Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
53 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attract action rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barbapapa Barbapou
msg tools
mbmb
Hello,

If there is only one zombie on a place,a survivor can attract it.
If there are two zombies on a place, a survivor can attract only one zombie?

Thank you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Brownscombe
Australia
Faulconbridge
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
• Attract: To perform an attract action, a player must
choose a survivor he controls and spend an action die of
any result to move 2 zombies from any location to any
empty entrance spaces at chosen survivor’s location.

" When zombies overrun a location entrance a survivor
is killed. "

I would say you can move both but the survivors there will be killed as the location becomes overrun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DraphK wrote:
• Attract: To perform an attract action, a player must
choose a survivor he controls and spend an action die of
any result to move 2 zombies from any location to any
empty entrance spaces at chosen survivor’s location.

" When zombies overrun a location entrance a survivor
is killed. "

I would say you can move both but the survivors there will be killed as the location becomes overrun.


You can't use the attract action to overrun a location or to pop a barricade. You can use it to fill a location that will be overrun when the next zombie is added, though.

http://www.plaidhatgames.com/images/games/dead-of-winter/dow...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And I think it has been stated elsewhere that if there are 2 or more zombies at the location you want to attract them from, you have to do 2 -- you can't choose to just attract 1. But if there is only 1, I think that's okay to attract just that one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McManus
United States
Saraland
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if you can attract 1 zombie from one location and a second from a different location?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jam37wcc wrote:
Does anyone know if you can attract 1 zombie from one location and a second from a different location?


No.

Jon Gilmour cleared that up here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1223897/attract-zombies-mor...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McManus
United States
Saraland
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
jam37wcc wrote:
Does anyone know if you can attract 1 zombie from one location and a second from a different location?


No.

Jon Gilmour cleared that up here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1223897/attract-zombies-mor...


Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Although, interestingly, in that thread he does say that it's attract "up to two" zombies. Hmm, in my opinion, that would be an errata to the rules.

And he stated in another thread that he thought the rules actually stated "up to two", which they don't, so I'm not sure I'll believe this one unless they publish an errata.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbapapa Barbapou
msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for the answers

If there are two zombies on a place And there remains 1 place where my survivor is located.
I can attract 1 of 2 zombies because i can't use the attract action to overrun a location or to pop a barricade.

It's correct?



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbapapa2014 wrote:
Thank you for the answers

If there are two zombies on a place And there remains 1 place where my survivor is located.
I can attract 1 of 2 zombies because i can't use the attract action to overrun a location or to pop a barricade.

It's correct?





No. Attract brings two zombies. If you only have one space you cannot bring any zombies from that location.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wmreed wrote:
Barbapapa2014 wrote:
Thank you for the answers

If there are two zombies on a place And there remains 1 place where my survivor is located.
I can attract 1 of 2 zombies because i can't use the attract action to overrun a location or to pop a barricade.

It's correct?


No. Attract brings two zombies. If you only have one space you cannot bring any zombies from that location.


Where is this stated?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
braceletwinner wrote:
wmreed wrote:
Barbapapa2014 wrote:
Thank you for the answers

If there are two zombies on a place And there remains 1 place where my survivor is located.
I can attract 1 of 2 zombies because i can't use the attract action to overrun a location or to pop a barricade.

It's correct?


No. Attract brings two zombies. If you only have one space you cannot bring any zombies from that location.


Where is this stated?

I believe this was clarified in the FAQ they put out, or somewhere in the forums here. Basically, you can not attract zombies to your location if there isn't room to put them. If you only have 1 empty space at your location, you can not attract two zombies and have an overrun killing someone off.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mools wrote:
braceletwinner wrote:
wmreed wrote:
Barbapapa2014 wrote:
Thank you for the answers

If there are two zombies on a place And there remains 1 place where my survivor is located.
I can attract 1 of 2 zombies because i can't use the attract action to overrun a location or to pop a barricade.

It's correct?


No. Attract brings two zombies. If you only have one space you cannot bring any zombies from that location.


Where is this stated?

I believe this was clarified in the FAQ they put out, or somewhere in the forums here. Basically, you can not attract zombies to your location if there isn't room to put them. If you only have 1 empty space at your location, you can not attract two zombies and have an overrun killing someone off.


I realize that you can't attract to cause an overrun (see my reply to OP, above). I want to know where it is stated (officially) that you can't attract only one zombie from a location if two or more are present. That seems very limiting and makes Attract almost worthless.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 10 of the Rulebook wrote:

Attract:To perform an attract action, a player must choose a survivor he controls and spend an action die of any result to move 2 zombies from any location to any empty entrance spaces at chosen survivor’s location.




5.1.0 Attracting Zombies
5.1.1 When using the Attract action, can I move zombies to a location with no spaces available for zombies?
No. Zombies can only be attracted and placed in empty spots. ey do not cause an area to become over run nor do they break down barricades. e same is also true when using the Microphone item card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wmreed wrote:
Page 10 of the Rulebook wrote:

Attract:To perform an attract action, a player must choose a survivor he controls and spend an action die of any result to move 2 zombies from any location to any empty entrance spaces at chosen survivor’s location.




5.1.0 Attracting Zombies
5.1.1 When using the Attract action, can I move zombies to a location with no spaces available for zombies?
No. Zombies can only be attracted and placed in empty spots. ey do not cause an area to become over run nor do they break down barricades. e same is also true when using the Microphone item card.


