Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG:PnP-Contests [+] [View All]
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like some "cash cards" could be used like money to keep score as an alternative to tracking cards and dice markers.

General Objection to Cards and Dice category definition:

I find the "no pen and paper for score keeping" rule a bit of not only picking nits but then grooming and dressing them - at least if it is a simple number you are tracking like golf, rummy, hearts, bowling, darts, etc. where you can truly say it is a memory aid for the players - it is actually "used" between "plays" - and not part of the game itself with multiple victory tracks or such.

Even then, a similar restriction would make Yahtzee NOT a dice game.

Note: I have no entry in this category myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gxnpt wrote:
Sounds like some "cash cards" could be used like money to keep score as an alternative to tracking cards and dice markers.

General Objection to Cards and Dice category definition:

I find the "no pen and paper for score keeping" rule a bit of not only picking nits but then grooming and dressing them - at least if it is a simple number you are tracking like golf, rummy, hearts, bowling, darts, etc. where you can truly say it is a memory aid for the players - it is actually "used" between "plays" - and not part of the game itself with multiple victory tracks or such.

Even then, a similar restriction would make Yahtzee NOT a dice game.

Note: I have no entry in this category myself.

Fair point.

Let's put it like this:
If at the end of the game you use pen end paper to calculate your score, then, yes, go for it.
However, if the game requires you to gain X points for this maneuver, lose Y points for that move and then gain another Z points for playing thisandthat, then: no, you'll have to find some other means for scorekeeping.

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sindre Finnøy
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
JohnKean wrote:

More entries!

More playtesting.

I made an entry to the tabletopgamedesign subreddit in the hope that this may bring some more people in.
https://www.reddit.com/r/tabletopgamedesign/comments/60nou6/...

Any way to make this thread more visible here on site?
I never see it on the front page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Sindrelf wrote:
JohnKean wrote:

:star: More entries!

:star: More playtesting.

I made an entry to the tabletopgamedesign subreddit in the hope that this may bring some more people in.
https://www.reddit.com/r/tabletopgamedesign/comments/60nou6/...

Any way to make this thread more visible here on site?
I never see it on the front page.

Thanks Sindre. I don't know anything about reddit, but if it can help draw some more entries or playtesters then that's good.

The front page only shows the latest 10 forum posts, so the only way to increase visibility there is to post more I guess. A deluge of posts might increase visibility a little, but they would need to have actual content!

One way to increase visibility is to post about your builds on the monthly "what games are you PnPing?" thread. There may be other similar places on BGG that we can mention the contest too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sindre Finnøy
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
No problem
I rarely reddit myself, but I know a lot of people like to use it so it can be good to spread the word about stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

is now components ready (first draft of rules are posted). Just add 1 deck of standard playing cards plus 6D6.

[WIP] Druthers - A Submission to the 2017 2 Player PnP Contest - COMPONENTS READY

The game is a best 2 out of 3 rounds trick taking game. Depending on the pencil and paper score keeping allowance, it may change to a total score of 3 rounds is winner.

Thanks!

EDIT: Info for page 1 of this thread:

Druthers by Scott Allen
Druthers is a 2 player deck and dice game using 1 standard deck of playing cards and 6 D6 dice. Druthers is a trick taking card game giving the players plenty of choices along the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1749342/wip-strategic-card-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gugalicious Games
United States
Edgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
publisher
MALU has now been submitted to the WIP section for contest consideration!

I found my way here thanks to Sindrelf's reddit post!

[WIP] MALU - 2017 Two-Player PnP Entry

MALU is an abstract strategy game for 2 or 4 players.

Long ago, high in the Himalayan mountains, a group of traveler monks known as the Malu, wandered through the snowy peaks. Their days were filled with prayer, meditation, and training. As part of their training, they played a single board game. The game was elegant in its simplicity, yet complicated in its mastery. For generations the game was a closely guarded secret and used by the monks to train new acolytes in the art of traversing the narrow passages and treacherous peaks of the Himalayas. One day, while the monks attempted to cross a particularly narrow bit of mountain, a copy of the game was swept away in a snowstorm. It was brought down the mountain by an avalanche and eventually recovered by a small boy from a remote village. The boy was so intrigued by the game that he left his home to wander the mountains, track down the monks and learn the ways of the Malu. Many years passed and the boy eventually grew to be an intelligent man. This man has since returned to civilization and has brought with him the game of the Malu. By sheer chance (or perhaps fate), he has deemed you a worthy challenger. It is now time for you to test your skills... Do you have what it takes to out-think and out-maneuver your opponent and cross the mountain pass in MALU?

