Atlantic Wall: D-Day to Falaise» Forums » Rules

Subject: HQ and no fuel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesús Wargamer
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi.
I have this situation in my game: one Leg Formation HQ is in woods with a trail. The HQ to HQ Supply Path is not possible, it can only be traced through clear terrain or along secondary or primary roads (not trails).
All HQs are MUs, then, how can this HQ receive Fuel to move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Rappael wrote:
Hi.
I have this situation in my game: one Leg Formation HQ is in woods with a trail. The HQ to HQ Supply Path is not possible, it can only be traced through clear terrain or along secondary or primary roads (not trails).
All HQs are MUs, then, how can this HQ receive Fuel to move?

You need to get your HQ onto a road to receive supply. You will have to wait and roll for fuel during Allied/Axis Mode Determination Phase. Remember even though you have no fuel status you can still move if you roll high on the "Fuel Table".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesús Wargamer
Spain
flag msg tools
Thank for your answer. But Leg formations don't use the fuel table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Rappael wrote:
Thank for your answer. But Leg formations don't use the fuel table.

If you are Allies, all allies HQ are treated as mech formation even if "leg"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
Clay has it right. The "leg" units of a US Inf Div don't need fuel. but all those MUs in the division do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Willing to teach games.
badge
Look at my game list and see if there is something you want to play and let's get to playing it.
mb
Joe, I think he is asking HQ to HQ as he also posted on CSW.

The German Corps HQ determines fuel status for a German infantry HQ (and yes, the infantry HQ needs fuel to move) and if it is beyond reach there is a dilemma indeed. You will be in a jam with a German infantry HQ until you can move up your Corps HQ to within supply trace range. On the other-hand, an Allied infantry HQ rolls for its own fuel status so even "no fuel" status can possibly roll for a little fuel on the fuel logistics table. The two nationalities treat infantry HQ's differently.

The real issue needing attention here is why did you move an HQ on a trail? Major NO-NO because HQ to HQ supply is (with the exception of clear hexes) major or minor road trace ONLY [15.2.3a].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesús Wargamer
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi.
An HQ could be in this situation if, for example, it had to retreat due to GA or artillery fire, and its retrat path could not be by a road.

Taking this situation into account, I am applying a home rule: During German Administrative Phase of the SoP, in the Supply Determination Segment, I check the supply status of all German units INCLUDING HQs.

The sense of this home rule is that I evaluate the German Leg Formation HQs just like MUs, so they are able to trace General Supply to a Corps HQ. If it is in GenS, it could move, in the next German Mode Determination Phase, if its Corps HQ's Fuel value allows it.

Example: German Corps HQ's in "No Fuel" status, during the Mode Determination Phase, uses the Fuel Level Table, and rolls a 6, so the result is 3 MPs. Leg Formation HQs subordinated to this Corps HQ would be able to use 16.4.5c (Fuel Value & unit MA) if they are in GenS, and then move in order to be in a road.

Important: The Supply Status of these Leg Formation HQs, is only for they to move in case they cannot trace HQ to HQ Supply Path, not for supplying their subordinated units.

What do you think about this home rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Willing to teach games.
badge
Look at my game list and see if there is something you want to play and let's get to playing it.
mb
Standard supply trace simply doesn't apply HQ to HQ off-road, so if you were to make an effective house rule it would simply need to read; "Any HQ forced to retreat into a non-clear hex off road is eliminated." Quite frankly for the very reason you cite (a forced retreat off road) this should be an amended standard rule and is supported by the fact that any HQ put in that compromising of a situation would likely surrender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hershey
United States
Lebanon
TN
flag msg tools
mb
Joey or Gunny wrote:
Standard supply trace simply doesn't apply HQ to HQ off-road, so if you were to make an effective house rule it would simply need to read; "Any HQ forced to retreat into a non-clear hex off road is eliminated." Quite frankly for the very reason you cite (a forced retreat off road) this should be an amended standard rule and is supported by the fact that any HQ put in that compromising of a situation would likely surrender.

Wouldn't the hq first be placed into on hand supply? In which case it could convert OhS to fuel points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
I'll look into this and the latest rules (those posted up on CSW, which are Version 9.0).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.