Popular Tags: [View All]
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
does the doubling effect from santa rita happen before or after any income reduction from excommunication? [(1-1) *2 != (1 * 2 ) -1 ]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McJarvis wrote:
does the doubling effect from santa rita happen before or after any income reduction from excommunication? [(1-1) *2 != (1 * 2 ) -1 ]

I don't believe they interact at all. Santa Rita only doubles things you receive from the immediate effects of development cards, while the excommunication penalties from era I (to which I assume you refer) only affect things you recieve from action spaces or from cards you already own and are activating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
McJarvis wrote:

I don't believe they interact at all. Santa Rita only doubles things you receive from the immediate effects of development cards, while the excommunication penalties from era I (to which I assume you refer) only affect things you recieve from action spaces or from cards you already own and are activating.

Admittedly I am working from an Italian copy of the game---- My question may be because I am relying on a translation of the excommunication tiles found in this thread:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/24594722#24594722

that post wrote:

Every time you receive money (by action space or development card), get 1 coin less. (if you have multiple cards from which you gain money, consider each card as a single source, then earn 1 coin less per card)

I am interpreting "by development card" to include immediate effects of development cards. Is it just when development cards are activated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McJarvis wrote:
MDJD wrote:
McJarvis wrote:

Admittedly I am working from an Italian copy of the game---- My question may be because I am relying on a translation of the excommunication tiles found in this thread:

that post wrote:

Every time you receive money (by action space or development card), get 1 coin less. (if you have multiple cards from which you gain money, consider each card as a single source, then earn 1 coin less per card)

I am interpreting "by development card" to include immediate effects of development cards. Is it just when development cards are activated?

I think so, yes. I have the English translation that came with the few English copies of the game, and it makes reference to gains from "your cards" when referencing the excommunication tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found an English scan of the tile online, so now I am working from official rules.

The real question is if a development card is considered "yours" when you receive an immediate effect from it. Maybe designer feedback is needed here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
McJarvis wrote:
MDJD wrote:
McJarvis wrote:

that post wrote:

I think so, yes. I have the English translation that came with the few English copies of the game, and it makes reference to gains from "your cards" when referencing the excommunication tiles.

So, the rulebook is not exactly clear on when immediate actions happen. But I did just notice in the recap at the bottom of page 7:

The Rules wrote:

Recap: Place a Family Member on a tower floor...take the bonus if present, pay the cost of the card...., take the card and place it on your personal board, apply the immediate effect of the card if present.

I think a convincing argument could be made that since the card is placed on your board before you take the immediate effect, the card is "yours" when you receive that effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Auken
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also had questions as to how to interpret the rules for this excommunication tile. For example,

1. If you place in the turn order action space(council palace) and choose to take coins as your favor, do you lose the 1 coin on the action space itself plus another 1 of the 2 coins from the favor OR do you just lose 1 of the 3 you would normally receive?

2. If you obtain a development card that provides coins as an immediate effect via a spot that grants you a bonus coin(s), do you lose 1 of the bonus coin(s) plus 1 of the coins from the immediate effect OR do you just lose 1 of the total number of coins you would receive by taking this action and placing the card on your board?

3. When you take the production action do you lose 1 of the coins from your personal bonus tile (in addition to the loss of a coin from each of the applicable development cards)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.