The objective of the game is to be the first player to move both your pawns across the map to the other side of the board and exit the map.

The mechanics of the game are simple enough that anyone can pick up and start playing, but the depth of skill and many possible strategies to employ, allows for seasoned players to truly be masters of MALU.

Each turn, a player must move their pawn and place a neutral tile onto the board. As you place your tiles, adjoining tiles create paths that your pawns can move along. As your pawn moves, you have the ability to pick up those tiles and reroute them to your advantage... either as a path to the other side or as a means to block your opponents. But be careful... if you get too close, your opponent can snatch those tiles away from you and use them for themselves! You can also place walls of ice and mountain peaks as obstacles or knock down walls for strategic advantages.

Please check out our BGG Page Here!

PnP and Rulebook soon to come.

Any and all feedback is very welcome!

[edit]Page 1 info

MALU by Andrew Liaw
A secret and ancient abstract strategy game from the Himalayan mountains, created by traveling monks known as the Malu. Players must create and maneuver along paths to cross the mountain pass, prevent your opponent from doing the same, and be the first to the other side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
PLAYTESTER SPOT PRIZES: WEEK 4

See this post for background on the playtester spot prizes.

In one week's time I will award a spot prize for feedback given between now and then on one of the following games:

Alchelemental by Wayne Mathias
Summon alchemical elemental units to the board, navigate the elemental fields, defeat your opponent using location, elemental facings, and chained double movements in conflicts.

Fireball! Fireball! Fireball! by Sindre L. Finnøy and Poop Smith
Fireball, Fireball, Fireball is a light game of magic mischief. Mages (that's you!) hurl spells at each other in an attempt to defeat their opponent with superior spellcasting.

Space Fight by Gilad Yarnitzky
Each player has 3 spaceships and the goal is to eliminate your opponents spaceships. The game is made of 3 cards where one of the cards is actually cut into all the components needed.

I will award 10 from the 80 remaining from the generous donation by Kai Scheuer.

Please tip this post to add to this spot prize. For every extra 10 donated to the prize pot an additional playtester will be rewarded!

WINNERS

This week I had 40 to allocate, but only two playtesters! I have decided to allocate the prizes as:

15 bag for Sindre Finnøy for feedback on Alchelemental

25 bag for Reed Ambrose for feedback on Fireball, Fireball, Fireball

Unfortunately nobody playtested Space Fight, so this game will be carried over for the next week.

Last week's winners were announced here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fuhrman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
One way to increase visibility is to post about your builds on the monthly "what games are you PnPing?" thread. There may be other similar places on BGG that we can mention the contest too.

Would it help to also make a general post in the "Seeking Play Testers" forum that points to this contest thread and conveniently mentions geekgold prizes for playtesters in the subject?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dav Bud
United States
Marlton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
JohnKean wrote:
New category: BEST DECK & DICE GAME

This category was added at the suggestion of Kai Scheuer.

To qualify for this award your game must use ONLY 54-card playing decks (standard playing cards or custom cards, as long as there are exactly 54 cards or a multiple thereof) AND dice (any number in any shape). Both deck AND dice are necessary to qualify.

Tip this post to contribute to the prize pot for Best Deck & Dice Game.

To qualify for the BEST DECK & DICE GAME Category do I have to use all 54 cards or can i just use the 40 numerical cards out of a standard deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PapaDragon wrote:
JohnKean wrote:
New category: BEST DECK & DICE GAME

This category was added at the suggestion of Kai Scheuer.

To qualify for this award your game must use ONLY 54-card playing decks (standard playing cards or custom cards, as long as there are exactly 54 cards or a multiple thereof) AND dice (any number in any shape). Both deck AND dice are necessary to qualify.

Tip this post to contribute to the prize pot for Best Deck & Dice Game.

To qualify for the BEST DECK & DICE GAME Category do I have to use all 54 cards or can i just use the 40 numerical cards out of a standard deck?