But a rep from Plaidhat previously said it was "up to two zombies".
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
braceletwinner wrote:
wmreed wrote:
Page 10 of the Rulebook wrote:

Attract:To perform an attract action, a player must choose a survivor he controls and spend an action die of any result to move 2 zombies from any location to any empty entrance spaces at chosen survivor’s location.




5.1.0 Attracting Zombies
5.1.1 When using the Attract action, can I move zombies to a location with no spaces available for zombies?
No. Zombies can only be attracted and placed in empty spots. ey do not cause an area to become over run nor do they break down barricades. e same is also true when using the Microphone item card.


But a rep from Plaidhat previously said it was "up to two zombies".

The only thread I could find about that was Jon Gilmour, the designer, who said he would check later, but I never saw the follow up. Keeping in mind that the publisher/developer has the option to change rules from what the designer wanted, I'll go with published rules for my answer, unless you can point to the thread.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wmreed wrote:
braceletwinner wrote:
wmreed wrote:
Page 10 of the Rulebook wrote:

Attract:To perform an attract action, a player must choose a survivor he controls and spend an action die of any result to move 2 zombies from any location to any empty entrance spaces at chosen survivor’s location.




5.1.0 Attracting Zombies
5.1.1 When using the Attract action, can I move zombies to a location with no spaces available for zombies?
No. Zombies can only be attracted and placed in empty spots. ey do not cause an area to become over run nor do they break down barricades. e same is also true when using the Microphone item card.


But a rep from Plaidhat previously said it was "up to two zombies".

The only thread I could find about that was Jon Gilmour, the designer, who said he would check later, but I never saw the follow up. Keeping in mind that the publisher/developer has the option to change rules from what the designer wanted, I'll go with published rules for my answer, unless you can point to the thread.


Linked above.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
braceletwinner wrote:
wmreed wrote:
braceletwinner wrote:
wmreed wrote:
Page 10 of the Rulebook wrote:

Attract:To perform an attract action, a player must choose a survivor he controls and spend an action die of any result to move 2 zombies from any location to any empty entrance spaces at chosen survivor’s location.




5.1.0 Attracting Zombies
5.1.1 When using the Attract action, can I move zombies to a location with no spaces available for zombies?
No. Zombies can only be attracted and placed in empty spots. ey do not cause an area to become over run nor do they break down barricades. e same is also true when using the Microphone item card.


But a rep from Plaidhat previously said it was "up to two zombies".

The only thread I could find about that was Jon Gilmour, the designer, who said he would check later, but I never saw the follow up. Keeping in mind that the publisher/developer has the option to change rules from what the designer wanted, I'll go with published rules for my answer, unless you can point to the thread.


Linked above.


True. But the Rulebook does not reflect that, nor does the published FAQ, nor does the Rulebook for The Long Night. So I believe the publisher chose a different ruling. Feel free to play by house rules if you wish, but in my mind the Rulebook is clear: Attract two zombies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wmreed wrote:
braceletwinner wrote:
wmreed wrote:
braceletwinner wrote:
wmreed wrote:
Page 10 of the Rulebook wrote:

Attract:To perform an attract action, a player must choose a survivor he controls and spend an action die of any result to move 2 zombies from any location to any empty entrance spaces at chosen survivor’s location.




5.1.0 Attracting Zombies
5.1.1 When using the Attract action, can I move zombies to a location with no spaces available for zombies?
No. Zombies can only be attracted and placed in empty spots. ey do not cause an area to become over run nor do they break down barricades. e same is also true when using the Microphone item card.


But a rep from Plaidhat previously said it was "up to two zombies".

The only thread I could find about that was Jon Gilmour, the designer, who said he would check later, but I never saw the follow up. Keeping in mind that the publisher/developer has the option to change rules from what the designer wanted, I'll go with published rules for my answer, unless you can point to the thread.


Linked above.


True. But the Rulebook does not reflect that, nor does the published FAQ, nor does the Rulebook for The Long Night. So I believe the publisher chose a different ruling. Feel free to play by house rules if you wish, but in my mind the Rulebook is clear: Attract two zombies.


I will do that, but I don't consider it a house rule. By limiting the action, it makes using an action die for it terribly expensive if you can't have some control over it. I can't imagine that that was the original intent.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fun!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbapapa Barbapou
msg tools
mbmb
Thank you all,

I hope to one day have an official answer to this point of rule which has already been debated some time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite strange that over multiple threads the publisher can't provide an unambiguous answer .

I think that, in replacement of the restrictive 'has to be 2 zombies no matter what' interpretation of the written rule, we will play with the following clarifications/ amendments:

Attract: To perform an attract action, a player must choose a survivor he controls and spend an action die of any result to move 2 zombies from any location to any empty entrance spaces at chosen survivor’s location unless:
- the chosen source location has only one zombie, or
- the survivor's location has only one empty space.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M p
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
Q: If I attract zombies to the colony, do they follow the usual "place one per number" rule or can I place both of them where I want?
Example: I place 2 zombies in entrance 5
Example 2: I place 1 zombie in entrance 2 and 1 zombie in entracne 4
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ishinken wrote:
Q: If I attract zombies to the colony, do they follow the usual "place one per number" rule or can I place both of them where I want?
Example: I place 2 zombies in entrance 5
Example 2: I place 1 zombie in entrance 2 and 1 zombie in entracne 4


Since the attract action says to "move 2 zombies from any location to any empty entrance spaces at chosen survivor's location," I assume this to mean you can spread them out across multiple entrances at the colony or bunch them up on one entrance. Your choice.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M p
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's a HUGE deal, so a certain answer would be the difference between night and day
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.