At the core, the game is a trick taking card game with the object to win 2 out of 3 hands.

Still mainly an idea, hoping it turns into a real game that is fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sals
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
dsals wrote:
One Two Three is a 2-4 player card game filler where players count according to one set of rules while playing cards according to different ones.

After a fun play-testing session I've amped up the rules quite a bit, as the game wasn't as crazy as I wanted it to be. Counting Cards (new name) now has 6 different numbers to track, and some of the cards have special rules intended to get players tongue tied and twisted.

I'm still feeling out the dice. I created this as a Deck and Dice game because of the category, and the dice worked in the play-testing, but I wonder if the game might be served more by a different time-pressure device....

Cheers,
David

p.s. can we assume in a components-ready version of this that there is no need to provide a print-and-play version of 6-sided dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Quote:
can we assume in a components-ready version of this that there is no need to provide a print-and-play version of 6-sided dice?

Of course there's no need, unless they are custom dice.

I have updated your entry listing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapin Boyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
Siege of Armagh: Mini Two-Player War Game

Hey everyone. I have a late entry if things are still going on: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25403219#25403219

Details
Designer/Developer: Chapin Boyer
Players: 2
Game Time: 25-40 Minutes
Ages: 8+
Current Phase: Idea Phase - Making Components

Overview
Hi all. This is a game in development for the "2017 Two-Player Print and Play Game Design Contest". It is a light war game inspired by the Viking raids on the Irish monastery at Armagh in the 800s. The game is played out on a standard Chess board, with one player controlling the Viking raiders, and the other playing the Irish monastic soldiers. The Vikings must move up the board, sacking villages and looting the monastery for its treasure. The Irish must hold the Vikings off until they can eliminate enough of their troops, or build up reinforcements. Players take turns moving troops, and pushing opposing troops into obstacles and other soldiers to eliminate them. The Irish have the home field advantage, but the Vikings have a few tricks up their sleeves.

Components
- 1 Chess Board
- 12 Player Tokens (double sided)
- 5 House Tokens (double sided)
- 8 River Tokens
- 6 Victory Point Tokens

Contest Categories
- Best Heavy Game? It seems like it fits better here than in casual.
- Best Use of Theme
- Best Game with language Independent Components
- Best New Designer
- Best Game

Looking forward to printing out all your games and giving them a shot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
dsals wrote:
kingspud wrote:
JohnKean wrote:

To qualify for this award your game must use ONLY standard 54-card playing decks (any number of these) and dice (any number in any shape).

Hi John,
Does the game need to have both a 54-card deck and some number of dice to qualify? Or could it just be a deck game, or just a dice game?

Kind regards,
Kai

Is it acceptable to need pencil and paper to keep score for a game in this category?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
schattentanz wrote:
dsals wrote:
kingspud wrote:
JohnKean wrote:

Hi John,

Kind regards,
Kai

Is it acceptable to need pencil and paper to keep score for a game in this category?

Thanks.

No, it isn't.
Suggestion: Create a card with a scoreboard and have players move their dice on the scoreboard.
1 face for the first run over the board, 2 face for the second, and so on ...
6 (faces) x 50 (sqares on the board) = 300 possible points..

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification Kai.

My game is using a standard deck of playing card, plus D6 dice, so I'll have to come up with something else. I know I could use dice as counters, but that seems clunky to me somehow. I'll figure something out.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [20] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.