No, you'll have to use 54 cards, or a multiple thereof.
You may use, however, any number of dice.

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
MrSaturn17 wrote:
Would it help to also make a general post in the "Seeking Play Testers" forum that points to this contest thread and conveniently mentions geekgold prizes for playtesters in the subject?

Good suggestion, Mark. I have just done that. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sals
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi John,

I have a question about the definition of "Print and Play" as it pertains to this contest:

You mentioned that there's no need to do print and play dice if they are standard shapes and numbers. What about devices like a timer, if one is required? Could I just ask people to use a smartphone app or something like that? Or does that kind of component take us out of the PnP realm?

Thanks for making this a fun experience!
David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey

North Dakota
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/25423072#25423072

Fancy Animals is component ready!

EDIT: updated PNP to color
Rules: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxivENFLlDo3ZkdheXR0RFozbk...

PNP: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxivENFLlDo3X09SXzZmdnluU2...

Fancy Animals is a rummy-type card game where players choose one of four fancy animal portrait boards and use the material cards to make runs in order to acquire fancy clothing items.

It's like Rummikub with a fancy twist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! I've come up with something language independent for this contest!
It is Component Ready - check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
dsals wrote:
Hi John,

I have a question about the definition of "Print and Play" as it pertains to this contest:

You mentioned that there's no need to do print and play dice if they are standard shapes and numbers. What about devices like a timer, if one is required? Could I just ask people to use a smartphone app or something like that? Or does that kind of component take us out of the PnP realm?

Thanks for making this a fun experience!
David

Hi David
Timers are a pretty standard component in games, just like counters and fake money and meeples. So you can just specify it in the components list and leave it up to the players to figure out if they want to use a sand glass or an egg timer or an app etc. You'd need to specify how long you want it to run for too.
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew dunbar
msg tools
designer
Major overhaul of Knossus following a great playtest:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25114769#25114769

Changes include -
Complete new board with faster play time
Revised play mechanics
Male and female heroes
New item!
More cards!
More monsters!

PnP has been updated and will now be playtesting this version 2.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapin Boyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
Siege of Armagh has a rules document and icons! You can grab them here if you are interested in playtesting: https://www.chapinboyer.com/blog/2017/3/20/board-game-geek-c...

Let me know if anything doesn't work, or if you have any questions. I am still getting used to the forum format here, so I apologize if I miss anything. Thanks all!

Quick Edit: I just realized that I forgot to specify the reinforcement mechanics in the rules. Place a defeated Irish token on the reinforcement board at the number of Villages remaining + 1. So if there are 4 Villages, place a defeated token at 5. Move the token down one step each turn. When the token is off the reinforcement board it can be placed back on the main board at any un-looted Village. Placing a piece on the board costs one move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rules are updated slightly.

Please check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Edwards
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
A new submission please
I have a contest ready game that I'd like to submit for this competition, please! I have put it in the WIP section as instructed, but I noticed that some people have also posted here, so I thought that might be a good idea.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1751607/sloops-war-subm...

Apologies if this wasn't the right thing to do. Although I have been a member of BGG for a little over a year, I'm inexperienced in actually contributing to forums and am a little unsure of how to go about things.

I look forward to looking at the other entrees closely soon. They look fascinating and I hope I will get the chance to talk about them and game design in general with their creators in due course.

Since I have finally now posted on BGG, I shall cease lurking!

Good luck all and thank you for the opportunity to share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi Tim!

You have done it exactly right. I wouldn't have picked up on your game if you hadn't posted here. Feel free to use this thread to announce major updates etc, but most of the discussion about your game should go on in the WIP thread.

I'll add your game to the entry list. I hope you get some good feedback and have fun with the contest.

Cheers,
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Edwards
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
JohnKean wrote:
Hi Tim!

You have done it exactly right. I wouldn't have picked up on your game if you hadn't posted here. Feel free to use this thread to announce major updates etc, but most of the discussion about your game should go on in the WIP thread.

I'll add your game to the entry list. I hope you get some good feedback and have fun with the contest.

Cheers,
JK

Hi John, thanks very much for that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'd like to enter. Here's my WIP Thread: Penny in the Cave

Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Starflier wrote:
Hi, I'd like to enter.

Awesome Robin. Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [20] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.